Beware: PwC (1 Viewer)

obama33557799

HSC
grad09 said:
my friend is a summer vaccie at EY and was told that her service line (audit)was only going to offer like 3 people a grad position (out of 20). she's spewing that they never mentioned anything about a reduction in grad offers during the recruitment process and basically fooled them all into thinking that the firm was doing well. now EY are looking for work that normally the mid-tier firms would do. many of the staff are leaving the firm in search of a more secure position at other firms (my uncle being one). my uncle has also confirmed that EY is significantly cutting their grad recruitment and taking on basically no grads from the summer vacationer intake, such has been the affect of the economic downturn on the firm.

a couple of my friends doing vacationer work at deloitte on the other hand have already received grad offers, and have told me that all but one of the 4 weeks vaccies in audit have received an offer. they were told that about 75% of vaccies will receive an offer. don't think this applies to audit given the number of offers so far.
Which EY location are you from out of curiosity??? Melb?? Syd??

DexJnr

HSC
N/A
grad09 said:
my friend is a summer vaccie at EY and was told that her service line (audit)was only going to offer like 3 people a grad position (out of 20). she's spewing that they never mentioned anything about a reduction in grad offers during the recruitment process and basically fooled them all into thinking that the firm was doing well. now EY are looking for work that normally the mid-tier firms would do. many of the staff are leaving the firm in search of a more secure position at other firms (my uncle being one). my uncle has also confirmed that EY is significantly cutting their grad recruitment and taking on basically no grads from the summer vacationer intake, such has been the affect of the economic downturn on the firm.

a couple of my friends doing vacationer work at deloitte on the other hand have already received grad offers, and have told me that all but one of the 4 weeks vaccies in audit have received an offer. they were told that about 75% of vaccies will receive an offer. don't think this applies to audit given the number of offers so far.

I'm not sure that is correct because I'm an EY vaccie and when I asked about the intake for 2010, they told me that currently there are no plans to reduce the grad intake? It follows that the grad intake from the vaccies should not be altered either?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
grad09 said:

Yeah dunno about that, its probably specific to that service line (there are several within "audit"), we have about 6 vaccies in my division who will all more than likely receive offers.

n00dl3~danc3r

HSC
I havent heard anything about cutting grads, but my gf took an offer with PWC and just had her start date moved from Feb til July.

I work at anotha big 4 and they've been telling us "all our grads will be starting in feb". But my guess is when times are tough, contracts are broken.

banco55

HSC
obama33557799 said:
Am currently doing vacc work at a mid-tier Accounting firm over the summer. Would love to get a grad position out of it, since the competition for graduate positions will be fierce come March.

A mate just emailed this story over to me about applying for graduate jobs back in the early 1990's recession:

Unleashed: Recession Revenge

Unleashed: Recession revenge
Unfortunately they've done some studies that indicate that if you graduate at a bad time it can affect your liftetime earnings quite significantly.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
The article in the Australian today seems to support this trend for accounting

"The Olivier Job Index reveals job advertisements for university graduates in the banking and financial services sector have dropped a staggering 73 per cent in the past year.
For accounting graduates, the job pool has shrunk by 64 per cent, while the number of advertised legal jobs is down 53 per cent. "
This article is at:

Graduates' career choices cut by half | The Australian

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Unfortunately they've done some studies that indicate that if you graduate at a bad time it can affect your liftetime earnings quite significantly.
Well, thank god my parents decided that 1984 rather 1987 was a good year to have a child

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)