• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BEc course selection (1 Viewer)

blah88

HSC
Hello, I got into BEc and I'm having some troubles with the course selection.

If I wanted to get a double major in Economics and International Business is picking ACCT1501, ECON1101, ECON1202 and MGMT1001 correct? I chose those courses based on the info from the undergraduate section options pdf file from UNSW Business School website. If I got the number of courses right, which course is a better course for international business? (there were MGMT1001, MGMT1101 and MGMT2102)

Also, what are the potential career paths if one has a major in economics and in international business?

If anyone with these majors have some experience in the field could you tell me how it is?

And is co-major same as double major?

Sorry if these questions are stupid but I really want to make sure that I do everything correct.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Chris.

HSC
blah88 said:
Hello, I got into BEc and I'm having some troubles with the course selection.

If I wanted to get a double major in Economics and International Business is picking ACCT1501, ECON1101, ECON1202 and MGMT1001 correct? I chose those courses based on the info from the undergraduate section options pdf file from UNSW Business School website. If I got the number of courses right, which course is a better course for international business? (there were MGMT1001, MGMT1101 and MGMT2102)

Also, what are the potentional career paths if one has a major in economics and in international business?

If anyone with these majors have some experience in the field could you tell me how it is?

And is co-major same as double major?

Sorry if these questions are stupid but I really want to make sure that I do everything correct.

Thanks!
from what i remember, your first sem should be Accounting 1A, micro, QMA and a elective. I havnt heard many things about the major of international business, not many people seem to do it. you cant do any level 2 subjects yet eg. mgmt2102.

no idea about career paths/opportunities

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Your elective should be either 1001 or 1101. This is the course plan you need to follow for IB: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2008/IBUSA13521.html
Note that 1101 is a required course and 1001 is in list A so take that into consideration when picking electives.

w.r.t. career paths I really have no idea, I picked majors in Econ and IB purely because I enjoyed (or at least not hated) the subjects. *coughaccountingcough*

I found Economics very interesting (and not nearly as easy as I imagined, I thought micro2/macro2 were super hard), while the IB courses were easier but kinda dull. But there might be some bias there so take it with a grain of salt. One thing I will say though is both the econ and IB courses I've taken are all very theoretical in nature, take that how you like.

blah88

HSC
then can i ask which major goes nicely with economics major that is practical and has a clear career path?

Kieruz

HSC
blah88 said:
then can i ask which major goes nicely with economics major that is practical and has a clear career path?
Econ + Econometics --> Quantitative Analyst, atlhough some accounting knowledge would be a plus.

Hey if you're really stuck, transfer to BComm/BEc after 1 year and do Econ + Econometrics + Accounting. Then you'll be ready for anything.

Warning: Most uni kids don't have a clue about career paths, subject selection etc evidenced by the amount of arguing you see on this web site, so do your own independant study. This goes for me too - I'm just answering to the best of my ability but haven't done any specific research into your question because most likely your situation is a unique one. Now Accounting + Finance in BComm, ask away :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)