Better to answer essay question or syllabus?? (1 Viewer)

McBean88

HSC
ie. if a question doesn't mention 'shaping and reshaping', should we mention in essay?? cause shaping and reshaping is mentioned in the syllabus...(mod A)

eg. “It is how individuals react to the world around them that reveals the most interesting connections between texts”
Evaluate this opinion in relation to the connections you have made between P&P and LTA.

or

"despite their 200 years difference in publication dates, P&P and LTA are suprisingly similar in values and styles".
Discuss giving textual evidence to support your personal response. Make particular reference to context

see u definitely could mention shaping and reshaping in these but i was wondering if it was necessary cause i don't think i can answer the question and the syllabus requirements in 40mins...

:cook:<<(kewl smilie ^^)

boxhunter91

HSC
I practiced my essay question for comparative today. Really happy 1050 words in half an hour :)
Umm your essay should tie in with the syllabus requirements. Your just manipulating your essay to suit the question.
Sorry if that didn't help. Thats how i approach english.

McBean88

HSC
yea...but what if the essay question doesn't match the syllabus?? (could dat happen? =P)
cause the essay questions i just gave don't really let u talk about much in the syllabus and esp. the one about "individuals reacting to the world" would need alot of manipulating so i don't think id have time to answer other parts of the syllabus...
(or maybe its cause my teacher based these questions on the older syllabus...)

:cook:

moshi.bum

HSC
Well, the question we get for the HSC will definitely be based on the syllabus. They cannot examine you on something outside the syllabus, so the question will definitely relate to the syllabus in some way, shape or form. Hence you should always answer the question. It is possible to incorporate an argument on 'shaping and reshaping' into your thesis in answering the question, and it is advisable because it enriches your argument.

HSC
I would argue AGAINST pre-preparing essays, but as moshi.bum rightly said, it could strengthen an essay to include an argument based on it. That said, just answer the question. The syllabus asks you to be prepared for that (and you should) but if the question doesn't ask for it, you don't have to include it (you can still get full marks without it unless it was implied that you should have included it, and if you go on too long about something that's too unrelated to the question you'll actually lose marks in that you don't have enough time to cover the main content of the essay).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)