BSc, major & minor in Psych (1 Viewer)

emma_f

or M
HSC
The requirements for the degree:
  1. A student must complete 144 units of credit including 12 units of General Education.
  2. The degree must contain a Major sequence of study and either a second Major or a Minor sequence.
  3. A student must complete at least 36 units and no more than 60 units in Level I courses from at least three Schools.
  4. A student must complete at least 24 units at Level I from Science Schools (defined as Schools in the Science Faculty plus those in other Faculties that currently provide programs under the authority of the Faculty of Science).
  5. No student may commence Level II courses until 24 Level I units have been successfully completed.
  6. No more than 18 Level 1 units of credit in any one subject are may be counted towards the completion of the degree.
  7. A student must complete a minimum of 84 units of credit from Science Schools (defined as Schools in the Science Faculty plus those in other Faculties that currently provide programs under the authority of the Faculty of Science).
  8. Progression to Stage 4 Honours is subject to academic performance. Students seeking to enrol in Honours are required to have the permission of the Head of School, to have completed all the requirements for Stages 1, 2 and 3 of the BSc and to have satisfied prerequisite requirements as specified. All General Education must also have been completed. Students who have not qualified for the BSc at pass level will not be permitted to enroll in honours.
  9. A Major sequence is defined as: at least 42 units at Level II and III in a single discipline or area of study, including at least 18 units at Level III.
  10. A Minor sequence is defined as: 24 units of credit at Level II or III. The Minor may either consist of courses available within but not taken as part of a Major or may be a sequence as defined in Table B.
  11. Where a student does Majors in two cognate areas that have courses in common they may be permitted to count up to 18 units of credit towards each Major sequence, but only 6 units of credit may be at Level III.
Does #3 mean science schools or just any school [I presume any school, as #4 is specific in its faculty..]?
I've had to choose the BSc as my UAI wasn't sufficient for BPsych, but hope to do as much psychology-and if permissable humanities- related subjects/courses as the degree will allow me. My other option for university didn't allow me, with my crappy UAI, into anything psych-related without doing something heavily non-psych science-based for a year before transferring, and I don't want to be sitting in lectures on microbiology because that was one of the science electives I had to choose.
And is a 'pass' more than 50% [of course I will be trying for more than just scraping through-!] ? The honours year seems to include, to my dismay, electives from areas such as biological sciences and phisiology.
Sorry for my questions, I'm just a tad stressed !
Emma

ps excuse the time of day, I'm overseas [and thus added stress]

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
#3 is for any School.

#4 is referring specifically for the Faculty of Science.

You can do as much as Pyschology Units as you like, but also minor in humanities subjects fromt he Faculty of Arts (or commerce).

When gaining admission to the 4th additional Honours year, the mimimum requirement is not just a "pass", but at least a Credit Average (65+). To be competitive for the supervisor and project of your first choice, you also need to have competitive marks (75+). The higher your mark, the more likely you will get your first choice.

And your marks must include ALL subjects from your non-psyc related subjects, not just those from the School of Psychology. And this goes for everyone, including students from B Psychology.

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Survivor39 said:
#3 is for any School.

#4 is referring specifically for the Faculty of Science.

You can do as much as Pyschology Units as you like, but also minor in humanities subjects fromt he Faculty of Arts (or commerce).

When gaining admission to the 4th additional Honours year, the mimimum requirement is not just a "pass", but at least a Credit Average (65+). To be competitive for the supervisor and project of your first choice, you also need to have competitive marks (75+). The higher your mark, the more likely you will get your first choice.

And your marks must include ALL subjects from your non-psyc related subjects, not just those from the School of Psychology. And this goes for everyone, including students from B Psychology.
Is honours really that competitive? I didn't think so :(

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
:santa:hope it is indeed easy to get into! *Hopes velox is the new dean of science.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Lol. I hope it is, however I think it should be easy so long as you enjoy the area you study in.

Btw survivor, I was told that it's your average over 3rd year science units.

emma_f

or M
HSC
Well I sent in a question about which are the 'Science Schools'
(defined as Schools in the Science Faculty plus those in other Faculties that currently provide programs under the authority of the Faculty of Science)
on this questions page on UNSW science faculty website [they said via email that they wouldnt be 'in' until 2nd jan though, how helpful]. But i dont know why im trying to find such things out, ill be doing the degree in the end I suppose, I just wanted some peace of mind [the releasing of hsc marks has put me on the edge since].

Also just quickly, is it true you can't apply for certain general ed. courses that are within the faculty of your degree ?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
velox said:
Lol. I hope it is, however I think it should be easy so long as you enjoy the area you study in.

Btw survivor, I was told that it's your average over 3rd year science units.
Trust me... no supervisor would want to take a student whose average is in the 50s. The students they teach and the marks that the students get reflect how good they are as a supervisor.

If you have an average of 75 and you are hoping to get accepted under the same supervisor as the guy who got an average of 90, and that supervisor only accepts one student, who do you think will get the offer?

On the other hand, if you have an average of 65 (just made it for Hons requirement) and you are going for a supervisor that only you are interested, then of course, you would get the offer.

It all comes down to supply and demand I suppose. But like I said, if you want to guarantee your *first preference* (note the empahsis), then you better have a good WAM. :) But if you don't care about who or what project is going to be, then I'm sure a WAM of 65 will suffice.

As to your question, some schools only looks at your overall WAM, some schools, like BABS, also take into account your third year BABS subjects in cases where your overall WAM is below 65.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
emma_f said:
Well I sent in a question about which are the 'Science Schools' on this questions page on UNSW science faculty website

The faculty of science website will clearly tell you what schools are in the Science Faculty. Check out www.science.unsw.edu.au

Yes, you can only do a max. of 3 uoc of general education from the Science Faculty. Some Gen eds, like Psychology, restrict you from doing it you have done first year psychology subjects.

Rekkusu

HSC
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/faculties/2007/sci/sci.html

Related schools within the Faculty of science.

Department of Aviation
School of Biological, Earth & Environmental Sciences
School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Science
School of Chemistry
School of Materials Science and Engineering
School of Mathematics and Statistics
School of Optometry and Vision Science
School of Physics
School of Psychology
School of Safety Science

The Academic rules for B. Sci are really confusing I have to agree.

Hey survivor, you know for rule11: Where a student does Majors in two cognate areas that have courses in common they may be permitted to count up to 18 units of credit towards each Major sequence, but only 6 units of credit may be at Level III.

Since my 2 majors are likely to be Med Immuno & micro, and genetics, how does the "18 UOC" count towards my major sequences, cos I'm following the courses stated in the Science major plans.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
What rule 11 meant was that if there are subjects that can be counted towards both of your major, then only 18 uoc of these subjects can be counted for both major, and only 6 uoc of that 18 uoc can be a level 3 subject.

e.g. BIOC2101, BIOC2201, MICR2011 can all be counted towards your two majors. So if you do all three, that's 18 UOC already. So in third year you cannot do a subject and use that subject to count for both major. You can only use it to count for 1 major.

I know it's strange. But does it make sense?

Affinity

HSC
Rekkusu said:
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/faculties/2007/sci/sci.html

Related schools within the Faculty of science.

Department of Aviation
School of Biological, Earth & Environmental Sciences
School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Science
School of Chemistry
School of Materials Science and Engineering
School of Mathematics and Statistics
School of Optometry and Vision Science
School of Physics
School of Psychology
School of Safety Science

The Academic rules for B. Sci are really confusing I have to agree.

Hey survivor, you know for rule11: Where a student does Majors in two cognate areas that have courses in common they may be permitted to count up to 18 units of credit towards each Major sequence, but only 6 units of credit may be at Level III.

Since my 2 majors are likely to be Med Immuno & micro, and genetics, how does the "18 UOC" count towards my major sequences, cos I'm following the courses stated in the Science major plans.
I think philosophy also counts as science. Ask someone in charge though

emma_f

or M
HSC

Rekkusu

HSC
Your welcome!! It actually raised some questions from me as well.

Actually in regards to your question though, iif you're referring to rule #4 it may be better to find out what you plan to major or minor in within B Sci, there should be a table for the B Sci (Program 3970) full of majors/minors you can take. Once you've planned it out, then discuss with the science student centre by phone how #4 affects your degree.

Also, no unfortunately the School of Philsophy is not under our Faculty of science, rather its under Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences.
If anyone isn't sure if the school their course is in, is within the science fac, check out the school's website, it should state which faculty it is from.

@Survivor: Ah Okay I kind of get it now...so if I do a 2 majors, and i can have max - a total of 18 UOC in common courses (level 2) AND if I do level 3 courses, I can only have a total of 6 UOC.

So basically right now, I already have a 18 UOC in common courses between my 2 majors in level 2, and in level 3 I plan to do Microbial Genetics which is also common in Genetics major....which means I should be following this rule right?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think they meant 18 UOC in total can be common. But only 6 UOC of that 18 UOC can be at Level III. That is, either have all 18 OUC common in Level II or 12 UOC in Level II and 6 UOC in Level III.

So if you do Microbial Genetics, it can only be counted as one of your major, not both.

Rekkusu

HSC
Ah Okay! Got it!! What utter confusion with their technical jargon!
Out of curiousity, what's your second major/minor? :santa:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
We don't have to have 2 majors. We just have to have 1 major. Basically 3 MICR3XXX subjects = My Major

emma_f

or M
HSC
One sees. Really in short, i just want to know if I can do all psych. psych psych psych. But I guess thats what the Bpsych is for. So alas, I may have to do something I really don't want to do for a year until its possible to transfer, like chemistry.. [no offence meant to chem-enthusiasts]

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
emma_f said:
One sees. Really in short, i just want to know if I can do all psych. psych psych psych. But I guess thats what the Bpsych is for. So alas, I may have to do something I really don't want to do for a year until its possible to transfer, like chemistry.. [no offence meant to chem-enthusiasts]
There aren't enough units in psyc for you to do just psych psych psych. You have to do other units from other schools, even in a bpsych

Rekkusu

HSC
B Psych and B Sci (majoring in Psyc) are actually 2 different fields. In B Psych that's where you graduate as a Psychiatrist, whereas with B Sci (Psyc), you'll be researching in Psychology-related fields.

You can of course Major in Psych, however with this Major sequence, you'll still have some spaces left in your semester, after doing about 1-2 semesters at UNSW + alot of reading of B Sci degree, you'll be familiar with the Academic rules.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)