Bullsh!t your Resume (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
well at the moment some of the stuff on my resume are NOT exactly true or are exagurated to some extent.
eg for for the period i worked on my last 2 jobs i made it longer by a year or so.
i said i done tasks at my previous job that i havent really done. and i even made up a job i worked at.

how safe am i on not getting caught with these lies.?
i did this just to make me more experienced and have a greater chance of getting a job.

have wrote in yuor resume sometihng abit untrue?

shArkEe

i guess its alright to BS a bit in your resume, like sayiing you worked longer than you did, and saying you did stuff that you really didn't do, but i think making up a job is a bit risky, so placees actually call up and see if its real, the onli stuff i BS about in my resume, is skool awards and how long i worked for

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
yeah places like coles myer check resume information..

shArkEe

yeah i know for a fact david jones checks resumes too, but if you go to a normal store just make up the shop and put your home numba, and tell your parents if someone calls that its a work form home kinda company, lolz

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
hmmm..but i still think honesty is the best policy

shArkEe

yeah honesty is good, but like for me, my dad actually does work from home, so in my resume i put his company down and yeah, i technically did work for him for a year

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Most companies check at least one of your refs, and they'll pick one from an old job (rather than a character reference), and some even go and look up the previous employer in the yellow pages and call them and ask to speak to someone different to the one you put on your resume (this happens in retail because more than just the manager works with you).

Bullshitting in resumes is going to happen, I havent ever written a completely honest one. Most are little white lies like doing things I did do (I once put down that i was 2IC over christmas when I was 16, but I wasnt, but I could do the same things as the actual 2IC). I wouldnt make up a job... thats a bit extreme. Having one extra job isnt going to make that much of a difference, unless its completely different from your other actual jobs, and then they will more than likely ring that 'employer' over the real ones...

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i just embelish the truth.

e.g. i put my RSA and RCG as a Partial Completation of a Certificate II in Hospitality (operations), which while true....makes it sound more impressive

saying i have experience closing the store, wen all i did was pull down a security door...etc

Jessie moo moo

HSC
I have told a few lies on my resume, just make sure you cover your tracks. For example If you make up a job, find someone who will pretend to be a referee. I am not saying it's okay to lie on your resume, but sometimes it you have never worked before etc, it's hard to get a foot in the door. White lies i think are okay, Just don't go too overboard because if you do get the job you usually have to have some idea as to what to do lol :p

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
i used to never lie in my resume... but after seeing nearly 99% of my friends bullshit in their resumes whilst appliing for positions with the Big 4 accounting companies last year.. i have come to my senses and now too am bullshitting 20% of my resume to beef it up !!!

bcoz if you dont man, you have no chance, when everyone else bullshits..

thats life..

G

Gavvvvvin

choco said:
yeah places like coles myer check resume information..
Ha. I applied for Coles, and put down two genuine referees. However, they said they could not contact them because their phone numbers had changed and they would not process my application any further. So out of desperation I just made up a referee using my uni email and said it was some professor, and my application somehow got through :)

Seriously you may as well lie. I'm not saying its right, but if you don't some other sucker will.

LOL at security door guy.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
I'd like to see them check whether or not you've worked at a place (which isn't widely known like coles, myer etc.) which has closed down.

Seriously, wording makes all the difference. I mean some places even make you sign something which says that the stuff you've put on your application is "not misleading" but really who pays attention to that sort of thing? Just say something which is technically true but makes you sound much more impressive than you actually are.

saying i have experience closing the store, wen all i did was pull down a security door...etc
Haha...classic.

I wouldnt make up a job... thats a bit extreme.
I agree but if someone hasn't had a job before (or has only had one) then making some up is a fairly good idea.

I am not saying it's okay to lie on your resume, but sometimes it you have never worked before etc, it's hard to get a foot in the door.
Not hard, more like impossible unless you have connections.

So out of desperation I just made up a referee using my uni email and said it was some professor, and my application somehow got through
Gavin, wouldn't it be a bit suss if a professor has an e-mail ending with something like '[at]ugrad.someuni.edu[dot]au?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Anonymou5 said:
Gavin, wouldn't it be a bit suss if a professor has an e-mail ending with something like '[at]ugrad.someuni.edu[dot]au?

no. most educational institutions (and businesses) and their own domain and the employee's have email addresses similar to your example.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
If you're applying for Coles, Woolworths etc. then maybe you'd be in a bit of strife. But for many other places, unless you're completely devoid of any intelligence you'll be fine.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i bullshitted about how long i worked at my previous job because i couldn't remember and i didnt want to ring up and ask them. so i just picked a couple of random dates. but i wouldn't do anything worse than that, i'm too paranoid.

JoeI

HSC
when it comes down to bullshitting, it is an art, dont we agree?

an art should be well drawn. so does bullshitting should be well bullshitted with lots of backup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)