Brown Foundation? (1 Viewer)

kloudsurfer

HSC
Hey,

Im African, so ive got really dark skin, and im wondering where i can get some foundation. Ive looked and I cant find it anywhere!
Ive never worn it in the past because its impossible to find and I dont wear much makeup anyway, just eyeliner and mascara occasionally. But now Ive decided I want some foundation.

So, where can I find some dark brown foundation (what shops, what brands etc)?

Also a couple of other questions. Like I said, Ive never used foundation before. What is the difference between all the different kinds of foundations? Which should I use?

Thanks in advance

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
best foundations ever:

giorgio armani luminous silk foundation

and

bare escentuals mineral makeup.

both will be about $70 and both come in dark tones.

chanel vitalumiere is good too, about $80 and so is MAC face and body makeup $55, but both these are oil based.

they are the best, and i have tried dozens of different ones, but if you want something cheaper, Almay skin stays clear foundation is about $25 and loreal true blend is about $20 and both are pretty good. not sure about the shades.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
L'Oreal don't do dark skin shades as far as I know (I used to work in a pharmacy that sells L'Oreal) and neither do Almay.

As for which foundation is best, it really depends on your skin type. I have really oily skin, so I have to be careful of oil based foundations, but I get dry around my eyes, so I have to get a balanced foundation.

Maybe even try the Body shop? Wherever you go, ask for help from the consultant, they'll help you choose a shade, but if you're not 100% sure on what they're recommending, say so and they'll help you find another one. If possible, take a sample home with you before you buy it.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
kloudsurfer said:
Hey,

Im African, so ive got really dark skin, and im wondering where i can get some foundation. Ive looked and I cant find it anywhere!
Ive never worn it in the past because its impossible to find and I dont wear much makeup anyway, just eyeliner and mascara occasionally. But now Ive decided I want some foundation.

So, where can I find some dark brown foundation (what shops, what brands etc)?

Also a couple of other questions. Like I said, Ive never used foundation before. What is the difference between all the different kinds of foundations? Which should I use?

Thanks in advance
Avon has foundations which come in dark shades, the prices are good, and so are the products.

I kinda thought you were asian for some reason :eek:

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i dont think avon has very good quality control. i had this makeup that came out all clumpy from the bottle, so i had it replaced and the replacement was the same, so i just got 3 lipsticks instead.

has anyone heard good things about rimmel? that anti-fatigue makeup has me interested, mebbe cos of kate moss...

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
AlleyCat said:
i dont think avon has very good quality control. i had this makeup that came out all clumpy from the bottle, so i had it replaced and the replacement was the same, so i just got 3 lipsticks instead.

has anyone heard good things about rimmel? that anti-fatigue makeup has me interested, mebbe cos of kate moss...
Sorry, i haven't heard about Rimmel's anti-fatigue makeup, but i know that Rimmel's got the best eye-liner ever! I havent personally tried it, but i'm planning to. A friend of mine uses it, and it looks so good. Even the eye makeup removers are good, as far as i hear.

I also really really want to try Lancome's mascara, but they're a bit expensive, and im broke atm :(

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Lancome - Color ID --- they come in many shades! I got one to match my skin tone perfectly! You can find it at most dept. stores - i got mine from a pharmacy for $64...i think its the same price every where though. :)

Last edited:
HSC
this chick at my work uses that maybelline dream matte mousse, she said that's like the only one dark enough to actually match her skin tone

CieL

HSC
I've always heard of the advice that people with a dark dark skin tone should stay away from foundations and just use a bronzer instead..

Not to be slack or anything.. but what's there to cover? It's not like you have white skin and can see the red bumps of pimples, darkness from blackheads, and random colourful shit on your face..

I still reckon a bronzer would be better to highlight aspects of your face instead of just using a foundation to blend everything into one tone.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
yeah use bronzer.. i've got brown skin, and i don't wear make up at all, but if i do bronzer is the way to go =D looks nice on my skin so it'll prob look awesome on you!

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
katietheskatie said:
this chick at my work uses that maybelline dream matte mousse, she said that's like the only one dark enough to actually match her skin tone
they stopped making the dark toned ones

all i know about rimmel is that they make really good mascara and lipgloss

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
ps. you probably have beautiful skin anyway do you really need it?

lexie85

HSC
well whats a good bronzer to use ? are you supposed to use it like powder (all over) or blush (specific areas) ? all the bronzer i see have that glitter/luminating/im not sure what the word is thing where your face ends up looking too shiny

killyridols

HSC
theres a range of makeup for african women made by iman. the website is imanbeauty.com. most places don't stock shades darker than a deep caramel (i know, because i am always the darkest shade!), not sure about MAC

kloudsurfer

HSC
Thanks for the replies guys.

As for those who were asking why id want to wear any foundation, you can still see imperfections on black skin, though it is true that its not as noticable as on white skin.

Anyway, I agree that its not really that necessary, and I dont want to wear it everyday or anything, just occasionally, like when i go out and stuff. I was thinking about it because my yr 12 formal is coming up. I was just going to get a friend of mine who does makeup and stuff to do my makeup, but she doesnt have any foundation in my colour so i have to provide it. But it would be good to have some anyway.
(Just a question, if I go to get my makeup done professionally, will they have foundation in my shade? I remember one of my friends encountered this problem and ended up with this horrible foundation that didnt match her skintone properly...)

I dont think ill go for anything too expensive, since i wont be wearing it much anyway.

I think ill check out some bronzer too. I dont get it though, they only seem to come in a couple of shades! Im guessing it doesnt have to exactly match your skin tone like foundation? (like i said, i know nothing about makeup!!!)

Can anyone recommend a bronzer? And like lexie85 said, do you use it all over or just on specific areas? And wont it turn out shiny?

Thanks

sophie1989

HSC
AlleyCat said:

avon is shit!

CieL

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
I think ill check out some bronzer too. I dont get it though, they only seem to come in a couple of shades! Im guessing it doesnt have to exactly match your skin tone like foundation? (like i said, i know nothing about makeup!!!)

Can anyone recommend a bronzer? And like lexie85 said, do you use it all over or just on specific areas? And wont it turn out shiny?

Thanks
I know nothing either. Nor have I used a bronzer.

But I think it's to highlight aspects of the face.. like cheekbones, I guess you can put some on the bridge of your nose.. and I don't think you use it all over your face.. works similar to a lighter-toned powder foundation I reckon =]

EDIT:
Oh look what I found. A dark skinned woman applying makeup lol.
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-use-highlighter-and-bronzer

Last edited:
HSC
Definitely try MAC, they will help you out with matching your skin tone, as well as trying to work out the best foundation they have for you. They can advise you on what highlighters, bronzers and blushes for you too. (If you're in Sydney, go to the David Jones City counter, they're much nicer there).

if you're willing to wait, MAC will do your make up for formal for $90 (this $90 is redeemable on make up, so you can buy your foundation + bronzer/highlighter/whatever with it!).

kloudsurfer

HSC
thecurtainfalls said:
Definitely try MAC, they will help you out with matching your skin tone, as well as trying to work out the best foundation they have for you. They can advise you on what highlighters, bronzers and blushes for you too. (If you're in Sydney, go to the David Jones City counter, they're much nicer there).

if you're willing to wait, MAC will do your make up for formal for $90 (this $90 is redeemable on make up, so you can buy your foundation + bronzer/highlighter/whatever with it!).
What do you mean? So you pay them $90 and they do your makeup, and then you can use that $90 to buy mac makeup????

So they are basically doing your makeup for free and you buy 90 bucks worth of mac products? Sounds pretty good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)