Bio or physics??? (1 Viewer)

chrisx000

HSC
I am deciding between physics and bio. Biology has always appealed to me more but I don't like the fact that it is just memorising. At the moment I do maths ext 1 (accelerated) and people have been recommending I do physics to complement maths but I just find the concepts of physics hard.

happy_turtle

HSC
I enjoy physics a lot more than bio (I dropped bio) purely because I like the content more but if your just going to pick it because of the maths I wouldn't suggest it because the maths is basically at a year 9 level

chairs

HSC
yea. physics has basically no maths. physics also requires writing essays. i found bio to be more easily understood though

baktiar77

HSC
HSC-style Physics and Bio are quite similar in some regards that there is extensive rote-learning in certain topics. However, physics application q’s that require your understanding of physics principle in real world e.g. motor effect are definitely harder than their bio counterparts which at worst maybe an inheritance pattern cross or gene (chromosome?) map. Additionally, there are at least 2 or more calculation questions, most which can be solved by calculator but some requiring derivation of formulas not on formula sheet.

Overall it is up to you to decide. Bio is certainly ‘easier’ if you’re the rote-learning sort of guy but if memorising isn’t your strong point and you’re confident in explaining principles in real world then go physics.

yea. physics has basically no maths. physics also requires writing essays. i found bio to be more easily understood though
Essays? From my experience, most bio exams usually have a 6~8 marker extended response question that usually involve 2 or 3 application and around three 4~5 markers. When I did bio, most of cohort ended up asking for extra paper (me included :p).

In contrast, Physics does have two application based 4~5 markers based on lenz/Farday/induction etc. (i.e. topics that are more application based) and at max one question ranging from 3~6 marks about a scientist or competing scientist,advancements in technology.

chairs

HSC
yea, you are correct, point was physics doesnt deal with much math -

Mr_Kap

HSC
I am deciding between physics and bio. Biology has always appealed to me more but I don't like the fact that it is just memorising. At the moment I do maths ext 1 (accelerated) and people have been recommending I do physics to complement maths but I just find the concepts of physics hard.
Both involve copious amounts of memorisation, however in Physics has some calcs, and also questions which try to assess your understanding of that knowledge and certain concepts, which is what makes this Physics more difficult than Biology. The concepts are also harder to grasp in physics, and I remember having to ask a heap of questions. Also, MC in physics reks u unless u practice a shit tonne. MC in bio is straightforward lol.

Biology is mainly just memorisation only with simpler concepts, but its still alright to try understand what your memorising to idk make the subject not as dry. So yeh Bio defninitely like easier in the sense that if u put solid hours on memorising youll get a good mark....

However, they say pick subjects you like.

Last edited:

xiaren

HSC
Didn't do physics so I can't provide any comparison, but I didn't find bio to be that bad in terms of memorising. The content you need to memorise is substantial (however, I wouldn't say it's more substantial than chem for instance), but if it interests you then it probably won't be too much of a chore. Also, it's not "just memorising" - there are problem questions (e.g. with pedigrees, Punnett squares) as well, and questions where it's more about application than pure knowledge. And as others have said, the concepts in bio are generally easy to grasp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)