Big 4 Accounting Firms Internships 2008 (1 Viewer)

dram

i do things
HSC
haha Huy, we have perfectly mirrored preferences. very interesting!

spontaneous

HSC
hmmm

Prior:

1. pwc
2. kpmg
3. ey
4. deloitte

After:

1. pwc
2. ey
3. deloitte
4. kpmg

Huy

HSC
N/A
What happened with KPMG there, spontaneous? :)

billbro

HSC
N/A
By the way, for the guys who went to the PwC cocktail party last night, was that for all divisions?

I suppose it probably was, so I'll be expecting a rejection soon. Just not overly stoked over the fact that the recruiter called up last Friday to tell me I went really well and I'd find out the following Friday (so after the party).

---

Before:

1. PwC
2. KPMG
3. EY
4. Deloitte

After:

1. KPMG
2. EY
3. PwC
4. Deloitte

However, I got rejected by EY and Deloitte before the actual assessment stage - so they are merely ranked on the impression I got from my friends. Also, the Deloitte work environment sounds awesome from the people I know there, but their lack of size particularly in Audit is what has me placing them last.

One other aspect is that while I've ranked them on my overall feel, these rankings would probably change quite a lot based on division. I think BA for PwC is comparatively better than Internal Audit at the other firms, similarly Deloitte Forensics is meant to be at the forefront, etc.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Officially rejected by PwC today via email.

billbro

HSC
N/A
Huy said:
Officially rejected by PwC today via email.
My friend got rejected too, not sure if it was by mail. I'm still waiting for them, I'm guessing the recruiter will give me a call tomorrow to tell me I got rejected.

I can always hope the BA party is on another night but I doubt it xD

hoppi10

HSC
may seem like a silly question but does the offers night officially mark the end of recruiting

because it seems that a lot of people will still reject pwc's offer leaving them short of the number of positions that they originally intended to recruit?

sdfjsdkl55

HSC
Am yet to be rejected by KPMG after a partner interview two weeks ago. Does that mean you're still on the shortlist in case others drop out, or does it take a while to recieve the rejection letter?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
hoppi10 said:
may seem like a silly question but does the offers night officially mark the end of recruiting

because it seems that a lot of people will still reject pwc's offer leaving them short of the number of positions that they originally intended to recruit?
A lot of the firms arent completely number committed. If people happen to reject the PwC offer a long time after they got it i.e. after the celebration party, then PwC isn't going to call someone else up. They'll just have 1 person less. If lets say, someone got called up and offered a position and rejected it instantly or within a day, then PwC would consider or most likely call up someone else.

billbro

HSC
N/A
leoyh said:
A lot of the firms arent completely number committed. If people happen to reject the PwC offer a long time after they got it i.e. after the celebration party, then PwC isn't going to call someone else up. They'll just have 1 person less. If lets say, someone got called up and offered a position and rejected it instantly or within a day, then PwC would consider or most likely call up someone else.
To an extent I would disagree, maybe it was just an excuse but the the recruiter from PwC told me last week they hadn't made a decision on me as of yet - simply because they were approaching final numbers and wanted to interview all candidates first.

If they weren't particularly phased about the numbers, they could easily overcompensate and the actual intake wouldn't matter too much. However, maybe they already factored that into their final numbers.

Also, I doubt many people who reject a firm on the spot because it simply wouldn't be prudent.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
DexJnr said:
Guys and gals, rank the order of the Big 4 in preference of where you wanted to work both before and after the assessment days..

Here's mine,

Prior:

1. EY
  2. PwC
  3. Deloitte
  4. KPMG
After:

1. EY
  2. PwC
  3. KPMG
  4. Deloitte

This was after getting interviews at KPMG, PwC and EY....and no interview at Deloitte.
This has got to be the most pointless comparison... since everyone will be biased based on whether they got interviews/offers lols.

billbro

HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
This has got to be the most pointless comparison... since everyone will be biased based on whether they got interviews/offers lols.
Not completely pointless, Huy still has KPMG as 3rd for before and after even with an accepted offer at the firm.

On the whole it is pretty useless, since most of the posts will be heavily skewed but most matters are influenced by preconceptions anyway. In the end most us don't even have a true feel/knowledge of the firm anyway.

What will be more interesting is how we feel about the firm after vacs.

hoppi10

HSC
the annoying thing is, and this is obviously coming from a person who has received 0 offers, that people know which firm they will accept yet they reject other offers at the last opportunity...

if it were me... and its easy to say because its not me... but i would have rejected kpmg straight away if i got an offer from pwc and kpmg because i realise that someone else may benefit from me rejecting it

ah well

Huy

HSC
N/A
billbro said:
What will be more interesting is how we feel about the firm after vacs.
Correct! We'll come back next year and see whether things lived up to our expectations and whether grad offers were given out etc.
hoppi10 said:
the annoying thing is, and this is obviously coming from a person who has received 0 offers, that people know which firm they will accept yet they reject other offers at the last opportunity...
hoppi10 I completely know what you mean.

But to help you in this point, I know that in the KPMG contract, it specifically states that you are to withdraw your applications from other firms when you accept your offer with KPMG. So when you sign, you're saying a few things (which I'll make up now from memory).
1. You commit to _________.
2. You will withdraw applications from other firms.
3. You will NOT apply to other firms for that same time period.
4. If given an offer from other firms, you will reject (same as #2 really).

But basically, once you accept, you have a responsibility to withdraw/reject any other offers or applications. Hope that helps you (and yes, I have done everything I can to remove my name from the various places that have contacted me, since signing).

:)

Last edited:

billbro

HSC
N/A
hoppi10 said:

if it were me... and its easy to say because its not me... but i would have rejected kpmg straight away if i got an offer from pwc and kpmg because i realise that someone else may benefit from me rejecting it

ah well
Not as easy as that, personally I only have an offer from KPMG but I wouldn't mind one from PwC either. Reason being, I got a great impression from KPMG at the assessment centre but I only know two acquaintances there and thus I only have a limited perspective on the firm. In contrast, I was disappointed with PwC but I know someone there who gave me a lot of insight and probably why I was hyped about it.

The main issue for me is that at KPMG I'm in External Audit, while at PwC I applied for Business Assurance. In the end, it's not that easy to decide unless you are dead set on a firm. I'm probably just selfish, but given more than one offer I wouldn't simply reject the others as I would want to attend the different under-offer events to find out more.

*Another point I would add is that, some people have offers but not necessarily to the firm that is their first preference. As such, they wouldn't want to compromise their prospects by rejecting one firm simply because they would prefer another firm more.

Last edited:

deakin2009

HSC
..and the decision is not always that clear i have had my offers for two weeks nad still dont have any idea which to take

Huy

HSC
N/A
Yeah they're all fair points. I'll admit I only have one KPMG offer and as soon as I found out that I was rejected by others, I took the best one I could (my only one!).

That said, I did apply to everywhere else and wanted to see how far I could get. It only makes sense to make a comparison and to see what is available out there rather than accept the 1st offer and that's that. But in my case, as soon as I knew where I had to be, I did the smart thing and ethical thing. For those who are still deciding, looking around, etc, they're just looking out for themselves and seeing what else is on offer - I would do the same and most would too.

There are deadlines for a reason and you've got time to decide (and can ask for more even). But what I'm really saying is that you shouldn't make it so personal since it is business and of course, competition is tough/cut-throat? (maybe I'm exaggerating there) but you know, the better man (or woman) wins and that will just inspire you to be better at the end of the day, try harder, etc.

HSC
spontaneous said:
hmmm

Prior:

1. pwc
2. kpmg
3. ey
4. deloitte

After:

1. pwc
2. ey
3. deloitte
4. kpmg
didn't u post that u thought deloitte seemed the best and the least fake....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)