Best Textbook for Economics Year 11 and 12 (1 Viewer)

benandjerrys

HSC
N/A
Any recommendations for Economics textbooks Year 11 and Year 12?

keiran_osullivan

HSC
N/A
From what I found, you really need to have a range of Economic textbooks for a variety of purposes.

For example, I used the Creative Economics textbook by Ian Moore prior to classroom learning and immediately afterwards. The book is fantastic for general, surface-level understanding and I would not have performed very well without it.

However, it is not a great textbook for taking notes or deeper, more intricate and nuanced understanding. For that Tim Riley's textbook is brilliant. Dovetailed with my class notes, his textbook was essential in building my core notes and understanding the Economics course more generally.

I also used Tim Riley's and Ian Moore's workbooks and Ian Moore's Creative Economics Study Guide. I found them to be particularly helpful as the often contain really useful tips which teachers do not have enough time to cover, as well as, give you access to a range of questions often not found in past HSC or Trial papers.

By the way, I purchased the Excel book but I would advise against it. Even for general understanding, it is not good enough and some of the things mentioned (like formulae) are simply incorrect.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Dixon for short answer/multichoicr
Riley for essays

User name

HSC
N/A
I reckon the best one's Dixon's, but the Riley textbook can also be useful in some sections. I mainly used Dixon's though

swagmeister

HSC
I honestly didn't like Dixon's, way too much fluff.

The creative textbook worked well, and it was nice to complement that with a bit of Riley here and there. And I also found some free uni textbooks online that were helpful :)

benandjerrys

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys, my school provides Tim Riley so I'll use that buy the Dixon as well

marxman

HSC
I've got all four of the main ones; Creative economics by Moore, Australia in the Global Economy by Dixon, Year 12 economics by Riley and Updated Economics 2016 by John Bulmer.

All are great for their own reasons, but essentially I've gotten most of my elementary understanding from Moore and Dixon, then moved into the more in-depth analysis from Bulmer and Riley.

Bulmer sort of goes under the radar as a text, but it is truly fantastic for updated statistics, considering the entire edition comes out in 3 parts throughout the course of next year, with the intention of having the 2016 budget covered by the time we hit Topic 4.

Best advice is to just go through them all because they all have strengths and weaknesses in certain topics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)