Best tutoring college for trial preparation?? (1 Viewer)

Illest

HSC
Hi! I want to join a tutoring college that's doing trial prep/revision

Which tutoring place would you recommend? Any comments is appreciated!

So far, I'm thinking of joining Matrix or Pre-Uni.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

Avoid PreUni like the plague.

I didn't go to colleges myself (I had a private tutor) for sciences, but I've heard some good things about Talent 100.

Illest

HSC
Avoid PreUni like the plague.

I didn't go to colleges myself (I had a private tutor) for sciences, but I've heard some good things about Talent 100.
Yeah I went to Pre-Uni for a term. I hated every lesson... but there was no refunds so yeah... But they're offering HSC-style exams. I was planning to go just for that or would that be a waste of money? It's a 2 hour exam + 1 hour revision.

Oh and Dux College and Talent 100 are offering similar trial prep. However Talent 100 is more expensive. Which one would you recommend?

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I went to Pre-Uni for a term. I hated every lesson... but there was no refunds so yeah... But they're offering HSC-style exams. I was planning to go just for that or would that be a waste of money? It's a 2 hour exam + 1 hour revision.

Oh and Dux College and Talent 100 are offering similar trial prep. However Talent 100 is more expensive. Which one would you recommend?
I'm unable to recommend either one. I have friends working at both places and I'm reasonably sure you'll get a good experience out of both.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

I recommend AGAINST Pre Uni for Extension 1, although Extension 2 is fine.

Trust me, their 'HSC-Style Exams' are most certainly NOT HSC Style and every single paper is of very poor quality.

If you do MX2, do their HSC-Style Exams but not for 2U or MX1 Maths.

Illest

HSC
I recommend AGAINST Pre Uni for Extension 1, although Extension 2 is fine.

Trust me, their 'HSC-Style Exams' are most certainly NOT HSC Style and every single paper is of very poor quality.

If you do MX2, do their HSC-Style Exams but not for 2U or MX1 Maths.
Haha, thanks for your advice. :)

What really put me off going there was that you weren't allowed to keep the exams you did or take any of their resources home, which is kind of weird :\

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Haha, thanks for your advice. :)

What really put me off going there was that you weren't allowed to keep the exams you did or take any of their resources home, which is kind of weird :\
The reason is because they like to recycle questions because the majority of the tutors there are inevitably unoriginal and just copy textbook questions.

But you ARE allowed to take Tutorial and Homework and Theory booklets home. Just not the exams.

starshine02

HSC
I've been to Preuni for senior school and imo its quite bad. You could try going there for a short holiday trial course which costs around $300 I think? But I don't think its worth the money and frankly they aren't too good at explaining stuff afterwards. I've heard quite good reviews for Matrix but the downside for them is that they are extremely costly. But then again most tutoring places are.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've been to Preuni for senior school and imo its quite bad. You could try going there for a short holiday trial course which costs around $300 I think? But I don't think its worth the money and frankly they aren't too good at explaining stuff afterwards. I've heard quite good reviews for Matrix but the downside for them is that they are extremely costly. But then again most tutoring places are.
What subjects did you do at Pre Uni btw? Did you attend any tutorials or just the teachers?

starshine02

HSC
I've done Maths (ext 1), Eng adv and biology. I attended both tutorials and the teacher classes. For their normal classes I felt like they were just a bit too big and whilst the teacher is really nice, he seems to explain things in a simple way that isn't good for the more complicated stuff you may do at school. English was alright but the course wasn't right for me because it wasn't the topic i was doing at school so it was no help at all. Biology was just way too simple - i think they just copied sheets straight out of dot point books =___=

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've done Maths (ext 1), Eng adv and biology. I attended both tutorials and the teacher classes. For their normal classes I felt like they were just a bit too big and whilst the teacher is really nice, he seems to explain things in a simple way that isn't good for the more complicated stuff you may do at school. English was alright but the course wasn't right for me because it wasn't the topic i was doing at school so it was no help at all. Biology was just way too simple - i think they just copied sheets straight out of dot point books =___=
How did you find the tutorials for MX1? They also write the material for the Trial tests, and unfortunately not of the best quality. Lots of recycled questions and easy Q7's (for MX1) because as you can imagine the difficulty of the paper would be limited by the abilities of the tutor writing it.

Also, do you still go there?

And yes I know about them copying Dot Point. Not very good I agree.

starshine02

HSC
I'm going to quit at the end of this term so yes I still go there. Recently the tutorials have begun to have more interesting content in them eg - weirder questions I've seriously never seen before which do provide a bit of interest but seriously doubting I'll ever get them in an exam. You do end up doing more work in the tutorials though so if you go there I'd recommend you actually attend those rather than just the classes.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm going to quit at the end of this term so yes I still go there. Recently the tutorials have begun to have more interesting content in them eg - weirder questions I've seriously never seen before which do provide a bit of interest but seriously doubting I'll ever get them in an exam. You do end up doing more work in the tutorials though so if you go there I'd recommend you actually attend those rather than just the classes.
Glad you like those questions :)

I understand what you mean about learning more during tutorials than actual classes. The Year 11 tutors (ones you have) have told me much about that.

Illest

HSC
I found the tutorials more useful than the actual class as well. My teacher was Brian Chadwick, the guy who wrote surfing notes... he was really bad.

Anjuu

HSC
Dux college are very good and particularly excel in tutoring of Science subjects i would strongly recommendatory them, if you are doing chemistry, Ask about Mohan - he is extremely good

gloria123

HSC
Alpha Omega has an amazing chemistry tutor for year 12 if thats what you are looking for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)