Biology vs. Economics (1 Viewer)

november29

HSC
So it's the end of week 3 and I've already come to despise biology. The reason I chose to do it was because I was really pressured into doing a science, by my teachers and friends despite having little interest in the sciences. Well, in the end I relented. And I regret very much in doing so.
So my question to you now is if I should change to eco. I know many people say that bio's prelim course is mundane, but the year 12 course is extremely interesting. Do you think it would be worth keeping in such case? I don't know too much about economics but on surface it does appeal to me.
Any advice or experiences (may it be in relation to enjoyment, difficulty or scaling) would be very much appreciated!

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
So it's the end of week 3 and I've already come to despise biology. The reason I chose to do it was because I was really pressured into doing a science, by my teachers and friends despite having little interest in the sciences. Well, in the end I relented. And I regret very much in doing so.
So my question to you now is if I should change to eco. I know many people say that bio's prelim course is mundane, but the year 12 course is extremely interesting. Do you think it would be worth keeping in such case? I don't know too much about economics but on surface it does appeal to me.
Any advice or experiences (may it be in relation to enjoyment, difficulty or scaling) would be very much appreciated!
hey.
i do both of these subjects.
what do you want to do after you finish school? neither of these subjects are pre reqs for any uni courses (that i know of), but knowledge of them is an advantage if you were to do a science course (bio) or a business degree (eco).

this is my personal opinion, but I do enjoy biology more than economics, but I don't actually know which one I'm performing better in relation to my year group because our school never gives us our ranks (even if we ask for them).

but since you don't really like science, i think economics is the way to go. biology isn't really a subject that you can cruise through (i bet the physics and chemistry students disagree), you do really need to enjoy the subject to be able to do really well.
and i think that economics scales better than bio? correct me if i'm wrong.

if you have any other questions, just ask!
hope this helps.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
Economics is a social science. It's the science of money. I hate money, therefore I hate economics. I like legal studies, and there is a connection between money (compensation) and the law, but I am interested in how effective the law is at achieving justice. If you are interested in the business world (unlike me), please do economics. You would probably enjoy it. I am not interested in a subject based on human ingenuity (a better phrase is human foolishness), hence I am not taking economics for the HSC. The world would be better off without money.

Do economics if you are interested in the business world (businesses, money, profit/loss, cradle-to-grave analysis, shares, the state of the economy, governments, etc.). If you are interested in the natural world (ecosystems, patterns in nature, evolution, homoeostasis, genetics, health and disease), do biology.
hahaha what the hell?
i think business studies covers businesses, profit/loss and crap like that. i've never even heard of the cradle-to-grave analysis, i think that might be in the business course as well.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
I'd personally take Bio.

muzeikchun852

HSC
economics for sure according to ur hatred to biology.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Schoey: Please stfu about Economics, you don't know anything about it and you are giving horrible advice.

OP: If you hate Biology change to Economics as quick as you can, otherwise you will find year 11 very unpleasant.

Luxxey

candied queen
HSC
I hated Year 11 Biology. Year 12 is much more interesting, like you said. Difficulty aside, at the end of the day it's just straight out memorization. If you can't remember shitloads of information, or understand all the concepts (Bio's pretty heavy), don't do it. You'll struggle.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You fail to realise that the economics syllabus overlaps with the business studies syllabus. Why wouldn't you address profit/loss in economics? Don't you learn about shares? One invests to make a profit but may end up losing. Cradle-to-grave analysis is an analysis of the environmental implications a product has. It may not be covered in the economics course but if one were interested in this type of analysis an accompanying interest in economics would be unsurprising.

If you are interested in businesses, you may also be interested in economies. Businesses drive the Australian economy (among other things).
You don't do HSC Economics.
You don't do HSC Business Studies.
You don't do Prelim Economics.
You don't do Prelim Business Studies.

Please stop giving advice.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
You fail to realise that the economics syllabus overlaps with the business studies syllabus. Why wouldn't you address profit/loss in economics? Don't you learn about shares? One invests to make a profit but may end up losing. Cradle-to-grave analysis is an analysis of the environmental implications a product has. It may not be covered in the economics course but if one were interested in this type of analysis an accompanying interest in economics would be unsurprising.

If you are interested in businesses, you may also be interested in economies. Businesses drive the Australian economy (among other things).
Dude seriously, you haven't even done the economics or the business courses. And I am aware that the economics syllabus does sometimes overlap with business, but that doesn't mean that they're identical!

Last edited:

mioumiou

HSC
I would prefer doing Bio. I'm doing bio and at the moment, we're doing Patterns in Nature in my opinion, just do the subjects that you love, there's no point doing the subjects that you don't like, as it has been mentioned above. =)

Schoey93

HSC
Schoey: Please stfu about Economics, you don't know anything about it and you are giving horrible advice.

OP: If you hate Biology change to Economics as quick as you can, otherwise you will find year 11 very unpleasant.
I will now delete my horrible advice.

I spoke about economics/business studies as I have experienced them during my study of SC commerce. There was never any distinction between business and economics in the course. Mrs H (AP and economics/social science teacher) gave me the impression that they are linked on the subject choices night.

I personally will not do economics. The OP may have a different outlook on the world of economics. I mentioned in my post that he should make a choice based on where his interests lie.

Schoey93

HSC
You don't do HSC Economics.
You don't do HSC Business Studies.
You don't do Prelim Economics.
You don't do Prelim Business Studies.

Please stop giving advice.
What is this, a trial? Why is there a precedent that says 'if a person writes about a subject based on external information and advice, he shall be attacked'?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I hated Year 11 Biology. Year 12 is much more interesting, like you said. Difficulty aside, at the end of the day it's just straight out memorization. If you can't remember shitloads of information, or understand all the concepts (Bio's pretty heavy), don't do it. You'll struggle.
umm and ur suggesting eco is gona be easy?, its also gona have sh1tloads of info to mem...just drop bio if u hate it, at the start of yr 12...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
What is this, a trial? Why is there a precedent that says 'if a person writes about a subject based on external information and advice, he shall be attacked'?
The opening post asked for 'advice' and 'experiences'. Not bullshit-pulled-out-of-the-thin-air-heard-from-my-eighteenth-cousin-chinese-whispers-and-now-passed-on-as-facts opinion. *shrug*

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
personally, id drop bio and switch to eco.
+1

But seriously, do what you want. I suggest you go to the library and pick up/borrow HSC eco and bio text books/study guides. Skim through it and see what you find more interesting and do that subject as you're more likely going to perform better in it :)

ilikebeeef

HSC
I spoke about economics/business studies as I have experienced them during my study of SC commerce. There was never any distinction between business and economics in the course. Mrs H (AP and economics/social science teacher) gave me the impression that they are linked on the subject choices night.
Schoey, you don't need to name your teachers, friends, siblings etc.

And please, don't give your experiences of SC Commerce as they are no true reflection on HSC Economics. It is like giving your experience of preschool to describe primary school, if not worse.

Please stop being a secondary source.

umm and ur suggesting eco is gona be easy?, its also gona have sh1tloads of info to mem
+1. Most people do NOT find Eco easy.

ilikebeeef

HSC
"Interesting" is a subjective term. If you don't like bio, drop it. Remember you'll be doing all or almost all your chosen subjects for about two years.

EDIT: However. Your interest in a subject can change over time. I liked Eco at first then got bored and desired to drop it.

And keep in mind that you may not like all the courses you do. But it's the HSC so you may have to grin and bear it, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)