Best Law Schools (1 Viewer)

nainani

HSC
N/A
I think I've decided...but please don't flame me for it!

University of Melbourne Law School seems to be the best option...though I wouldn't for one second claim that it beats you guys, I have heard that USyd is very barrister-minded (not a bad thing at all - just that I want to be a solicitor!), and UNSW doesn't seem to carry the same weight in HK as USyd and UMelb do.

Feel free to give me criticism and comments, so long as they are constructive. And thank you all for the input and opinions you gave me!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
nainani said:
UNSW doesn't seem to carry the same weight in HK as USyd and UMelb do.
...and you don't see USyd holding a HK Law Fair? :rolleyes:

UNSW > USyd when it comes to HK law jobs. i dun think anybody here in Sydney can deny that.

but then again, it's your $18000AUD p.a. - go to the 'capital' uni's... none of my business. :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
nainani said:
University of Melbourne Law School seems to be the best option...though I wouldn't for one second claim that it beats you guys, I have heard that USyd is very barrister-minded (not a bad thing at all - just that I want to be a solicitor!),
With respect, no. That is absolutely not the case. No law school is "barrister-minded", if there can be such a thing. You have to do separate training to become a barrister or to become a solicitor after you graduate. There is no focus on being one or the other at any law school.

joe_rulez37

HSC
LottoX said:
Should I move interstate to go to ANU or should I stay for the 15 minute walk to Macquarie, despite its lower reputation if I don't make it to USyd or UNSW? Or should I just pay $20,000/year?
Lottox, if you make Med and Law, which one will you go for?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
joe_rulez37 said:
Lottox, if you make Med and Law, which one will you go for?
been there, done that.

i chose law. :p

BohemianAndy

HSC
What the? None of your have stated the University of Western Australia as one of the top. UWA is one of the top universities in Australia, and has a very good Law School. Shame on you Eastern elitists!!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
BohemianAndy said:
What the? None of your have stated the University of Western Australia as one of the top. UWA is one of the top universities in Australia, and has a very good Law School. Shame on you Eastern elitists!!
this board has always been NSW-centric anyway :p

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
BohemianAndy said:
Well, possibly, but it is not seen so in NSW.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
agentprovocater said:
Plus, Nelson Mandela chose UTS over all the other uni's to do his phD...surely that says sumthing abt the credibility of UTS?
somebody doesn't understand what an honorary doctorate is... :rolleyes:
agentprovocater said:
As a side note, Hugh Jackman attended UTS also.
yes, but he did a degree in communication, not law.
agentprovocater said:
It's a good uni. When UNSW was getting built, the UNSW students came and perched at UTS...UTS believe it or not is long established.
Both arose from the old NSW Institute of Technology.

btw, i still think UTS is a great uni - just that your 'facts' are misleading.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
agentprovocater said:
Let me say in the defence of UTS that it's an excellent uni. Some(among many) plus pooitns include:

1. A top optional practical legal training course
2. The law degree is very recognised. People in the US know more about UTS(and UNSW)
3. In a recent article I read on SMH it said that graduates out of UTS and UNSW and Macquarie start off with the highest starting salaries.
4. 1/3 of the people in the top law firms are from UTS

UTS rox!
Hi agentprovocater,

UTS is a good uni, but I would suggest that you source your claims. People aren't likely to believe such assertions without good evidence.

phrred

HSC
agentprovocater said:
Good points MoonlightSonata and Frigid,

I'll b back with evidence for these claims :)(plus torts had started that day had to rush)

With my point 3, I suggest u guys take a look at the Good Universities Guide 2007. In there they mention that grads who come out of Umaq, UTS and UNSW start with high salaries etc, although UNSW and USyd get given the most research grants.

As for the Hugh Jackman and Nelson Mandela thing(explain the honory grad thing to me Frigid)...my point was that UTS is a good uni(like u guys sed). It tends to get marginalised at times, which is sad. I would have gone to UNSW for my Law/Int Std degree, but that takes 6 years, plus the course structure didnt suit me, so I chose UTS(5 yrs). I kinda found the electives and PLT(prac legal training) attracitve also. This year, there are heaps of Usyd/UNSW/Umaq ppl at UTS(doing LLM) cos they believe the degree is flexible enough(prolli has to do with flexi timetables).

Apologies if some of what I said sounded misleading or uninformed :)

In the end the course needs to be taken into consideration also.

PS. Last article i read(i cant remember the source name so will get back)....apparently ANU is the BEST uni in Aust....
Honorary doctorate is given to a person for exceptional contribution to society, the person doesnt study for it- its an award

And yes ANU is the best research university in Aust- prob not other categories (it doesnt have many students in comparison to the Gof8 Vic and NSW unis)

Tamazoid

HSC
Generally the uni rankings go 1. ANU, 2. Melbourne, 3. Sydney

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Tamazoid said:
Generally the uni rankings go 1. ANU, 2. Melbourne, 3. Sydney
university (w)ankings are of no particular interest to us. especially when you're talking abt the THES (w)ankings which are heavily based on peer-reviews and research.

at an undergraduate level, i dare suggest the common experience of current undergrads and GoodUniGuide is better than these stupid (w)ankings.

katrea

HSC
It's because at one point Shane Warne was a very good cricket player. And a doctorate honours someone who has made great contributions to the field. The Wiggles have doctorates for their work. Sometimes it's handed out like candy, sometimes it means something.

Nonetheless the Hugh Jackman thing I think is a bit invalid. A lot of the experience as a performer comes from your whole career than just the studies and as well if you get your lucky breaks.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
university (w)ankings are of no particular interest to us. especially when you're talking abt the THES (w)ankings which are heavily based on peer-reviews and research.

at an undergraduate level, i dare suggest the common experience of current undergrads and GoodUniGuide is better than these stupid (w)ankings.
Applying for foreign positions are where the THESS rankings actually mean something. In the UK if you are not from the golden triangle, you dont have that much hope getting a good economics/banking related job. I imagine the same goes for other popular choices like law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)