which subject do you prefer ?

• biology

Votes: 51 41.8%
  • physics

Votes: 71 58.2%

• Total voters
HSC
N/A
Not in Yr 11. But based on olympiads and stuff in Science course, physics all the way. :grinshak: Takes more skill, neater, more interesting.

BlackDragon

HSC
physics is a much better subject in my opinion. its easy, its all short answers and multiple choice, it scales much better than bio and its far more interesting and diverse. its way more interesting in yr 12 than in yr 11. but stick with it!!

HSC
physics pwns bio :haha:

damn biologists...:mad1:

:rofl:

edit: i can't believe you're having a poll for this.. is physics really that unpopular? or is bio really popular?:confused:

IceOnFire

HSC
the-1-n-only-me said:
edit: i can't believe you're having a poll for this.. is physics really that unpopular? or is bio really popular?:confused:
I think you got that the other way around..:)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I did physics for a whole term this year then i dropped it and picked up bio which im almost topping even though i missed a whole term.

Biology is good for people who can cope with vast amounts of theory, it is generally good for a person who does well in either english, geography or history. Biology is mainly theory with few pracs and has an excursion/camp for a field investigation in yr11. Yr 11 biology is a bit boring the topics are Local Ecosystem, Australian Biota(Australian Flora, Fauna, Evolution, etc), Patterns in Nature(Cells, Gas excchange, Body systems/functioning, etc) and Life on Earth(Formation of life theories, Classification of organisms). But yr 12 biology is more interesting.

Physics is good for people who can explain things and use logic to derive formulas, maths ext is reccomended for physics but it is not compulsory that you even do maths at all, but i would reccomend that you do 2 units of maths atleast to do physics. Also a good textbook is Jacaranda 2nd edition dont use excel, macquarie at the very least. The topics in yr11 are World communicates(Communication-waves, etc), Electrical Energy In the Home(Currents, circuits, calculating energy, etc) Etc. But again yr 12 is much more complex and different but fundamentaly based on these concepts. Physics has quite a few pracs in electrical energy in the home. I would reccomend physics if you are doing 3 unit maths and chemistry or non-humanities subjects.

Note these are just generlisations that i have learnt at my school but it's best to ask your science teacher which science you should do based on your current performance. Also what career or occupation would you want to have?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Wooz said:
I did physics for a whole term this year then i dropped it and picked up bio which im almost topping even though i missed a whole term.

Biology is good for people who can cope with vast amounts of theory, it is generally good for a person who does well in either english, geography or history. Biology is mainly theory with few pracs and has an excursion/camp for a field investigation in yr11. Yr 11 biology is a bit boring the topics are Local Ecosystem, Australian Biota(Australian Flora, Fauna, Evolution, etc), Patterns in Nature(Cells, Gas excchange, Body systems/functioning, etc) and Life on Earth(Formation of life theories, Classification of organisms). But yr 12 biology is more interesting.

Physics is good for people who can explain things and use logic to derive formulas, maths ext is reccomended for physics but it is not compulsory that you even do maths at all, but i would reccomend that you do 2 units of maths atleast to do physics. Also a good textbook is Jacaranda 2nd edition dont use excel, macquarie at the very least. The topics in yr11 are World communicates(Communication-waves, etc), Electrical Energy In the Home(Currents, circuits, calculating energy, etc) Etc. But again yr 12 is much more complex and different but fundamentaly based on these concepts. Physics has quite a few pracs in electrical energy in the home. I would reccomend physics if you are doing 3 unit maths and chemistry or non-humanities subjects.

Note these are just generlisations that i have learnt at my school but it's best to ask your science teacher which science you should do based on your current performance. Also what career or occupation would you want to have?
oh wow .. if that is all true .. that really helped .. ii am doing no humanitarian based subjects WHATSOEVER !! ii hate them so much and wish they would die .. ^^ .. ahah .. so ii guess i should pick physics ? im doing chem and 2u maths and would like to get into pharmacy or phamarcology .. so yeah .. what do you think ?

[edit] btw what is so hard about physics ? and what do you actually have to memories in bio? [/edit]

IceOnFire

HSC
I think what is hard about physics is you have to understand the concepts.
Otherwise I think it's pretty alright.. :D

A bit time consuming at times tho..

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
oh wow .. if that is all true .. that really helped .. ii am doing no humanitarian based subjects WHATSOEVER !! ii hate them so much and wish they would die .. ^^ .. ahah .. so ii guess i should pick physics ? im doing chem and 2u maths and would like to get into pharmacy or phamarcology .. so yeah .. what do you think ?

[edit] btw what is so hard about physics ? and what do you actually have to memories in bio? [/edit]
What i stated are just generalisations based on my cohort and at my previous school. What i was basically saying before is that there is more theory in biology and that english/humanities people who can cope with lots of info tend to be better at bio, but this is certainly not always the case. Also their is theory involved in physics and a little bit of history. Most pharmacology/pharmacy degrees will have a reccomended chemistry component with either physics or bio. But it also depends if you have a good physics teacher aswell if your not prepared to study the whole course in your own time aswell. 2 unit maths should be sufficient if you can easily manipulate forumulae and can remember the theory behind them or used to explain it.

Check out Trebla's notes they are an excellent summary of both the bio and physics course but you must save them to view it: http://community.boredofstudies.org.../offical-year-11-preliminary-resources/7.html

Last edited:

trying2motivate

HSC
I dont do both so i cant really compare the two, but i do biology and i really enjoy it. As mentioned in previous replys, biology has a lot of content to be learnt. Therefore when it comes to exams or tests, you could be studying a heaps of work but only a portion of it will actually be questioned. Thats the only down thing. But because i find it an enjoyable subject, it doesnt phase me

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
hmmm .. ii think ii may choose physics ><" .. if it gets too hard ii may change it .. this has been so hard for me to choose and id like to thank you guys for helping .. =] & im gona go and stress now .. LOL

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Biology is one of my favourite subjects. I'm going well in it (though I only got third in the last assessment cause I made a really stupid mistake, grr- there's a lesson for everyone, don't do assessments half asleep, OK), with minimal effort.
Wow, my rambling is barely coherent.
Hmm, if you like solving problems, go Physics. I used to enjoy that. You know, that satisfaction you get when you solve a difficult question. Personally, I've turned so lazy this year I just can't be bothered (that would be why I'm failing Physics). My teacher is so disappointed in me, I feel so bad. I'm only going well at the moment in subjects where it's all just theory (I soak new information up like a sponge!), or you can bullshit your way to a good mark (English).
Anyway, i think Biology is really fun! (and easy)
(Be warned though,the first topic SUCKS!)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
sle3pe3bumz: I would highly recommend you check out some textbooks like I mentioned the other day. People's opinions are helpful, but it's often better to get some first hand opinion yourself. :)

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Physics. Duh. For starters, astronomy is much more interesting than, say, I don't know, studying insects? :p

BFF

HSC
It depends how much you like science. I dont do biology but the impression i get is that it is more theory based whilst physics is prac based.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
You don't have to remember millions of scientific names to address the billions of different species on this Earth, you just have to remember some formulas like V=IR, Ep=mgh, Ek=1/2mv2 and F=ma ... :)

Last edited:

BlackDragon

HSC
Wooz said:
that just shows you have a dumb class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)