Best place to buy an LCD TV? (1 Viewer)

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
Im on the lookout for an LCD tv, wanna get one for my room. Anyway, im looking for a 20' screen ( 50 cm ) and willing to pay up to $700. Any suggestions?

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
check out JBHIFI, or harvey norman, stay clear of kmart trust me i work there i know the shitty quality of our tvs.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Led-Zep said:
check out JBHIFI, or harvey norman, stay clear of kmart trust me i work there i know the shitty quality of our tvs.
Oh, to add to that, If its not a brand you don't know, DO NOT BUY IT.

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
mr_brightside said:
Oh, to add to that, If its not a brand you don't know, DO NOT BUY IT.
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4576605b08b437fc273fc0a87f9c06fc/Product/View/G2111

perfect thing im looking for, but brand = palsonic

something like that with similar price range by sony, samsung, panasonic or something and ill be stoked..

EDIT: also the link from mr brightside.. well i honestly know jack all about televisions and computers, but the link seems to be more computer LCD screens? no accusations, just what it appears like to me... maybe .. can LCDs be used both as monitors and TVs? lol i really dont know much about it

EDIT2: also, part of the reason i want the television is to attach my nintendo wii to it when i get one. any other considerations i should take into account given this factor?

Last edited:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
You didn't specify :p
Those monitors are more for use with a computer via VGA input only.

You sound like you want RCA/Component inputs and a tuner.

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
mr_brightside said:
You didn't specify :p
Those monitors are more for use with a computer via VGA input only.

You sound like you want RCA/Component inputs and a tuner.
lol.. guess i didnt, but its in the title of the thread :p

anyway if anyone ever comes across anything like a 20'' good brand LCD tv for approximately $700 please inform me :)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
The Manufacturer. Go online and Order it, it's the cheapest and best way to ensure the best price.

pete_mate

HSC
have you considered using a computer with a tv tuner card as your tv tuner (which would then become a dvd recorder) which is connected to a monitor?

very decent ASUS 20" monitor for $799 or a chimei 22" for like $600

or a high quality 24" for about 1200.

computer monitors ahve much higher resolutions than equivalent lcd tv's. the 22 and 24" should eb able to do hi definition 1080p

for some reason lcd "tv's" are a complete ripoff, that panasonic isnt hi def. it needs a max res of 1920 x 1080 which you would find on a computer monitor of the same size.

avoid sonique and hicon if you want it to last more than a year. make sure you get a digital tv tuner with at least some component cables.

however, once you get a tuner etc. = expensive. why id go with the 1st option

and yeah, jb hifi is good. most of our hifi guys knows their shit. they can list a model number that resembles "H3XCE3423" off the top of their head for each of our more expensive plasmas

Last edited:

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
pete_mate said:
have you considered using a computer with a tv tuner card as your tv tuner (which would then become a dvd recorder) which is connected to a monitor?

very decent ASUS 20" monitor for $799 or a chimei 22" for like $600

or a high quality 24" for about 1200.

computer monitors ahve much higher resolutions than equivalent lcd tv's. the 22 and 24" should eb able to do hi definition 1080p

for some reason lcd "tv's" are a complete ripoff

avoid sonique and hicon if you want it to last more than a year. make sure you get a digital tv tuner with at least some component cables.

however, once you get a tuner etc. = expensive. why id go with the 1st option

and yeah, jb hifi is good. most of our hifi guys knows their shit. they can list a model number that resembles "H3XCE3423" off the top of their head for each of our more expensive plasmas

TV Tuner = cant play wii i think
Also could you tell me what you meant by the bit i bolded?

anyway

http://panasonic.com.au/products/category.cfm?objectID=47

lists the price as RRP: $1,549

whereas the limited stock in dick smith is being sold at $1099

i think ill go for it

Last edited:

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
breaking said:
i have the 81cm version of that in my room i use it for tv and dvds and xbox, its a fantastic tv
Rich man, how much did you buy it for? and where at?

Anyway on the specifications on dse site..

Composite Video Input -AV1⁄2:RCA phone type (2 rear)

i have no idea wat that means, the second part of it .. starting with "-AV1" is for some reason putting me on edge about the first bit. Probably 100% obvious but, that will all be capable with composite cables with wii?

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
$2200 on interest free. about 3 or 4 months ago. that bit looks like jargon but yeah it has 1 set of composite inputs and 2 or 3 component and 2 s video and 2 hdmi, so lots of ports.

JhK89

HSC
id go to one of the warehouses u get the ones with a little scratch where they cut a few $100's off

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
Called dick smith powerhouse, costs $999 ($100 better than i had hoped). Furthermore guy said he thinks its the display one, and he said if thats the case it'd be even cheaper :)

Definately going for it

bizadfar

HSC
I think you should be prepared for troubles or poor quality from warehouse ones. At work we get alot of LCD TV's (mostly 26"-56") and customers complain of the quality. So us repair agents have to go out and replace either the panel, board or psu board. Then they complain its poor quality as well. It just gets replaced with complete new set (which is a pain in the ass to deliver). That one they claimed was poor gets picked up by Samsung (through us) and goes to their warehouse.(esp if its quite an older model)

Of course some customers expect too much from LCD TVs, so the cycle starts again with some customers. So there is a possibility of getting a good deal(ie the TV actually meets specs). Request to have it fully tested onsite by YOURSELF, and see if you are satisfied.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)