BSc in 2yrs instead of 3yrs (1 Viewer)

Aldehyde

HSC
Is it possible to do BSc in 2yrs instead of 3yrs?

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
On average you'll be doing 4 subjects per semester.

A Bsc is 3 years with 2 semesters per year, so that's 24 subjects.

Assume you overload 1 subject per semester, in 2 years you'll have done 16 subjects.

If you took 2 more subjects each summer, that takes care of another 4 which brings you to 20.

Getting those last 4 won't be easy...

Aldehyde

HSC
Thanks. Do you know anyone who has done this? If so, how did they (or are they) coping?

Is it a good/bad idea? Is it even possible to condense it into 1 yr?

SJ851

HSC
Thanks. Do you know anyone who has done this? If so, how did they (or are they) coping?

Is it a good/bad idea? Is it even possible to condense it into 1 yr?
You are going to find that once you get to uni (unless you are a total social retard) you wont mind drawing your degree out by a year...

I was the same when i went to uni: "Yeah sure, I will do the accelerated Paramedic degree"

Not a chance now - apart from ADF stuff/other stuff keeping me busy and ASNSW being a S*%^ place to work at the moment, there is the awesome experience of just "being a student".

Take my advice and let it last.

Aldehyde

HSC
SJ851, I appreciate your advice, but I thrive under pressure and intensity. I know it is quite rushed and very intense, but I personally love this type of learning =)

SJ851

HSC
haha okey dokey :)

Good luck with it! I just hope you have a MASSIVE bank balance/aren't moving out of home - it gets rather expensive!

But don't miss out on too many parties/pub crawls/bar nights etc etc to make uni turn into "the TAFE experience"...

spence

HSC
On average you'll be doing 4 subjects per semester.

A Bsc is 3 years with 2 semesters per year, so that's 24 subjects.

Assume you overload 1 subject per semester, in 2 years you'll have done 16 subjects.

If you took 2 more subjects each summer, that takes care of another 4 which brings you to 20.

Getting those last 4 won't be easy...
If you overload 1 subject per semester, you'll do 20 subjects in 2 years. You'll do 16 if you don't overload. So doing 2 each summer would get you the degree in 2 years. Though I really don't see why you'd be in such a rush

Aldehyde

HSC
LOL, I'll try :)

What is the 'tafe experience'?

Aldehyde

HSC
If you overload 1 subject per semester, you'll do 20 subjects in 2 years. You'll do 16 if you don't overload. So doing 2 each summer would get you the degree in 2 years. Though I really don't see why you'd be in such a rush
Thank you for that info. It's not about being in a rush. I really want to do med, so I want a short-cutted degree -> GAMSAT -> med. It'll prepare me for the intensity of med as well.

SJ851

HSC
Turning up to uni just to get "the degree" to get "a job" *shining lights*

Enjoy it, it's a different experience and the people are different to the people you meet in high school etc - encourage debate, try new stuff, join clubs and you will have a wonderful time.

Otherwise you will find yourself doing waaaaayyyy too much work and putting in waaaayyyy too much effort... never a good thing.

What do you plan to do with your BSc?

Aldehyde

HSC
GAMSAT -> med. I love science, and am passionate about it. So if that doesn't flow, I'll do research of some type :)

Domm

HSC
You will probably find that even if you don't overload that uni work is intense enough?

LordPc

HSC
just a note, i have heard of people super overloading, and doing 6 subjects in 1 semester (36 UoC). so you could do that, although to pass you may have to sacrifice your whole life for 2 years

Aldehyde

HSC
If I have to sacrifice social life, then no, its over. But I think I may be able to cope.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
(1) Even if you want to overload like a maniac, you still have to meet prerequisites, etc, so it might not all fit into a 2 year time scale properly.

(2) If you are aiming for med, you need a good GPA. There is no point overloading and finishing in two years with a pass average that wouldn't even get you into honours.

Aldehyde

HSC
(1) Even if you want to overload like a maniac, you still have to meet prerequisites, etc, so it might not all fit into a 2 year time scale properly.

(2) If you are aiming for med, you need a good GPA. There is no point overloading and finishing in two years with a pass average that wouldn't even get you into honours.
True. thanks for advice.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
If you want to be super crazy - you can do a 3 year degree (incl RMIT's Bach of Science in Biotechnology or Bioscience) quite easily with Open Uni's in 1.5 years (depending on the order you do your pre-req's though). How? They have 4 study periods a year. www.open.edu.au

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Aldehyde, it's simple. If the B.Sc was able to be completed within 2 years without massive sacrifice and overloading, then they would have designed it as such.

It's 3 years in length for a reason. University study is far different to that of High School.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)