Best job to start off with? (0 exp) (1 Viewer)

sladehk

le random
HSC
What's the best job to start off with when you have 0 work experience? Like with decent pay, friendly working environment <-- dream job =D ? Like a big store like woolies or food, or something else?

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
imo (not the best environment or pay etc) but its better to work at maccas when youre young and all and still in year 9 or whatever, because they are well known for their training. my friend got a job at DJs cos it was between her and someone else. teh other person had experience in a random boutique btu the interviewer said that they know maccas do excellent customer service training and so she got the job.

its why i got my first job there. and honestly, the pay may be craps, but you work there for the experience, not the pay..

plus the one i went to had awesome managers when i started. by the end of it there was only one good manager. thats the main reason why i left, cos of the management. who you work with makes all the difference :uhhuh:

but yeh. definitely my suggestion is work at maccas young and then go get retail jobs or whatever later on (year 12/uni) with better pay.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well right now is around the time when retailers start recruiting for Christmas casuals. Places like Myer, K-Mart, DJs and so on are probably looking for people. I'm not sure when applications open or close, but it's something that can be good as a first job. You basically get to work during your holidays and make a fair bit of money while your at it!

If you're 18+, then you can apply for Christmas casual positions at Australia Post. I'm not sure when they open/close again since they don't seem to have it on their website this year, but I suppose you could call them and ask. They are also always looking for night sorter people if you're willing to work at night. I think you have to be 18 or older from memory because your dealing with other people's mail and then the contract you sign is legally binding or something like that.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends where you want to end up. Some places offer apprenticeships don't they- maybe that would be suitable too?

Alot of my friends in year12/post-HSC went for telemarketing jobs. They avoided the cold calling ones though.

sladehk

le random
HSC
For 18yr yr 12 school leavers, so retail jobs like myers and dj? even if you don't have exp? or should i just do maccas for exp so that the retail dudes would take me?

> so for the posties jobs, you need to ring them up?

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
sladehk said:
> so for the posties jobs, you need to ring them up?
nah mate. just wait a while. they'll call you ;)

spillargroove

HSC
One good thing about working when your still in high school is that once you finish Year 12, you have a general good chance of applying everywhere, particularly retail because of "customer service". In my case, I applied at certain retail stores only to realise that they do need people with retail experience. Which is why a friend of mine who worked at McDonald's whilst in Year 11 and with that, he got a job in retail.

Speciality food stores is a good option, try that...

sladehk

le random
HSC
for the posties job.. they seem to require 3 work-places you;ve worked before though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)