Biopolymers ??? (1 Viewer)

princesssfi

breakmystride
HSC
Just wondering if anyone has been able to find much information about biopolymers around - for example PHA, PHB etc. As far as i can see the information in my textbook (CHem COntexts) is about enough to get a band one in the hsc and its been hinted by my teachers they could spring a 6-mark question on us about it.
Stupidly i'll admit i got an extension on an assingment and have since forgotten all about it - so i'm looking if anyone has
-different biopolymers
-links?
-any info about how they are produced at all....

thanks a bunch. :)

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
The Macquarie textbook has a good overview of PHAs and, when combined with other secondary sources (google), gives you all the info you need. That's how I did it

richz

u can find sum sites, at hsc.csu but heres wat i have.

The dot pt asks u to analyse the progress
-in 1925 Limogne produced PHB by feeding bacteria with diet rich nutrient
-1980 Dow successfully cloned 3 genes from the micro organsim Alcaligenes Eutrophus that was needed to produce PHB. He transfered these genes in E coli (easily made bacteria)
-Dow then injected the PHB gene into maize plants and corn. This allowed large amt of PHB to be produced and harvested.
-PHB is still, rigid, biodegradable and renewable
-It was used in the medical industry for sutures due to its non toxic and decomposable properties
- Also used for shampoo bodies due to biodegrad.
- PHB is very expensive to produce so it failed in both cases
- Now the PHB has not advanced so it is still quite expensive to produce
- Scientists finding a way to produce it more efficiently

Libbster

HSC
i had to do an assignment on biopolymers. here is the info. Enjoy!

1. Name the biopolymer

Biopol is the trade name of the biopolymer. This biopolymer is a polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) and it is a co-polymer, consisting of the monomers polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB) and polyhydroxyvalerate (PHV).

2. Name the specific enzyme or organism used to synthesise the material

Biopol is produced industrially, using the fermentation of sugars by the bacterium “Alcaligenes eutrophus” which grow in tanks with a carbon-based food source. The polymer is then separated and purified. More recently, it has been attempted to produce the biopolymer more economically by using genetic engineering techniques. Genetically engineering bacteria such as E. Coli so that it produces PHA is beneficial. Faster growth, better yields, easier recovery (accumulation of the biopolymer in the bacteria causes them to become fragile) and less waste biomass are all advantages of using genetically-engineered E. Coli. By also genetically engineering plants such as cress and potatoes, biodegradable plastics can also be produced cheaply. The plants create the biopolymer instead of storing starch. The polymers made from plants have the same structure as those produced by bacteria. The significance of these methods of production is that Biopol is produced naturally by renewable agricultural resources.

3. Describe the properties of the polymer

Biopol is stable in air and is quite stable when stored in humid conditions. Biopol is also fully biodegradable with degradation to carbon dioxide and water only occurring when Biopol is exposed to micro-organisms found naturally in soil, sewage, river bottoms, and other comparable environments. The rate of degradation depends on the thickness of the material and how much bacteria is present. Simulated landfill situations over a 19 week phase show that Biopol bottles experienced a weight loss ranging from 30% with oxygen present to 80% with no oxygen present. The fact that Biopol decomposes more speedily without oxygen is noteworthy because oxygen is not always present in large amounts in modern-day landfills.

Biopol is also insoluble in water, permeable to oxygen, UV light resistant, acid and base resistant, soluble in chlorinated hydrocarbons, and biocompatible (little chance of being rejected by the body). Biopol also has a high melting point, high tensile strength, is denser than water and is non-toxic.

4. Evaluate the use (or potential use) of the polymer

There are many potential uses for the biodegradable polymer Biopol. More uses are continually being found because of Biopol’s biocompatibility and biodegradability.

Applications for Biopol include:

• A replacement for petroleum-derived plastics because Biopol has high tensile strength, it is insoluble in water, non-toxic and biodegradable.

• Disposable products used in the food industry such as utensils, cups and plates because Biopol is strong, insoluble in water, non-toxic and biodegradable.

• Plastic wrap for packaging, coatings for paper and cardboard, moisture barrier films for hygienic products, disposable containers for shampoo and cosmetics, and disposable items such as razors, rubbish bags and disposable nappies because Biopol has high tensile strength, it is insoluble in water, non-toxic and biodegradable.

• Agricultural uses include a carrier for slow release of pesticides, herbicides or fertilisers because Biopol is biodegradable and non-toxic.

• Medical and pharmaceutical uses such as gauzes, sutures, filaments, implants, drug carriers, and coatings for drugs because Biopol is biocompatible, biodegradable and non-toxic.

• Biopol has also been used to make a bicycle helmet. The helmet was made with Biopol fibres and cellulose high performance fibres. It degraded after being buried 40 days in the soil.

Even though Biopol is at present more expensive to produce than conventional plastics, it is biodegradable, therefore allowing more effective waste management. Biopol is also made from renewable crops rather than fossil fuels. Using transgenic plants to produce Biopol is expected to lower costs so that this polymer becomes price-competitive with petroleum-based polymers.

The fact that Biopol is biodegradable is important because containers and disposable items would decompose more rapidly, therefore reducing the space occupied by landfill. Also using Biopol to produce the above products will reduce dependence on fossil fuels, thus making fossil fuels last longer. Biopol in medicine will also save more lives, due to biocompatibility and fewer allergic reactions.

Biopol is a viable, albeit more expensive alternative to current fossil fuel products. Using Biopol to make the above products reduces negative effects on the environment, as Biopol eventually degrades to only carbon-dioxide and water, instead of being present for a large amount of time like current plastic products. Future developments for the uses of Biopol will be beneficial, as landfill will be reduced and perhaps new life-saving drugs could be formed with the help of Biopol.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
PHB (i've done this probably 2 million times '-_-)

Name: PHB stands for Poly-β-hydroxybutanoate, which is part of the group PHA (Poly-β-hydroxyalkanoate).

Properties: It is a recently developed biopolymer, which has similar properties to polypropylene, with the important exception that it is biodegradeable.

Synthesis: PHB is produced from microorganisms, such as Alcaligenes Eutrophus. The selected microorganism is placed in a suitable medium and fed the appropriate nutrients for it to multiply. When the desired amount has been reached, a nutrient (for example, nitrogen) is removed and the organism would cease to reproduce and begin forming the polymer. Around 30%-80% of the microorganism's dry weight can be harvested as the polymer.

Potential Usage: PHB is especially significant where biodegradeability is of concern. For example, it has great potential to be manufactured into medical supplies, nappies, plastic bottles and plastic packaging.

Hope that helps. :D Good luck!

EDIT: alright... fine :mad: someone has beaten me to it and has a better answer :( but mine was from the top of my head without copy paste so HUH! :p

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
try searching up the forum a lil... honestly, i do find it quite repetitive seeing exact same threads appearing on a periodic basis...

i am sure there are at LEAST 3+ A rated threads already devoted to biopolymers...

on a separate note, PLA is an other common one...

HSC
Me thinks Cellulose is a biopolymer......unsure but thats what i wrote in my chem exam. Used as a natural and cleaneer alternative to get ethanol n ethene. And those chemicals are used for all soughts of stuff that you should've learned earlier.
I think its a biopolymer.......actually i'm pretty sure and cellulose is a good one to use you might've done class work on it.
Cheers

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Marcus Aurelius said:
Me thinks Cellulose is a biopolymer......unsure but thats what i wrote in my chem exam. Used as a natural and cleaneer alternative to get ethanol n ethene. And those chemicals are used for all soughts of stuff that you should've learned earlier.
I think its a biopolymer.......actually i'm pretty sure and cellulose is a good one to use you might've done class work on it.
Cheers
Cellulose is more related to condensation polymers. As a biopolymer... there isn't as much to say. Cellulose has the potential to provide products that we currently obtain from the petroleum industry but because of the uneconomical process of converting cellulose to glucose (it usually just breaks down into water and carbon dioxide) it cannot be widely used. It's main uses are to make paper, cardboard and cellulose-derivatives such as cellulose acetate (overhead projectiles), cellulose nitrate (film - early years), and carboxymethyl cellulose - CMC (thickener).

HSC
So Cellulose is not a biopolymer? (Or at least not a decent one) Oh well 5 marks gone in my test :p

azza_3761

HSC
Further info on PHB or poly( B- hydroxybutonate)

When the bacterium is supplied with a medium rich glucose and valeric acid it synthesises and stores a copolymer of PHB and PHV.
Uses Properties
Containers Hard, non toxic, insoluble in water,
Golf tee Biodegradeable
Fishing line Insoluble in water, resistance to UV light, acids and bases
Disposable nappies Insoluble in water, non toxic
Bags and wrapping film Insoluble in water, high melting point
Hospital supplies Insoluble in water, non – toxic

PBH good as it is biodegradeable

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Marcus Aurelius said:
So Cellulose is not a biopolymer? (Or at least not a decent one) Oh well 5 marks gone in my test :p
cellulose is a biopolymer... just that since syllabus listed separate to the student do dp, many teachers are weary of the use of celluse in the 2nd hand investigation... so safe to do an other biopolymer than cellulose...

HSC
Got my results back for chem today. In my biopolymer questin i used cellulose and it worked out fine. 5/5 for that question, if only my whole test was like that :)
So yeah, use cellulose if you like but by the sounds of things you should probably use something else.

Pace_T

HSC
gah i fucked up a question on biopolymers in my half yearly
it was outline the developments of a named biopolymer
i failed to outline e coli etc etc in phb
all i done was talk about its initial production and how it was produced much more efficiently from 1970

it was a 2 mark q only (luckily)
do u think i wil lose both marks or maybe just 1?
thanks a bunch

nit

HSC
why would you bother doing PLA if you haven't researched any biopolymers when there's so much info (especially in this thread) on PHB? These forums should really become more centred on critical thinking as opposed to simply spoon-feeding dot-points to those who haven't been bothered to do any work.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
nit said:
why would you bother doing PLA if you haven't researched any biopolymers when there's so much info (especially in this thread) on PHB? These forums should really become more centred on critical thinking as opposed to simply spoon-feeding dot-points to those who haven't been bothered to do any work.
Chem Pathways has tons on PLA if anyone's interested.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
nit said:
How would you suggest this change occur?

nit

HSC
the change should first be made in the syllabus and these bos forums should then change accordingly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)