• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bus.&Com. - Accounting Corner! (1 Viewer)

TypeR

HSC
Heyz,

How are all the Accountants doin? This is mainly for the people doing Accounting Key Program @ Parramatta campus, but students from other campuses are allowed in.

This is our corner, where we chill out, share stuff, help each other out with assignments (or in other words, you guys help me out) and get to know one another.

I contacted the unit coordinator for BAS to ask if Lecs, Workshops and Pracs are compulsory and i recieved this response.

Dear Mustafa,

Yes that is correct there are only three lectures in BAS, however these are COMPULSORY to attend. In addition there are 6 COMPULSORY workshops to attend. These are every second week, please check platform web for details. The prac sessions are not compulsory and you will be given more information about these in your lectures.

Please contact BAS@uws.edu.au for general enquiries.

Regards
Beverley
BAS Admin

Did you guys do ur timetables yet? I did mine and hopefully ill only have to go 2 days a week (Tuesdays and Wednesdays)..since BAS pracs are not compulsory and lectures are for 3 weeks only.

kagura

HSC
To be quite honest, I'm really dreading the accounting units - I just know it's going to be boring. :)

Boxes

Banned
HSC
Heyz,

How are all the Accountants doin? This is mainly for the people doing Accounting Key Program @ Parramatta campus, but students from other campuses are allowed in.

This is our corner, where we chill out, share stuff, help each other out with assignments (or in other words, you guys help me out) and get to know one another.

I contacted the unit coordinator for BAS to ask if Lecs, Workshops and Pracs are compulsory and i recieved this response.

Did you guys do ur timetables yet? I did mine and hopefully ill only have to go 2 days a week (Tuesdays and Wednesdays)..since BAS pracs are not compulsory and lectures are for 3 weeks only.
how exactly do we make our timetable?

trickx

HSC
How many UWS accounting graduates do you rekon get into one of the Big 4?

VU-Nit

HSC
To be quite honest, I'm really dreading the accounting units - I just know it's going to be boring. :)
yeah same... first years gonna be fun like outside uni hanging out n stuff
but the works gonna be shit
i heard that a lot of the stuff we do has some business n eco stuff from hsc
since i did both... its gonna be a boring yr lol

kagura

HSC
yeah same... first years gonna be fun like outside uni hanging out n stuff
but the works gonna be shit
i heard that a lot of the stuff we do has some business n eco stuff from hsc
since i did both... its gonna be a boring yr lol
Same, though I hated business and enjoyed economics! I just hope the accounting side of things isn't excruciatingly bad. Oh please... :)

beefnoodle

HSC
anyone here doing or planning to do a double degree or major?
e.g applied finance/accounting?, economics/accounting, economics/applied finance
it takes 4 years yeh?
is it possible to do 2 majors instead of 1 KP and 1 major?

i want to major finance/accounting

Last edited:

kagura

HSC
^You can have a key program in accounting and a major in finance; the accounting KP is equivalent to a major anyway (total: 3 years).

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
Hey new students, just here to clear up some of your minds, false assumptions and spare you the shock when you get to graduate.

- Accounting isn't as in demand as everyone makes it out to be. Sure, senior accountants are demanded (but that's if you have the 10+ years of experience + CPA/CA accredited) New Graduate accountants are finding it incredibly hard to get their foot in the door, competing against the thousands of other business/commerce accounting students in other universities.

- If you're doing accounting because you love math. Well, there's practically no math at all in accounting. There's about 2 core subjects that actually involve any real math. Everything else is 1+1, and hardcore memorising textbooks. If you're looking for a math-based degree, do something finance related.

- If you're doing accounting for the money, don't expect an instant high salary. The average graduate salary ranges from $30,000-$55,000. The high salary comes in after years of experience, and doing a CA/CPA or even post-grad. So ask yourself if you can imagine being an accountant for the next 30+ years. If you just want good hard money, go do engineering, medicine or law.

- UWS prospects in the Big 4 isn't particular high either, compared to those of UTS, UNSW, USYD, MAQ. So if you get the chance to transfer, do it!!! I'm not saying its not possible to go into the Big 4 being a UWS graduate, but its competitive.

- The UWS degree workload gets more tedious towards 3rd year. If you're someone that lacks motivation, procrastinates a lot, then I stongly encourage you to change key programs to something like marketing.

Sorry, if I discouraged any of you, but it's something you'll find out anyway along the road. And it's probably better you find out now, then realise you've lost 3 years of your life, like I did.

beefnoodle

HSC
Hey new students, just here to clear up some of your minds, false assumptions and spare you the shock when you get to graduate.

- Accounting isn't as in demand as everyone makes it out to be. Sure, senior accountants are demanded (but that's if you have the 10+ years of experience + CPA/CA accredited) New Graduate accountants are finding it incredibly hard to get their foot in the door, competing against the thousands of other business/commerce accounting students in other universities.

- If you're doing accounting because you love math. Well, there's practically no math at all in accounting. There's about 2 core subjects that actually involve any real math. Everything else is 1+1, and hardcore memorising textbooks. If you're looking for a math-based degree, do something finance related.

- If you're doing accounting for the money, don't expect an instant high salary. The average graduate salary ranges from $30,000-$55,000. The high salary comes in after years of experience, and doing a CA/CPA or even post-grad. So ask yourself if you can imagine being an accountant for the next 30+ years. If you just want good hard money, go do engineering, medicine or law.

- UWS prospects in the Big 4 isn't particular high either, compared to those of UTS, UNSW, USYD, MAQ. So if you get the chance to transfer, do it!!! I'm not saying its not possible to go into the Big 4 being a UWS graduate, but its competitive.

- The UWS degree workload gets more tedious towards 3rd year. If you're someone that lacks motivation, procrastinates a lot, then I stongly encourage you to change key programs to something like marketing.

Sorry, if I discouraged any of you, but it's something you'll find out anyway along the road. And it's probably better you find out now, then realise you've lost 3 years of your life, like I did.
im planning to do KP-Applied Finance and Major-Accounting, whats your advice? is it worth it?

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
Depends on your intentions. If you're doing it for the money (like the majority of accounting students), you're likely to be disappointed. There are better options degree-wise for money.

Finance has a lot more statistical analysis and is math based. You should be pretty good at it if you did 3U/4U Math. If you didn't, then a lot of hard work will also pay off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)