best scaling subjects? (1 Viewer)

mioumiou

HSC
For some people, scaling is very important for them to achieve a high ATAR but if you choose a subject that you don't like or you're not good at, even though it scales really well, you still won't get a high ATAR.

HSC
im doing..

Advanced english
extension english 1
Legal studies
Modern history
Ancient history
Economics
Religion (1 unit)

Im going to drop religion at the end of year 11 and either pick up english extension 2 or history extension.

Will my subjects scale well?

mioumiou

HSC
im doing..

Advanced english
extension english 1
Legal studies
Modern history
Ancient history
Economics
Religion (1 unit)

Im going to drop religion at the end of year 11 and either pick up english extension 2 or history extension.

Will my subjects scale well?
Yeah, definitely! If you're doing extension english or picking up extension history. I heard that modern history and economics scales really well too!

itszen

HSC
I still dont get the table of the scaled subjects? Can someone care to explain a bit further? >_<

Travii

HSC
Hey guys..this is random but how do you post a new topic or say a question to ask the board?
I'm so lost...i can only post replies to topics..

Misyndo

HSC
I still dont get the table of the scaled subjects? Can someone care to explain a bit further? >_<
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2009_table_A3.pdf

Explanation of columns. (All numbers given in the table are out of 50)

First Column -> Course -> Self explanatory I hope.

Second Column -> Number -> Number of students enrolled across NSW.

Third Column -> Type of Mark -> The HSC mark is the mark you see on your final report/sheet thing. This is after it has been aligned and what not. However, the important part in determining your ATAR is the number under the HSC part, the "Scaled" number.

Fourth Column -> Mean -> The average across the state for that particular course.
Eg. In Mathematics Extension 2 the HSC average was 41.7.
While the Scaled average was 44.7.

This means that for that course, on average, students were scaled UP by 3 marks.

Eg. In Aboriginal Studies the HSC average was 37.4
While the Scaled average was 15.4.

This suggests that the course 'Aboriginal Studies' scales VERY poorly.

Subjects that are said to scale "good/well" are those with a scaled mean of 30+
"Average" is around 25 and so on.

Fifth Column -> SD -> Standard deviation -> How much the marks varied from one end to the other end.

Sixth Column -> Max Mark -> Self explanatory. Tells us if the subject is capped or not.

Rest -> P99 P90 P75 P50 P25 -> What percentile those marks lied in.
Eg. If you beat 99% of the state for Maths Extension 2 that places you in the P99 range which means you receive a mark of 48.5 but a scaled mark of 49.4

If you beat 25% of the state you are in the P25 range and you would've received a HSC mark of 39.0 but a scaled mark of 43.3

itszen

HSC
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2009_table_A3.pdf

Explanation of columns. (All numbers given in the table are out of 50)

First Column -> Course -> Self explanatory I hope.

Second Column -> Number -> Number of students enrolled across NSW.

Third Column -> Type of Mark -> The HSC mark is the mark you see on your final report/sheet thing. This is after it has been aligned and what not. However, the important part in determining your ATAR is the number under the HSC part, the "Scaled" number.

Fourth Column -> Mean -> The average across the state for that particular course.
Eg. In Mathematics Extension 2 the HSC average was 41.7.
While the Scaled average was 44.7.

This means that for that course, on average, students were scaled UP by 3 marks.

Eg. In Aboriginal Studies the HSC average was 37.4
While the Scaled average was 15.4.

This suggests that the course 'Aboriginal Studies' scales VERY poorly.

Subjects that are said to scale "good/well" are those with a scaled mean of 30+
"Average" is around 25 and so on.

Fifth Column -> SD -> Standard deviation -> How much the marks varied from one end to the other end.

Sixth Column -> Max Mark -> Self explanatory. Tells us if the subject is capped or not.

Rest -> P99 P90 P75 P50 P25 -> What percentile those marks lied in.
Eg. If you beat 99% of the state for Maths Extension 2 that places you in the P99 range which means you receive a mark of 48.5 but a scaled mark of 49.4

If you beat 25% of the state you are in the P25 range and you would've received a HSC mark of 39.0 but a scaled mark of 43.3
Thanks mate. Now i get that table. =]

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yep, it scales very well.

They scale nearly the same. Just that the alignment is different.
No, english standard and advanced scale exactly the same.

And yes, there is a thing called scaling. It is done by UAC whereas BOS of responible for the aligning/moderation.

Scaling is done on raw HSC exam marks and is used to determine ATARs.

Aligning/moderation is done to give students an indication of their performance in the subects they do.

They are seperate processes and in no way affect each other ok?

Schoey93

HSC
I know quite a few people who do latin. And yes, it is an epically scaling subject.
On another note, hope someone comes along soon and gets rid of all the trolling horny/pervertedly religious people who are ruining our perfectly good threads with their nonsense.
What or who are you referring to in this statement?

rajputsingh

HSC
okay, so i'm not sure about the rest of you guys, but i'd reeaalllyy like to know what subjects scale well.
so if anyone knows or has an idea of where you can find out (cause i swear i've scanned the BOS website liek 50 times)
it would be greatly appreciated :)
xx

The subjects that scale the best are the subjects you do good in.

HSC
In my personal opinion, most of the sciences, especially Physics. Economcis does pretty well too. And definitely 4U Maths and English.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)