Brave new World, Blade runner (1 Viewer)

bestbefore

How is everyone finding these two texts. is everyone finding them completly absurd and hard to understand?
if you can understand them plz tell me how

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
just keep reading and watching... it will eventually click.

Look for common themes like artificial products and mans desire to play god.

loucee

need help with BNW & Blade Runner

hey, i would really appreciate some help with these two texts (BNW & Blade Runner.) i really didnt enjoy them and i dont have many good notes! if you could help with notes you used last year, that would be great!

Horsegal98

English *******
HSC
I quite like Brave New World, but I loathed Bladerunner. Especially as every single essay I write on it, the first time I write the title of the movie down I spell it "Bladderrunner". Sadly I'm quite serious, and I have no idea why. I have images of surgeons with those kidney shaped organ trays running amok with scalpels. I realise and kick myself, but I can't help it. It's probabl a Freudian slip or something. But this isn't critical analysis of texts, so I'd better slap myself for analysing it, anyways....

classics_chic

HSC
at first they're hard to understand but if you're studying them (have you viewed each at least twice? you should have done by now!) you should get a grasp on them. Look especially to the historical context of the situations they were written in (BNW in the 1920's -don't mention WW2 it pisses the teachers off!- and BR in the 1980's) and the concerns of the societies in relation to being human and the environment in which they lived. This is especially important for BNW because it alludes to a lot of things that had been happening.

Two things I found especially important:

*the "worship" of Ford in BNW, and the notion of being created on a production line. What does that say about the importance of humanity? Does living have any value besides the economic?

*"More human than human" (Tyrell). How true is that statement? Does Scott (director) exploit this idea? Does the machine world strip the humanity from the people? Does the work of the Replicants create in them a kind of humanity? (Especially look at the scene where Roy Batty saves -oh damn it, what's his name- the guy played by Harrison Ford's life -whoops, guess it's been awhile)

Good luck!

~Class of 2003~

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
hi..
if any of you have done a test so far on Blade runner and Brave new world, how did you connect your answer to 'how was your understanding of each text developed and reshaped when you compared their texts and contexts'..
any help would be great..
i know all about their contexts, and how to compare the texts.. but i just dont know how to answer that specific part..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)