BE (Software Engineering) (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by yoshi

That depends on what 'formal programming' means :)

I've messed around with lots of languages, but only concentrated enough to do some projects on a few of them.
The only language I have ever made a program in is javascript, to make a website.

I have read up on C/C++ but have only done basic programming (ie: I can do the "hello world" program).

yoshi

Originally posted by McLake
The only language I have ever made a program in is javascript, to make a website.

I have read up on C/C++ but have only done basic programming (ie: I can do the "hello world" program).
Hehe, programming is just logic anyway. Once you learn a procedural and OO language well, you can transfer those skills between most languages. Javascript is a good start, I think the majority of people go from scripting languages to more complex ones. That's not to say that scripting can't be complex, just normally has nice clean syntax and quick results.

I don't think much programming will be had in the first year in any case. They seem to be flogging us with maths classes.

you guys reckon nsw is better for engineering or uts? I was considering doing software at nsw but opted for actuarials instead because iam quite computer illiterate.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Is anyone (who is a software student) going to the talk on thurs or the school welcome on fri?

yoshi

Is anyone (who is a software student) going to the talk on thurs or the school welcome on fri?
Yah, going Friday.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Didn't see anyone there, where were you?

----------------------------------------

Has anyone enrolled for the BDM Tuts or Labs????
Any words of advice, 'cause enrollment has closed!!!!!

mp3mojo

Yeah Mclake, dat was wat i was talkin about too!! the BDM course - i havent registered for any labs or tuts at all, either. & as u can hear from my voice (or from wat im typin) im still under real stress about dat...

formal programmin? nope i havent done anythin... but done quite alot with html, but dat doesnt really count huh?

I went today (friday) to dat welcome thing, & i dun think it was done too well... commerce was betta... alot more organised...

Last edited:

yoshi

Didn't see anyone there, where were you?

----------------------------------------

Has anyone enrolled for the BDM Tuts or Labs????
Any words of advice, 'cause enrollment has closed!!!!!
I was there, I asked a couple of questions at the end about the electives thing (I have short hair, and am european). Did you get my e-mail McLake? I sent you a photo.

About the BDM thing, I haven't either, so don't stress out... I think lots of people are in the same position. I also have a shiny, brand-new time clash for semester two: a MATH2400 tut and lecture on at the same time (on Monday, 4-5pm). It could be on purpose, because there are no other possible times for either of the clashing courses.

formal programmin? nope i havent done anythin... but done quite alot with html, but dat doesnt really count huh?
Naw, that's more of a formatting language.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC

I was there, I asked a couple of questions at the end about the electives thing (I have short hair, and am european). Did you get my e-mail McLake? I sent you a photo.

About the BDM thing, I haven't either, so don't stress out... I think lots of people are in the same position. I also have a shiny, brand-new time clash for semester two: a MATH2400 tut and lecture on at the same time (on Monday, 4-5pm). It could be on purpose, because there are no other possible times for either of the clashing courses.

Naw, that's more of a formatting language.
Were you sitting in the back, mid-left? I got your email, but the picture was kind-of-fuzzy.

The MATH clash is aparently because the lecturer hasn't picked a time for his tuts yet, so don't worry ...

yoshi

Were you sitting in the back, mid-left? I got your email, but the picture was kind-of-fuzzy.
Yes, precision spotting ;-)

The MATH clash is aparently because the lecturer hasn't picked a time for his tuts yet, so don't worry ...
Oh good. Hopefully there'll be notices about it.

BTW, how do you setup your @student.unsw.edu.au email address, so that you can use webmail? I currently have it redirecting to a private POP account, but would rather use their webmail. I tried the webmail initially but my mail was bouncing back. Do I need to select the UNSW POP3 server on that email options page?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
BTW, how do you setup your @student.unsw.edu.au email address, so that you can use webmail? I currently have it redirecting to a private POP account, but would rather use their webmail. I tried the webmail initially but my mail was bouncing back. Do I need to select the UNSW POP3 server on that email options page?
I don't know. Do you know if we can redirect it to our Unimail account?

yoshi

I don't know. Do you know if we can redirect it to our Unimail account?
There's a Unimail account? :confused:
I think we're talking about the same thing. What does your Unimail email address look like?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC

There's a Unimail account? :confused:
I think we're talking about the same thing. What does your Unimail email address look like?
unimail is @ unimail.unsw.edu.au. it is based on your student number.

There is also CSE mail, based on your login name for sirius ...

yoshi

unimail is @ unimail.unsw.edu.au. it is based on your student number.
Yep, that's the same thing. Though the email address isn't user@unimail.unsw.edu.au, it's user@student.unsw.edu.au.
http://unimail.unsw.edu.au is the webmail interface. Then again, mabye the email is redirected to the user@student.unsw.edu.au one anyway.

This is from a help page:
All students are given a default email address of their student number @student.unsw.edu.au, when your UniMail is created (eg z1234567@student.unsw.edu.au). To change this default address to something based on your name, follow the steps below.
edit - Well, anyway, the webmail is working for me now, maybe I just tried to use it too early before (a few days after enrolment).

Last edited:

SoFTuaRiaL

guyz guyz dont get worried abt the bdm tutes ........ we have till end of wk 1 to register for them (though the only disadvantage is that we prolly wont get into our 1st preference of class ) .... infact, we will be notified of bdm enrolment during our first lecture on tuesday
we r meant to use the TAS which i believe is avaolable from the comp labs in the commerce buildin, i'm not too sure bout that !

anyone volunteering for being a SESoc rep? :p vote for me !! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)