• Excel

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters

withyou

HSC
N/A
So which is the best Biology Textbook? - follows the syllabus and is detailed enough for the Prelim and HSC?

Hope i didn't leave out any textbook on the poll

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
K.I.S.S = keep it simple science, its quite good, we use that, though we have the jacaranda it isnt very good

TurkStyle

HSC
this is a good poll cause i dont know which one to buy for next year

and how many txtbooks is enough???

TurkStyle

HSC
maybe it isnt a good poll since no one is voting or commenting

lolz

SiN3m

HSC
the Biology Options books are great for the options...we use it for Genetics

u may not buy it coz it covers only one topic, but it's great to use as it goes through each dotpoint

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
TurkStyle said:
this is a good poll cause i dont know which one to buy for next year

and how many txtbooks is enough???
you school you provide you with enough information you can suppliment with the use books like excel and the internet

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I'll just wait until they supplement us with our own textbooks first. I'll probably get the macquarie revision guide and HSC biology dotpoint textbook.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
I think KISS is pretty good, macquarie isn't bad either... but I can't vote for 2 so I chose others.

12o9

HSC
Ah, so from what I've read, I'm guessing Heinemann and K.I.S.S will be sufficient for year 12 bio?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
for my core text - heinemann
for my supplemet - dot-point
for extra in-depth coverage - jacaranda
for ultra uselss info - oxford
for light reading - spotlight
for vairety of questions - macqurie and excel - not for studying AT ALL.

And for people who are curious whether I have all of those or not, I can tell you that I have all of those situated on my desk. (except macquarie)

nottellingu

HSC
Ive stumbled across the new excel book and its pretty good. For those doing the hsc in 09 id try to get my hands on a copy.
Dot point is also very useful and most schools seem to be using heinemann which is not bad. These three books will be all u need for hsc biology.
Jacaranda is good if u want to learn 'real' biology but it isnt quiet relevant to the syllabus at all times for this reason i think its quiet weak. Macquaire is not too good either

SO go out there and buy Excel and Dot point :)

12o9

HSC
nottellingu said:
Ive stumbled across the new excel book and its pretty good. For those doing the hsc in 09 id try to get my hands on a copy.
Dot point is also very useful and most schools seem to be using heinemann which is not bad. These three books will be all u need for hsc biology.
Jacaranda is good if u want to learn 'real' biology but it isnt quiet relevant to the syllabus at all times for this reason i think its quiet weak. Macquaire is not too good either

SO go out there and buy Excel and Dot point :)
haha. Yeah i was considering getting the new one, but then i decided not to due to excel's poor reputation :(. I'll probably end up purchasing dotpoint from my school for $20-25

lyounamu said:
Oh dude. Someones prepared. *worried :(*

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Kiss is basically the only text book you want, my teacher provided us with notes from a variety of scientific journels and the internet, basically to get the best information dont just stick to the texts books, but your teacher should provide sufficent info

studynz2008

HSC
Oxford gives me headaches. I prefer KISS. This is very practical specially when the teachers give their list of resources.

withyou

HSC
N/A
so would anyone reccomend to buy the new excel bio? i already have macquarie, but wondering if that was sufficient cause theyre both pretty similar...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
withyou said:
so would anyone reccomend to buy the new excel bio? i already have macquarie, but wondering if that was sufficient cause theyre both pretty similar...
The poll suggests that Macquarie is pretty good, is it true?

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
lyounamu said:
The poll suggests that Macquarie is pretty good, is it true?
Im pretty sure ive got it and its decent but as ive said before kiss is one of the best things you can get. Kiss plus the notes from the teacher and the occassional supplement from a study book was all that i needed to get a great rank

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
axlenatore said:
Im pretty sure ive got it and its decent but as ive said before kiss is one of the best things you can get. Kiss plus the notes from the teacher and the occassional supplement from a study book was all that i needed to get a great rank
Where do you get KISS from?

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
lyounamu said:

And for people who are curious whether I have all of those or not, I can tell you that I have all of those situated on my desk. (except macquarie)
Dot point and spotlight are good, some of the notes we get given are from them, we never specificalyl use a text book though we are given kiss booklets and have the jacaranda or heinemann but its really poor in part, my teacher recommends only using it for extra information not your core learning as its pretty shallow in this information

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
lyounamu said:
Where do you get KISS from?
Kiss = Keep it simple science
http://www.keepitsimplescience.com.au/

You could also talk to your teachers about them getting into the school as in issued text book which my school has done. I also noticed you do chemistry and its a worthwild investment for that, Kiss is my favourite chemistry textbook as it covers every dot point very well and has many useful questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)