Bonus ATAR points? (1 Viewer)

Need_Help

HSC
N/A
I know a lot of other unis have schemes that offer bonus atar points if you do well in certain hsc subjects - like unsw have hsc plus - but i havent heard much about sydney? Do they offer a similar scheme??
Thinking about applying for 2011.
Thanks

spence

HSC
They do let some people in below the cutoff, even if they don't advertise the fact

Need_Help

HSC
N/A
They do let some people in below the cutoff, even if they don't advertise the fact
Really? is that a known fact or something u experienced?
How would you go abouts applying for that?

spence

HSC
It happened to me, I was about 4 points below the cutoff and still got accepted. You don't have to apply for it, it happens automatically

izzy88

HSC
Really? is that a known fact or something u experienced?
How would you go abouts applying for that?
You don't apply, but you can't rely on it either. It generally occurs because many uni's, including USYD, inflate the UAI cutoff for courses, because it makes the uni and the course seem more prestigious. So despite usyd, for example, saying the UAI cut-toff for law was 99.65, they might actually accept people that got 99.6.

Need_Help

HSC
N/A
It happened to me, I was about 4 points below the cutoff and still got accepted. You don't have to apply for it, it happens automatically
if u dont mind me asking, what course was that?

ben150891

HSC
i got accepted this year and i was 5 points under the cut off. Its called flexible entry. they dont do it for all courses though. for courses with high atars you probably wouldnt get in. I needed 84 for my course but i got in with 79. but if you wanted to apply for vet sci for example you wouldnt be able to. even if your 0.5 points of the atar you dont get accepted cause its that competitive.

With flexible entry I had to submit a form that says i did good in relevant hsc subjects, a statement of commitment and also i had to put down relevant volunteer work.

hope this helps

X2RADialbomber

mandapanda
HSC
I called the uni last year about bonus points and they said "Just make sure Usyd is your first preference and you will get the bonus points provided your marks are good." I kept Usyd as my first preference and got into my preferred course, even though I was around 0.80 points under the cut-off. I'm really not sure how they applied the bonus points in my case because there was no ATAR cut-off for my degree. Anyway, I'm glad I got in. Usyd rules! :lol:

Just out of my curiosity... what course are you thinking of applying for?

kokodamonkey

HSC
Bonus points defeat the system. because EVERYONE is going to get them.

i mean look at unsw the bonus points getting into courses there... ofcourse if your going to get a uai of 90+ your going to get a band5/6 in maths/english so everyone would get an extra 2points... all it does is artificially lifts their cutoff mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)