bloody electives (1 Viewer)

lord chumpley

HSC
i'm stuck ...i can't decide what i want to do for my elective next year - i could do performance but i don't particularly like the core topic and it's hard to find stuff , composition is just about out of the question, maybe i could do musicology but i don't know of anyone that's done it...
what elective did you do/are doing/will do? and why did you choose one over another? and any suggestions for a lost soul!?
thanks!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
i did composition elective for 2 unit and performance for extension. I didnt do performance for 2 unit cos my endurance isnt that great and i thought that it might have been risky to play 6 pieces in a row because my chops could get stuffed. The beauty of doing composition or musicology is that once youve finished them, you hand them in and you never worry about it ever again, cos its done. But with performance, you could spend 6 hours a day practicing and putting in so much work, but if you get nervous on the day or something and stuff up and then your screwed. So yeah i did a total of 2 compositions, and 4 pieces for performance. Also with extension you can play whatever you want as long as its contrasting in style or whatever but with 2 unit you have to play pieces withing the specific topic. Dont wory you can start off doing whatever and if you dont like it you can always change it - thats what i did - it took me almost the whole first term to decide so yeah

skankit

i did the same as trumpet geek :)

it depends what instrument you play!

for brass players like us especially, but all wind instruments, you have to have the stamina to get through 6pieces.. which i just couldnt do, i couldnt even make it through my 4 coz of nerves :(

i had fun with composition... :rolleyes: nah i did my elective composition the weekend before it was due, and i think it was ok!

its up to you, but as trumpet geek said you can swap easily, one of my friends swapped to composition really late and she still got hers done. keep your options open, maybe? like look for good pieces to play and if you cant find any go for compo or musicology?

lord chumpley

HSC
crappy music departments

i play the violin, so physically i can get through all the pieces, and i'm not even doing extension. but i don't think that my playing is up to scratch as much as all the other people in the year - i think i'd prefer to concentrate on the core aussie piece, and do that as well as i can, and then do musicology as an elective. only problem is that my school's music department is reeealllyyyy lacking in ..er.."resources" . there's been only two people (at most) doing music 2 each year, and my teacher isn't particularly organised. i only have four periods a week because of the stinky school rules about student numbers, so i don't know if i'm going to get the support i need if i do musicology. maybe i'll keep my eye on a couple of pieces and do musicology, and if that's crap i'll try to switch. worse case senario, i'll do crappy crap!!! but hey, it's only uni =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)