Bond strength? (1 Viewer)

emphasis

HSC
Hi
I need help with a question, 'Rank the strength of the bonds in metallic, ionic, covalent molecular and covalent network substances in order from weakest to strongest'.
I'm sure that covalent molecular is the weakest and covalent network bonds are the strongest. What bond is stronger out of metallic and ionic?
Any help will be appreciated, Thanks!

namburger

Noob Member
HSC
Weakest
covalent molecular
ionic
metallic
covalent network
Strongest

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
I actually thought metallic bond is weaker than ionic...

According to wiki, NaCl has a much higher B.P. than just Na...

HSC
N/A
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia
Hey, that's also on Wikipedia!1!

Just saying...

minijumbuk said:
I actually thought metallic bond is weaker than ionic...
... no?

Ionic bonds vary in strength; some stronger than metallic, others not. Metallic bonds tend to be fairly weak due to the simultaneous attraction of e-'s by a large number of kernels (atom without its valence e-'s). Ionic bonds, on the other hand, are typically strong bonds, due to the electrostatic force of attraction.

OP, has your question been answered (sufficiently well), and are further attempts merely beating a dead horse?

paige92

HSC
With covalent molecules, the covalent bonding between the actual elements of the molecule as the intramolecular forces are actually the stronest along with covalent network solids, but in terms of melting and boiling points and the intermolecular forces between molecules, the Van der Waal dispersion forces between the molecules are the weakest making their melting/boiling points very low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)