best texts to do for worlds of upheaval? They cant be on the nesa booklist ;) (1 Viewer)

Govie06

HSC
My prescribed texts are:
• Gaskell, Elizabeth, North and South, Penguin Classics, 2003,
• Shelley, Mary, Frankenstein, Penguin, 2003,
• Thien, Madeleine, Do Not Say We Have Nothing, Granta, 2016, Poetry
• Heaney, Seamus, Opened Ground: Poems 1966–1996, Faber and Faber, 1998, ‘Digging’, ‘The Strand at Lough Beg’, ‘Casualty’, ‘Funeral Rites’, from ‘Whatever You Say Say Nothing’, ‘Triptych’ Drama
• Beckett, Samuel, Waiting for Godot, Faber and Faber, 2006, Film
• Lang, Fritz, Metropolis, Madman, 1927/2010

Rattlehead15

HSC
It depends which of those texts you are doing. For example, if you do Frankenstein you could look for a text with similar themes like gothic/romantic/science fiction etc. Just make sure its a well known and quality text and compare it to the syllabus to see links you could make.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
My prescribed texts are:
• Gaskell, Elizabeth, North and South, Penguin Classics, 2003,
• Shelley, Mary, Frankenstein, Penguin, 2003,
• Thien, Madeleine, Do Not Say We Have Nothing, Granta, 2016, Poetry
• Heaney, Seamus, Opened Ground: Poems 1966–1996, Faber and Faber, 1998, ‘Digging’, ‘The Strand at Lough Beg’, ‘Casualty’, ‘Funeral Rites’, from ‘Whatever You Say Say Nothing’, ‘Triptych’ Drama
• Beckett, Samuel, Waiting for Godot, Faber and Faber, 2006, Film
• Lang, Fritz, Metropolis, Madman, 1927/2010
im an English teacher and I’ve taught extension . See your pm

chokingonyouralibi

HSC
I also studied Worlds of Upheaval for my elective! We did 'Frankenstein', 'Waiting for Godot', and 'Do Not Say We Have Nothing'.

For my related texts, I ultimately ended up choosing Oscar Wilde's novel 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' (1890), and Danny Boyle's film 'Trainspotting' (1996). I did consider T.S Eliot's 'The Waste Land', but with the sort of analysis I was doing, it was a liiiiiittle too similar to Waiting For Godot with the post-war existentialism stuff.

I found that Trainspotting + Waiting for Godot's lack of hope, crushing meaninglessness and general stagnation formed a great contrast against the continuation of hope despite tyranny in Do Not Say We Have Nothing, and Dorian Gray obviously has great connections to Frankenstein with gothicism/morality!!

All of this might be totally useless depending on the texts you're doing but I just wanted to share :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)