Bio and chem (1 Viewer)

yasa98

HSC
ok I'm doing bio and chem and really like both but the problem is that I don't know how to study both especially bio. I asked my bio teacher and she said ask other students and when I asked them they just said they don't know. I'm really lost and I have no idea how to write good notes or rather how to write notes at all. I feel like everybody want me to fail especially these selfish students. :cry:

HSC
I'm not sure about bio , but I do chem and you want to construct your notes with careful attention to the syllabus. Especially the key words like describe, explain, etc. There are some decent notes in the resources page, but I find most of them not to my style, but parts of each file can be actually decent. Make sure you really understand your notes.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I'm not sure about bio , but I do chem and you want to construct your notes with careful attention to the syllabus. Especially the key words like describe, explain, etc. There are some decent notes in the resources page, but I find most of them not to my style, but parts of each file can be actually decent. Make sure you really understand your notes.
This

I made my own notes according to every dotpoint in the syllabus. Look at the resources page (and the bio/chem sections) for other peoples notes to help make yours better.
Learn the exact definition of the verbs such as evaluate, justify, explain (especially for bio, soooo many explain questions)

Include 2nd and 1st hand investigations in your notes, (if you haven't done something in class, ask your teacher to do it, or else you will have to learn it from other peoples notes or else for a 2nd hand investigation you can research yourself).

You should learn what type of learner you are.
If you're visual, you might want to use mind maps, highlighting (don't go overboard on this), diagrams, etc
Or maybe you might want to record your notes and listen to them... i don't know but whatever works for you

When you're revising, besides doing past papers (which you should be doing hundred of [there's thousands through the forum sections]) what i do is get a syllabus, copy and paste the dot points onto microsoft word (or similar) and write down everything you know about the dot point under it. Then i go over my notes and fill in everything i've missed out (it helps me remember)

Last edited:

asdfqwerty

HSC
Bio is very easy- I assure you. I do chem and bio as well and i favour bio over chem any day.

Basically- make notes based on the syllabus like everybody says. But also practise past questions and look at the model answers and see how they include keywords (Bio is content-heavy, so you need to know which terms to use in the correct context) and keep finding questions to do that reinforces the same dot point. Eventually, you will understand the concepts in Bio if you dont understand it in the first place. you can use textbooks to read what u need to know, it all depends on what textbooks u use (some go into very very extreme details that u dont even need to know for prelim) but afterwards when u look at model answers to exam questions that basically uses the dot point word-for-word, they are very straight-forward and it will make much more sense to you.

basically to make notes for bio- it will really help you if you put everything in logical order (e.g. if you are studying about structures of plant and how the xylem works, then just start from the root to the leaves) and usually some contents which overlap each other will make sense to you.
also, if there are a lot of terms that u dont understand, write the definitions underneath the dot point you are doing as well so when u read ur notes, you can refer to the definitions in case u get confused and it will really help you understand it.

hope this helps :)

yasa98

HSC
thanks a lot, that really helped. Is there anyone willing to sale their prelim bio notes, they would help a lot :D

planino

HSC
One of the preliminary excel bio/chem paperback books actually have syllabus dotpts alongside the textbook material + a mini detachable summary of the syllabus dot pts at the back of the book (DON'T solely rely on these). Use your school book + the excel book to make up your notes (the excel book isn't the best) but use this textbook for structuring ur notes. If you're using conquering chem for school, it's a great textbook for content that you can add to the syllabus dot pts

Sendoh08

HSC
ok I'm doing bio and chem and really like both but the problem is that I don't know how to study both especially bio. I asked my bio teacher and she said ask other students and when I asked them they just said they don't know. I'm really lost and I have no idea how to write good notes or rather how to write notes at all. I feel like everybody want me to fail especially these selfish students. :cry:
WOW thats soo slack.

Hmmmm, i guess you can always drop down to senior science...

How many units are you on???

yasa98

HSC
WOW thats soo slack.

Hmmmm, i guess you can always drop down to senior science...

How many units are you on???
I don't really want to drop to senior science because I love these subjects and I'm good at both, its just that I don't how to write the notes to get prepared for exams.
I'm doing 11U coz I do maths 3U

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Like pretty much everyone's said above, for bio and chem its really about nailing your syllabus dot points. Look through your textbook, the excel book, macquarie book, and other sources you can get your hands on and make notes that directly answer the outcomes. Try to have it short enough that your not rambling, but long enough so that you have enough detail. Past papers, as always, are your best friends. But also, really, really watch your verbs - e.g. describe, explain, etc. You'll get very little marks, for example, if you explain how something works if you were asked to describe its main features.

Dylanamali

HSC
Tips for Biology:

1. It all starts at school.. which means you MUST solidify a solid internal ranking that will be submitted to BOS at the end of the year. In saying that, it doesn't matter what kind of marks you are getting, as long as they are at the upper echelon of your biology cohort - this is especially true for schools with poor ranks. In my case, I went to a school ranked ~280 and it was extremely rare for anyone to get band 6's in courses.. so for me if I did not receive an internal ranking of 1st, I knew that my biology goal of around 94/95 would not be achievable.
So it is essential to work hard throughout the entire year, and not go into it with the mentality that you can fix it all up in the end/HSC exams.

2. BOS notes.. In terms of notes/textbooks/content, I was extremely LAZY. With that said, I always came into the belief during the HSC that it was about how smart you studied rather than how hard you studied. I never had an exercise book during class, I would bring my textbook about once a week, and I would chat to my mate throughout the entire class and would only every now and then write what was being placed on the board on a scrunched up piece of scrap paper that I would usually never look at again.
By looking at my attitude in school, it looks preety bad haha.. but the truth is, that I would have my notes set up that I had downloaded from BOS and edited myself using my textbook on-hand, and even though I wouldn't study them until about 2 weeks prior to the exam.. when I did study them, I studied them very effectively and in a very timely manner and that worked for me very well. I am indeed a crammer .
But in saying all this.. find what works for you.. maybe it's writing your own notes, maybe its vocalising everything, maybe its pretending to teach a class.. whatever works for you is the best thing. For me it was vocalising my notes and teaching people. For you it could be something else, whatever it is, find out what it is and utilise it to its maximum potential.

3. Studyying... I studied about 2 weeks prior to every exam during my HSC year.. I was definitely a major crammer but it worked for me, because I would cram to a point where I knew my notes like the back of my hand and could recall almost everything in there. But in terms of how to study.. specifically for biology, I would recommend hitting your notes HARD. And what I mean by that is, to make sure you completely understand all the content and all the concepts. Biology is a more content driven course in comparison to your Chemistry.. for chemistry I'd recommend hitting past papers ASAP, but for biology which tests more content rather than conceptual ideas and calculations, I'd definitely recommend knowing all your content before hitting past papers. If I was to give a general guideline, I'd say in a 2 week period of study, I'd do 10 days of pure content driven study.. followed by 4 days of past papers. The main use of past papers in Biology is just to understand what kind of questions are usually asked and how to structure your answers.. whenever you do past papers, it is ESSENTIAL to understand where each of your individual marks comes from, and to note them down for each dot point.. by doing that, when you come into the exam you can break down a question immediately into the points that will get you each mark.

In saying that, I'd definitely recommend doing Multiple choice questions ASAP and also doing past paper questions after you finish each module at school. I'd also recommend accelerating through the course if you can, either by yourself or with the aid of a tutor. It's not neccessary.. and it's not something that I did, but if I could go back in time, I would have loved to have done it, as it would have just freed up more time to study on other subjects.

Sendoh08

HSC
I don't really want to drop to senior science because I love these subjects and I'm good at both, its just that I don't how to write the notes to get prepared for exams.
I'm doing 11U coz I do maths 3U
hahah i honestly dont see whats the problem then :p If youre good at it then you dont really need notes.

Just keep doing more past papers.

yasa98

HSC
Tips for Biology:

1. It all starts at school.. which means you MUST solidify a solid internal ranking that will be submitted to BOS at the end of the year. In saying that, it doesn't matter what kind of marks you are getting, as long as they are at the upper echelon of your biology cohort - this is especially true for schools with poor ranks. In my case, I went to a school ranked ~280 and it was extremely rare for anyone to get band 6's in courses.. so for me if I did not receive an internal ranking of 1st, I knew that my biology goal of around 94/95 would not be achievable.
So it is essential to work hard throughout the entire year, and not go into it with the mentality that you can fix it all up in the end/HSC exams.

2. BOS notes.. In terms of notes/textbooks/content, I was extremely LAZY. With that said, I always came into the belief during the HSC that it was about how smart you studied rather than how hard you studied. I never had an exercise book during class, I would bring my textbook about once a week, and I would chat to my mate throughout the entire class and would only every now and then write what was being placed on the board on a scrunched up piece of scrap paper that I would usually never look at again.
By looking at my attitude in school, it looks preety bad haha.. but the truth is, that I would have my notes set up that I had downloaded from BOS and edited myself using my textbook on-hand, and even though I wouldn't study them until about 2 weeks prior to the exam.. when I did study them, I studied them very effectively and in a very timely manner and that worked for me very well. I am indeed a crammer .
But in saying all this.. find what works for you.. maybe it's writing your own notes, maybe its vocalising everything, maybe its pretending to teach a class.. whatever works for you is the best thing. For me it was vocalising my notes and teaching people. For you it could be something else, whatever it is, find out what it is and utilise it to its maximum potential.

3. Studyying... I studied about 2 weeks prior to every exam during my HSC year.. I was definitely a major crammer but it worked for me, because I would cram to a point where I knew my notes like the back of my hand and could recall almost everything in there. But in terms of how to study.. specifically for biology, I would recommend hitting your notes HARD. And what I mean by that is, to make sure you completely understand all the content and all the concepts. Biology is a more content driven course in comparison to your Chemistry.. for chemistry I'd recommend hitting past papers ASAP, but for biology which tests more content rather than conceptual ideas and calculations, I'd definitely recommend knowing all your content before hitting past papers. If I was to give a general guideline, I'd say in a 2 week period of study, I'd do 10 days of pure content driven study.. followed by 4 days of past papers. The main use of past papers in Biology is just to understand what kind of questions are usually asked and how to structure your answers.. whenever you do past papers, it is ESSENTIAL to understand where each of your individual marks comes from, and to note them down for each dot point.. by doing that, when you come into the exam you can break down a question immediately into the points that will get you each mark.

In saying that, I'd definitely recommend doing Multiple choice questions ASAP and also doing past paper questions after you finish each module at school. I'd also recommend accelerating through the course if you can, either by yourself or with the aid of a tutor. It's not neccessary.. and it's not something that I did, but if I could go back in time, I would have loved to have done it, as it would have just freed up more time to study on other subjects.
Thanks a lot, that really helped

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)