Budget 2014 (1 Viewer)

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
There are so many homeless people who can't afford food how can they afford a GP tax. The GP tax hits poor people very hard. Tony Abbott should swallow his pride and go back to the drawing board and stop his class warfare against the poor.

Did you not forget the 10 visit cap for low-income households? If you're in australia, you can afford food and afford to a roof under your head. There are so many government support programs for the homeless there's practically no excuse. GP tax doesnt hit shit.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Ignorance is quite bliss..

Also there comes a slippery slope IMO once policy like this gets brought in.
mfw australians pay $20 for a pack of ciggies yet bitch and moan about $7 for going to the doctor.

I also blame employer's red tape of asking for a med cert everytime you're taking a sick day. ffs most sickness' can be cured at home with some rest, hot tea and ibuprofin.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
There are so many homeless people who can't afford food how can they afford a GP tax. The GP tax hits poor people very hard. Tony Abbott should swallow his pride and go back to the drawing board and stop his class warfare against the poor.
If you're homeless, would you still have a medicare card? Legit question. I assume no, so wouldn't trips to GP's already cost homeless people a hell of a lot?

Also, the co-payment was supposed to fund some medical research program. What happens to the program now that it's lost its source of money, does it get shut down?

And yes isildurrrr1 raised a good point, there are a heap of support programs for the homeless (not just run by the government) that help to provide food for them.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Not sure if Joe Hockey or just taking the piss.. Regardless it's an insensitive generalisation.
Do australians not pay 20 dollars for a packet of cigarettes? Do we not pay 3 dollars for a cup of coffee?

How many times do you honestly visit the GP a year? 5 times? that's 35 dollars a year. not exactly breaking the bank.

Amundies: You're still entitlted to medicare if you are a citizen/PR who live in australia as a regular resident. So yes the homeless will have medicare.

Smooth Operator

HSC
Do australians not pay 20 dollars for a packet of cigarettes? Do we not pay 3 dollars for a cup of coffee?

How many times do you honestly visit the GP a year? 5 times? that's 35 dollars a year. not exactly breaking the bank.
Not the point I was trying to make but okay.. Obviously there are going to be inherent differences in our opinions due to our different outlook upon social issues. Personally, I think universal free healthcare as a way of allowing for greater equality is one of many viable avenues. All I was trying to point out is that your view doesn't seem to take in to account the 'other side of the fence' which lacks empathy and understanding in my opinion.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Not the point I was trying to make but okay.. Obviously there are going to be inherent differences in our opinions due to our different outlook upon social issues. Personally, I think universal free healthcare as a way of allowing for greater equality is one of many viable avenues. All I was trying to point out is that your view doesn't seem to take in to account the 'other side of the fence' which lacks empathy and understanding in my opinion.
They've already accounted for the poor and underclass. If you qualify for centrelink medical concession cards, the payment is capped at 10 payments for year. That's 70 dollars total per year for someone whose a centrelink recipient or designated low income earner.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The federal government's plan to charge patients a compulsory $7 fee to see a doctor is dead, Prime Minister Tony Abbott has announced.

In a press conference in Canberra on Tuesday afternoon, Mr Abbott conceded the unpopular proposal - first detailed in the May budget - did not have the support to pass the Senate.

Instead the government has left doctors with the option of charging a $5 "discretionary" fee for adults who are non-concession card holders.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-proposed-7-gp-copayment-20141209-123f1x.html

jdennis

HSC
The fact that pensioners, children etc. will now be exempt is good, however a policy that increases the cost of visiting a doctor by definition disadvantages the sick.

I also question the need for the policy at all. The Government claims the cost of Medicare is too high, yet directs the savings made by introducing the co-payment into a medical research fund, meaning no saving is made on the Medicare budget.

So while in my view this change is for the better, I still think the whole idea of a co-payment is unnecessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)