Belonging speech on ANYTHING (1 Viewer)

tris123

HSC
we have to write a speech on the concept of belonging and the result of belonging on the individual... we cant relate it to any set text and it has to be original. Has anyone got any good ideas?? i was thinking doing it on migrants or gangs?? i need something a bit deeper though

sid.moe

HSC
hae this be sid...i suggest that you use that play 'the crucible' and theres also a DVD that goes with it called 'the crucible' and its really cool......

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Catch 22 is a good one. Also, look up some articles on the Virginia Tech massacre; a lot are about how the guy didn't belong and the how not belonging drove him to kill.

A lighthearted one: Try Mr. Bean. It worked for me when I did Belonging and Alienation

IWishIWasAModel

HSC
grr yeah im doing the same thing at the moment its soooo hard to just pick an idea and go with it....

debzz

Premium Member
HSC
You can do your speech on "belonging' to a gang and how this sense of belonging alienates you from the rest of society. A really good text you can use for this is 'On the sidewalk bleeding' by Evan Hunter. It is a short story about how a boy is stabbed because he 'belongs' to a gang called The Royals. Towards the end of the story he wants to disconnect himself from this gang and remove the purple jacket (which symbolises his membership to the gang), he wants to be known as ANDY. The text is rich in techniques, imagery, italics, flashback, rhetorical questions etc. You could also use the Bra Boys trailer in connection to this, and talk about gang membership creates a sense of belonging but also alienation.

Just an idea

Undomiel

HSC
I have to do a speech on belonging as well, however i have to use a visual representation to show it.

Some ideas to throw at you:
You could talk about acceptance to be in the gangs or migrants being accepted into the town they have come to live in. Or going to a new school, changing groups because of isolation.
Don't forget that belonging can mean not only mean to belong but not to belong as well, so exclusion, isolation, anything like that can be used as well. Use quotes from famous people, im using a CS lewis quotes in mine. You can pretty much rambol on about acceptance and not belonging, relating to pictures, moives, quotes, books. Anything really.

Hope that helps a tad.

mazZzZa6

HSC
The Talented Mr.Ripley (with Matt Damon) is an EXCELLENT movie to use for belonging, and I mean EXCELLENT...

kailajian

HSC
Im writing a speech due on monday
are there any good techniques for writing a speech / analyzing a movie ughh helppp

milolamb

HSC
Im writing a speech but im troubled to get it down to 3-4mins -.-
Mines 7 mins tops.

You absolutely have to skip boring crap otherwise you go for to long.
With movies, pick a scene if you can where someone feels like they most belong (or don't)
Using the whole movie places random stuff in your speech which you don't need.
I was doing a series and changed to a movie till I decided to go to a poem since most of the movies were really long and it was hard to not go over 4min with it.

You just have to have a good background and relatiopn to "The Simple Gift"
i.e where someone does not belong you can use Billy when he leaves home..

Im not sure if people have to do that but I do so i'll put it out there ^^

-shAwty-oO1-

HSC
hey..

For my speech im thinking of using "The Arrival" as my related text..if anyone has any notes or techniques for this book...plz helpp...

lucymowat

HSC
sid.moe said:
hae this be sid...i suggest that you use that play 'the crucible' and theres also a DVD that goes with it called 'the crucible' and its really cool......
the crucible is a set text

cmiranda5151

HSC
Hello :wave:

Does anybody have a Good Definition for Passive Belonging, and Negative Belonging? :idea:

Im new to this site so if im posting questions in the wrong spots sorry.

Thank You

Last edited:

hannahrowland

HSC
Maybe you should first have a look at the Vicar of Dibley episode (season one, first ep) of the same title. The concept is basically the same.

kfnmpah

HSC
Dont write about something you don't know about. If you or your family aren't immigrants, don't write about it because it will be missing that depth that makes it believable/effective.

Also, don't write about stupid teenage angst and fights in friendship groups, HSC is all about catering to the marker, they really don't give a crap about your friendship groups. They're all old, crones, write about something they would be able to 'connect' to

I wrote about my family christmas lunch, and how much i don't enjoy it. i got 18/20 for it. A healthy dose of cynicism and a little bit of sarcasm never goes astray.

to sum it all up: write about something you know about and have experience with, and make sure the markers can relate (Y)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)