Becoming a Director (1 Viewer)

Ethan Costello

HSC
Hey Guys,

Just wondering what you think of these subject choices in becoming a director, or something in the film making industry.

1. Entertainment Industry (VET)
2. Drama
3. Std. English
4. Gen. Maths
5. Business Studies
6. TAFE - Film Making and Editing

Just wanting you guys opinion. Thanks

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Try and get into English Advanced if you can. It will give you a much better appreciation for composition, which is critical for good directors. Other than that, it's a pretty decent covering of subjects.

The most important thing is to get practice outside of school. Get a camera and an editing program, and start making projects. Start small, then get bigger. Also, try and expose yourself to as much film as possible. You want to have a complete overview of the last 130ish years of film history.

Ethan Costello

HSC
Try and get into English Advanced if you can. It will give you a much better appreciation for composition, which is critical for good directors. Other than that, it's a pretty decent covering of subjects.

The most important thing is to get practice outside of school. Get a camera and an editing program, and start making projects. Start small, then get bigger. Also, try and expose yourself to as much film as possible. You want to have a complete overview of the last 130ish years of film history.
Yeah, well at the moment I have a job at a Video Production Company. English is not my strongest point, so I wouldn't go very well in Advanced, plus you have to be invited.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yeah, well at the moment I have a job at a Video Production Company. English is not my strongest point, so I wouldn't go very well in Advanced, plus you have to be invited.
Well, if you're stuck in standard, still put the work in. Honestly, a director is one of those jobs that English is actually most relevant to. You don't have to be good at essays (although good structure can help you with things like funding and grant apps), but you definitely need to understand how texts are put together and how meaning is creates. A job in a video production company is a pretty great start though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)