bigpond stuffs up yet again... (1 Viewer)

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
well its all over the news - their email service is 'slower than snail mail'

theres so many problems with bigpond - lucky for me i didnt join up with them a while back - they got crap service

what does everyone else think?

Glide

I disconnected from Bigpond within a month of signing up.. lucky a change in their contract scored me a free exit and a free modem :D :D :D !!

I've been with netspace for over a year now, very good isp :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
"so many problems with bigpond"
true

but the service isn't that shabby (besides the quota)

i've been with telstra bigpond (then bpa) cable now since 99

i don't pay the bill, so i dont get a say in which isp we go with lol

...and i don't use the bigpond.com emails or webspace, they plain suck.

UPDATE: BigPond service recovery may take 'several weeks'
http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness/story/0,2000048590,20279675,00.htm

Let the BSing begin:

Sent to all Support Staff
Tuesday14th October 2003

Good afternoon all,

As per ________'s previous email yesterday, we are very much aware of the current Telstra Email issues and we offer you our appreciation and gratitude for the way you have all banded together in the past few weeks to deal with the obvious customer dissatisfaction.

Telstra are also very much aware of the impacts on our CSR's and are extremely committed to addressing the current Email issue - to which they have had their technical staff working around the clock to ensure that the issue is resolved. Yesterday they released several customer updates on the Email issue, throughout their various press and media avenues. As such please find below a brief summary of the Telstra press release -

"The backdrop to the recent email delays is that Telstra has seen an unexpected spike in traffic on our email network - in fact a 20 per cent spike. The extra traffic load on our email network should not affect Internet access.

The capacity issue is now under control. Telstra is increasing capacity on the email network to put the traffic load issues behind us. A number of manual approaches have been put in place so that customers can continue to send and receive email. Telstras technical staff have been working around the clock to ensure that mail is delivered.

Importantly, customers have always had a working email service. However, some customers might notice a delay in receiving email or see intermittent time outs. We believe that other ISPs have grappled with traffic load issues in the last week. Some of the traffic load issues have not been unique to Telstra."

They have also provided us with a more in-depth update on the current situation and their approved scripting for us to use when dealing with Email affected customers. The approved scripting and Email update has been communicated to all staff via a series of desk drops, handouts, posters and there will also be staff meetings over the next day.

As such please see your Team Leader if you have not received a copy of the staff handout or approved scripting, before commencing your next shift.

Again, thank you for your support and assistance during these difficult times, as it is greatly appreciated by everyone.

Sent to all Support Staff
Monday 13th October 2003

STAFF BRIEF - BIGPOND EMAIL PERFORMANCE ISSUES

BACKGROUND

The backdrop to the recent email delays is that Telstra has seen an unexpected spike in traffic on our email network - in fact a 20 per cent spike.

The extra traffic load on our email network should not affect Internet access.

The capacity issue is now under control. Telstra is increasing capacity on the email network to put the traffic load issues behind us.

A number of manual approaches have been put in place so that customers can continue to send and receive email. Telstra's technical staff have been working around the clock to ensure that mail is delivered.

Importantly, customers have always had a working email service. However, some customers might notice a delay in receiving email or see intermittent time outs.

We believe that other ISPs have grappled with traffic load issues in the last week. Some of the traffic load issues have not been unique to Telstra.

CUSTOMER MESSAGES

While it's important to note that the email service is not and has not been down, we acknowledge that the performance has not been up to scratch for our customers.

We accept that customers are simply not satisfied. Telstra is of course concerned and our technical people have been working around the clock to keep the service working.

Telstra understands that our email service is not meeting customers' expectations. We are doing all we can to ensure that a working service is maintained and that mail is not lost. Telstra staff have worked to ensure that the service has been stable. Our priority is to maintain a working service and not to make hasty decisions which could have seen some data lost.

The surge in traffic comes after August was confirmed the worst month on record for viruses and worms. While we have not had any new worms or viruses confirmed, we believe that we could be seeing a residual impact from previous malicious sources traversing global networks.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Why do people (except rural ppl who don't have choice) use big pond????

they are expensive!!!

there are so many cheeper and better sevices!!!
ie. digiplus, tpg, optus, etc.

dispite this they still have around 55% market share

Huy

HSC
N/A
I'm a Telstra BigPond Cable customer :whistles:
but I don't pay for it, so I'm not too worried :)

Their Internet service (BigPond Broadband) doesn't fail me, and I never use my "5 free @bigpond.com" email addresses lol.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
I'm a Telstra BigPond Cable customer :whistles:
but I don't pay for it, so I'm not too worried :)

Their Internet service (BigPond Broadband) doesn't fail me, and I never use my "5 free @bigpond.com" email addresses lol.

for broadband iinet is best, since there is the unlimited service (slow but its unlimited :)) and there is the bliink service which just slows down your connection rather than charging you for extra downloads.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Yep, I know of iiNet :)

I'm not on ADSL, so it doesn't really apply to me. As you've correctly stated, it isn't necessarily shaped until you exceed more than 50% of your quota, that is, 150% of your total quota.

6GB off peak, 10GB peak I believe.

That's my only beef with Telstra, charging for uploads and additional downloads. I would rather be shaped (capped) and have uploads free of charge, instead of counting towards my monthly (meagre) 3GB.

Glide

Ask the guy next door, the only ISP he's seen advertising is the major ones.. thats why people go with telstra :|

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Glide
Ask the guy next door, the only ISP he's seen advertising is the major ones.. thats why people go with telstra :|
yeah iinet doesn't advertise, i think they rely of word of mouth

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
yup i found it thru researching www.whirlpool.net.au

have been very happy with it... yet it does lag sometimes when im playing online games... which never hpapened with telstra adsl

but meh... onli once in a while.. its ok

considering the huge quota :)

dudditz

Retired Member
HSC
iiNet's value isn't what it used to be.
Unlimited ISPs have come out, most have failed (eg comindico isps).
iiNet is still ok, but you can do so much better now. e.g. westnet.
For unlimited, go Dart. It performs better than iiNet did :) (They don't throttle ports, max speeds all the time, good pings for games, excellent customer service, when you ring, someone actually picks up!)

MrMiK

r we talkn bigpond dial up?
i used to get real good service... its shabbn up now.
neva had prob with email tho.. :S and get on every time.
just slow speeds for the last...half year..
mi folks pay it.. so i dont mind wot net i get... but i am addicted.. so no matter how crap it is.. i still need it to survive..
funny tho.. theres little to do most the time.

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by dudditz
For unlimited, go Dart. It performs better than iiNet did :) (They don't throttle ports, max speeds all the time, good pings for games, excellent customer service, when you ring, someone actually picks up!)
Yep.. Dart looks like the best unlimited ISP on the market... but still... nothing beats the ping of cable... missing it already, and its been 2 months >_>

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by NekkidSerpent
Yep.. Dart looks like the best unlimited ISP on the market... but still... nothing beats the ping of cable... missing it already, and its been 2 months >_>
Ye, when I used to game on O@H Cable, 0 ping on optus servers and <10 ping on other .au ones, ahh the days.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
u cant get 0 ping :p thats unpossible (unless ur server)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i use telstra dial - u p.. its a bloody waste of money.. 28 sumfing a month and limited d/l.. its keeps stopping and slowing down,, then start really fast.. the speed is unpredicatble and stoopid.. the only reason why we have it is because my dad thinks that its more convenient to have it on one bill...
i'm planning to switch after HSC finishes.. any good plans out there?

-X-

HSC
N/A
Maybe the ping was 0.1 so it rounds it down to 0. :D

kimmeh: Iprimus is good for $22 (or $25 i think if your not with them for the phone) unlimited and heaps fast. I was with them for 3 years before i got ADSL.

Jeo

Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
u cant get 0 ping :p thats unpossible (unless ur server)
hahaha! good luck with todays exam man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)