Biology Olympiad Help (1 Viewer)

hayabusaboston

HSC
Hey people
I want to start preparing for the Biology NQE 2012 but I don't know what to study. I found the syllabus on the site but there's hardly any detail there, and the site says too that the syllabus is only a guide, not an all inclusive list. So could someone please tell me, if possible someone who's tried for the Biology NQE what are the topics we're meant to study and where can we get resources from? Does anyone know of the entire list of topics?

Alkanes

HSC
Wow i'm impressed. What school do you attend?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I did the Chem and Phys NQE in 2009. My school gave me resources to study from, mainly because I was asked to do these exams.

SO yeah, ask your teachers. :)

kurama-amanama

HSC
Hello there!
I'm new to the site which is why this post is so late but if its any consolation I made the Australian Biology Olympiad team this year so I've got a pretty good idea what I'm talking about. :)
The Biology NQE is designed to filter out the students who have the ability to REASON, not the ones who know the most. I sat the test at my school with a girl who had gone to Olympiad camp a year earlier (and so obviously knew everything) but I still got in because I was able to think through the questions and make a logical guess a lot of the time. Studying for the NQE is only helpful if you have reasoning skills already, but it is great that you want to prepare. I suggest looking over everything you can find about plants and muscles, because these topics normally have a few questions associated with them on the NQE. Also work on cell biology and animal physiology if you have any time.
The NQE is a lot like other science external exams in that you are given a score (Credit, distinction, high distinction, participation, etc.) in relation to what percentile you are in. You need to score at LEAST a high distinction to be considered for the camp, but while the top 10 or 5% get a High D only the top 22 (or so) people in the country will be invited to the Olympiad Camp. If you need any more help/advice just ask, I'm sure I've got some notes on this stuff somewhere I could dig up.
Best of luck!

muddrako

HSC
Hello there!
I'm new to the site which is why this post is so late but if its any consolation I made the Australian Biology Olympiad team this year so I've got a pretty good idea what I'm talking about. :)
The Biology NQE is designed to filter out the students who have the ability to REASON, not the ones who know the most. I sat the test at my school with a girl who had gone to Olympiad camp a year earlier (and so obviously knew everything) but I still got in because I was able to think through the questions and make a logical guess a lot of the time. Studying for the NQE is only helpful if you have reasoning skills already, but it is great that you want to prepare. I suggest looking over everything you can find about plants and muscles, because these topics normally have a few questions associated with them on the NQE. Also work on cell biology and animal physiology if you have any time.
The NQE is a lot like other science external exams in that you are given a score (Credit, distinction, high distinction, participation, etc.) in relation to what percentile you are in. You need to score at LEAST a high distinction to be considered for the camp, but while the top 10 or 5% get a High D only the top 22 (or so) people in the country will be invited to the Olympiad Camp. If you need any more help/advice just ask, I'm sure I've got some notes on this stuff somewhere I could dig up.
Best of luck!
Hi! Could you email me some notes too please :) I would be really really grateful. This is my email : muddrakobusiness@gmail.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)