biology or maths? (1 Viewer)

dancingskeleton

HSC
I'm at Tafe this year doing prelim + the hsc in one year. I've already done my HSC, i'm just adding subjects for a better uai etc.

I'm doing 2 unit maths and chemistry

BUT I just realised that It might be a better use of my time to do biology? It takes me a great deal of time to understand anything in maths - i'm not chickening out, all i want to do is get the best UAI possible and i need either 2 sciences or science + maths.

By the way i'm doing this to get into a bachelor of science in nutrition at wollongong Uni.

But can everyone who has/is doing biology please offer me some advice?

Would it be easier to get a better uai with biology or 2 unit maths?

And would biology be helpful to me in terms of learning about the human body? or energy? and stuff?

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
For your UAI it really depends what sort of subjects suit you as a person, whether it be maths or bio.
Biology is very much a content based course (similar to PDHPE if you did that). There is a lot to remember in terms of content but I find it an easy subject to study for if you follow the syllabus. Maths is extremely different as it is application rather than content.

In terms of the human body there isn't really a great deal in terms of what you are looking for however there is a decent amount and it would be a wiser choice to do instead of maths if you want that sort of background knowledge.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
biology you just have to remember stuff, maths is some remembering but more applications and sometimes can get complicated

if u want to do well, i think biology is a safer choice (not guaranteeing u'd do better) maths however, CAN be less work or easier but as you said, you dont understand maths easily so it wouldn't be smart to do that unless u like it..

aliwonga

HSC
yes, bio does help u with the human body...

in yr 11 bio we did a detail on plants, cells... mainly plants
in yr 12 bio it is mainly the human body, DNA, genes (pretty interesting ^^)

but I don't know what kind of work u do in Tafe so just saying as a school student, bio will help u with your uni course than maths. however it doesn't matter what subjects you do to get to the course u want. it all goes down to how well you do them (your UAI).

best advice is to do a subject that u like/ enjoy the most and that u do better in to get your highest mark.

good luck! :)

dancingskeleton

HSC
oooh I'm getting pretty tempted to switch to bio.

The thing is i've missed the first 3 weeks - which in tafe is huge. In tafe we've covered basic arithmatic and algebra in 9 days, which makes your head hurt a little.

But I think i could handle Bio by the sounds of it.. I prefer writing and summarising to solving maths delemmas. It all makes sense to me if theres things to learn and write down rather than.. logical thinking..

by the way thanks everyone. Keep it coming!

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
biology you just have to remember stuff, maths is some remembering but more applications and sometimes can get complicated

if u want to do well, i think biology is a safer choice (not guaranteeing u'd do better) maths however, CAN be less work or easier but as you said, you dont understand maths easily so it wouldn't be smart to do that unless u like it..
wrong, the last few years have had in increase in the application of knowledge into models and such

dancingskeleton

HSC
I've got this same post in the Uni section, and they're mostly saying stay with maths.

oh and we're doing exactly the same courses as school kiddies at tafe, just in 9 months rather than 2 yrs.

I'm going okay in maths at the moment, and I am trying hard, the only thing is that I'm just not a maths kind of person. I might visit a bio lesson or talk to some teachers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)