Belonging - essay structure? (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
For the belonging essay, do you need to spend more time talking about the prescribed text than related?

I was gonna do

Intro
Prescribed
Related
Prescribed
Related
Prescribed
Related
Conclusion

But that means I'm talking equal about both which isn't correct right?
So should I add in an extra paragraph about prescribed?

thanks

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Should talk about them equally and the structure you have presented is fine. Realistically, you wouldn't be able to write many more paragraphs in exam conditions so keep that in mind.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
No, talking equally is perfectly fine, you don't have to talk about your prescribed more, I think what that advice means is if you do happen to talk about one more, it should be your prescribed and not your related

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Ideally, you should have a balanced description of your prescribed and related, in many instances, the depth of your analysis of your related text can often serves as the discriminator between those who get high marks from those who get poorer marks.

lunaretta

HSC
Although 50-50 is a good ideal, my teacher who was a HSC marker said that to err on the side of caution, she recommended that in some cases you should do 60-40. You should definitely try and avoid talking about your related more than your prescribed and sometimes it pays to have the perception that you have written more prescribed (i.e. with a last paragraph that is prescribed vs related). However, as long as you have very good analysis either way, the exact ratios shouldn't really matter as long as they are more or less equal.

GabbyS

HSC
Try and keep it somewhat even - it doesn't have to be perfectly 50:50 by any means. Like someone above mentioned, it might be reasonable to ditch that third paragraph due to assessment word limit, time restrictions and your handwriting speed. Two in-depth, well done paragraphs are much better than three vague and brief ones. But every school is different in what they want you to do, so it would be best for you to ask your teacher or whoever marks your assessment tasks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)