Bias and 'our' ABC (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Thread two of three -

Mark Scott: Getting serious about any bias

It is a challenge to ourselves and our critics to think afresh about how we deliver balance, diversity, impartiality. That is why the revised ABC editorial policies, released to staff yesterday, are important for the future of the ABC. It is only reasonable that, as the public broadcaster, the ABC sets high standards for itself: higher standards than anyone else in the Australian media.
New ABC boss vows no more bias

ABC introduces new editorial guidelines

Censorship fear on new ABC rules (This report isn't entirely accurate - as the AM report states, "Satire and comedy programs are exempt.")

We all know that it has long been claimed that 'our' ABC is biased, but is that actually the case? Are those groups claiming bias representative of a larger and legitimate group or are they themselves a part of the supposed partisan problem? What about the new editorial guidelines? Are they suitable, or are they excessive when it comes to both TV and radio?

So, what do you all think? That's all, mind - the conservatives on this forum are now far more vocal than ever, but they aren't alone and it would be great to see everyone, no matter their political, social or cultural inclination, have their say. It is 'our' ABC, after all.

---

Regarding the Age article, it would be best to point out that though shows such as the Chaser will be exempt, the Glass House, given its panel/chat format, is a different matter altogether.

---

Edit: Crickey - It will take more than a policy to silence the ABC's critics

Last edited:

banco55

HSC
The ABC is pretty biased. For example they do an inordinate number of stories on refugees/gay rights which iare topics dear to the heart of the left. Compare how much coverage those stories get on commercial news to how much coverage they get on the ABC. Just recently they carried reports at the top of the news about supposed atrocities by australian troops in afghanistan (their only source for this allegation was the taliban). But if you ever watch SBS you'll know they are incredibly left wing I think the government doesn't give a shit though because noone watches SBS.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Malfoy said:
The ABC is ridiculously biased... 'freedom fighters', anyone? I'll think of something more coherent to back myself up later.
All the media groups are bias in their own way.

Channel 7, 9 and 10 essentially don't report the news. And if they do it's generally pretty damn weak.

It's really only the ABC and SBS that actually report some news on TV - however I'm told Sky is quite good.

The ABC, compared to other TV stations, has the best mixed of 'news'. Their Sunday lineup of current affairs/business and sport shows beat the pants off the commercial stations.

As for SBS world news - its a world news service so it is going to report on Iraq every day.

I've also never heard the ABC use 'freedom fighters' on the 7pm news or on the 730 report. I don't think they would get away with that.

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

I find the ABC is only good for one thing. The Glass Gouse and those documentaries on Rome and Britain and such.

If they're serious about getting rid of bias on the channel, the only thing they're going to be allowed to show is the 'channel closed' thing with the coloured blocks.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
banco55 said:
But if you ever watch SBS you'll know they are incredibly left wing I think the government doesn't give a shit though because noone watches SBS.
I'd be surprised if people that matter still watch commercial channels. For me, SBS and the ABC are the only two free to air channels. SBS for films and football, ABC for period dramas and british comedies.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
_dhj_ said:
I'd be surprised if people that matter still watch commercial channels. For me, SBS and the ABC are the only two free to air channels. SBS for films and football, ABC for period dramas and british comedies.
nearly all of the channel are biased in australia. i mean lolz u just to need to the sports sections to realise if australia lost any match in any sport its not even mentioned lol. where as if they win its there. they dont seem to acknowledge defeat.

SBS rocks - upfront no Bullshit world NEWS. unlike fuck ch10 =paris hiltion got slpped or some crap.

I feel ABC - is better for specific Australians more detailed look at whats happening in australia and then little about the worldl. They have local news that all the other channels put together dont have.

SBS - is more focused on world news - little on the local but focused on international.

all the commerical channels news are a waste.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
I think if ABC wishes to eliminate bias, they should not make new rules but recruit some conservative journalists/presenters. Forcing all programs to take a neutral stance is ridiculous, opinion makes for interesting television. Sure, they should have objective news coverage, but targeting other program formats is excessive.
There certainly isn't a lack of neutrality in the Australian media.
This situation shouldn't be made worse.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
The commercial networks are incredibly biased toward the Government in all reporting, largely because Murdoch is in control of the entire country, including choosing the leader of both Liberal and Labor.

(I read it in the "your say" section of The Age, it must be true.)

banco55

HSC
dieburndie said:
I think if ABC wishes to eliminate bias, they should not make new rules but recruit some conservative journalists/presenters. Forcing all programs to take a neutral stance is ridiculous, opinion makes for interesting television. Sure, they should have objective news coverage, but targeting other program formats is excessive.
There certainly isn't a lack of neutrality in the Australian media.
This situation shouldn't be made worse.
It's different when you're talking about publically funded channels etc. as in the case of the abc. I can see why a lot of conservative people would think their tax dollars were misspent if it has a strong left leaning slant. The SMH for example is left leaning while the australian leans to the right but taxpayers don't pay for that so it's fine.

They do have a reputation for recruiting 90% arts students and anyone who knows arts students will know there's no shortage of left wing idelogues among arts students.

Stott Despoja

HSC
N/A
banco55 said:
They do have a reputation for recruiting 90% arts students and anyone who knows arts students will know there's no shortage of left wing idelogues among arts students.
Speaking from experience, are we?

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
banco55 said:
It's different when you're talking about publically funded channels etc. as in the case of the abc. I can see why a lot of conservative people would think their tax dollars were misspent if it has a strong left leaning slant. The SMH for example is left leaning while the australian leans to the right but taxpayers don't pay for that so it's fine.

I didn't say the ABC should be biased.
I said it should have a balance in opinion. That way, everyone wins.

By the way, is it arts students you are talking about in that last sentence? I didn't quite catch that.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
If the libs were as enthusiastic about public broadcasting funding as labor, the ABC would be towing the libs line tommorow believe me, if you go for the throat of the beast, it will fight back.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Mark Scott's a political appointment in my books. /random vulgarity/ he can suck my balls.
The bias of TT and ACA would be laughable if it wasnt so sad; the punters swallow it.

The destruction of the ABC, and possibly Australia Post, will seal Howard's eeeevil legacy I reckon.

Ishamael

Irate (o_0) Pirate
HSC
dieburndie said:
I think if ABC wishes to eliminate bias, they should not make new rules but recruit some conservative journalists/presenters.
That's exactly what would destroy impartiality. This may sound a bit partisan, but if you hear cries of impartiality for media from the right, they are usually complaining about actual investigative reporters cutting through their rabblerousing.

Before anyone mentions 'Freedom fighters' as misleading left-wing terminology, please note that the 'Mujhadeen' were proclaimed as "freedom fighters" and they were the anti-soviet equivalent of the Taliban insurgency. Now that is right-wing bias.

banco55 said:
The ABC is pretty biased. For example they do an inordinate number of stories on refugees/gay rights which iare topics dear to the heart of the left. Compare how much coverage those stories get on commercial news to how much coverage they get on the ABC.
Perhaps these topics are more profound on our only fair and balanced newscast because they are neglected by commercial media networks.

bshoc said:
If the libs were as enthusiastic about public broadcasting funding as labor, the ABC would be towing the libs line tommorow believe me, if you go for the throat of the beast, it will fight back.
The libs shouldn't complain about the ribbing they get on the ABC, when they've been making the decisions for Australia for the last decade. The moment they pass the torch, they'll get their dignity back.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Iron said:
Mark Scott's a political appointment in my books. /random vulgarity/ he can suck my balls.
The bias of TT and ACA would be laughable if it wasnt so sad; the punters swallow it.

The destruction of the ABC, and possibly Australia Post, will seal Howard's eeeevil legacy I reckon.
TT and ACA aren't really biased as such, as in favouring one political party or another, because they don't report news or other-type political occurings. I don't think people watch them for that either, I mean even your average "redneck" can figure out the whole point of the shows is to harass local governments and keep us updated on the health of celebrities.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
All one has to do is observe the key presenters..

Maxine McKew, Kerry O'Brien, Tony Jones, Quentin Dempster..

It's really self explanatory really..

And well, media watch, is a law unto itself. They've officially granted themselves the authority to be the observer of media accuracy and the like, yet for some reason there is no check or balance on their stories..

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
frog12986 said:
All one has to do is observe the key presenters..

Maxine McKew, Kerry O'Brien, Tony Jones, Quentin Dempster..

It's really self explanatory really..
Really? I just think they ask the current government hard questions. Asking hard questions to the sitting government or being critical of the sitting government (which coincidentally has been the Liberal government for 10 or so years) doesn't mean you are hopelessly bias. Perhaps it might seem so (look at the difference in hard questioning between the 730 report and ACA). As for Mr Dempster I really don't think he is bias. State line hardly leaves the ALP alone. Most of the time it points out how badly the state ALP is going for service delivery.

I don't think it's bias for pointed out that the NSW Liberals are taking a big swing to the right wing and becoming like the ALP - organised factions and all.

And well, media watch, is a law unto itself. They've officially granted themselves the authority to be the observer of media accuracy and the like, yet for some reason there is no check or balance on their stories..
The selectively pick out media organisations and they are usually right when they do pick out such organisations for bad reporting or pure plagiarism.

Did anyone see the Glasshouse last night when they were kidding around about the new guidelines? Every ABC program will have to have an 'opinion' at the start if it contains opinions! Ha I'd like to see the commercial channels take that up.

Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
it's easy to confuse criticism/analysis for 'partisanship' when the insane right completely dominate and have done so for freaking ages now

patbox64

HSC
It seems a bit contradictory to call the ABC 'biased'. As stated before, all channels have their own opinions and bias. I would consider ABC slightly left, with the other channels being slightly right wing.

Therefore, can we really call ABC biased without calling the other channels in on their own bias?

I would also add that ABC gives the highest quality news and current affairs shows. Real news that isnt tainted by pointless news stories on celebreties, or cute stories that finish the news to construct a false positive feeling.

patbox64

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
TT and ACA aren't really biased as such, as in favouring one political party or another, because they don't report news or other-type political occurings. I don't think people watch them for that either, I mean even your average "redneck" can figure out the whole point of the shows is to harass local governments and keep us updated on the health of celebrities.
Well, even this can be seen as bias. Not giving certain issues coverage. Often, the public is bombarded with as you say updates on thr "health of celebrities", which take prevelance to more important events. This in turn breeds ignorance and assumption, which to quote Lock Stock is the "brother of all f*&$k ups".

Its not like ABC is extremely left wing though - we dont see claims of neo-nazism in the Liberal party or anything rudiculous like that, which can be found on the internet quite easily. And as someone said, ALP cops just as much crap. If you have watched the Chaser or Glasshouse you will know this. Hell, Chaser even revealed Bob Brown's ignorance about bikes.

Another question could arise about the freedom of speech. We've seen reports lately about diversity of opinion in the media. Why has the opinion of ABC been targeted? Why can't other channels offer coverage of gay rights or other human rights issues? Don't they need to re-align their coverage to a less biased level?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)