Business/Commerce Majors (1 Viewer)

dude01

HSC
I still don't know what double major to do. I'm doing marketing for sure, but I'm unsure of the other one. I've narrowed it down to either:
1) Management
2) Human resource management
3) International business
4) Economics
5) E-business

Please don't suggest any maths based/hard majors LOL.

So which one complements marketing the most? I like HR, but I don't think it's really related...

Last edited:

phrred

HSC
is there anyway u can do psychology?
out of those id choose economics

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
e-biz, a lot of marketing is done online these days. Good combo.

my 2 beans.

overfloat

HSC
Ibus is is interesting, but as i've said before, it is not very useful in a work place. It is mostly focused on international strategic issues, which, by the time you get high enough in a corporate ladder to actually implement, will be completely out of date. (from a UNSW perspective anyway)

soooo, out of those, -> economics, it'll have more maths than Ibus (which has none), but it will probably give you the same info, and an actually useful skillset

dude01

HSC
Thanks for the ideas...
I'm really leaning towards economics ATM, as I'm doing microeconomics now and finding it interesting and not too hard (it's still harder than management though).

What are the pro's of a major in management? Everyone says that management is bullshit and won't help me much. However, the subjects seem the easiest and I should be able to get good marks lol.

AND I just wanna say this, why do I have to do accounting subjects in first year when I'm not planning on going near that shit ever again!? Fucken hate accounting (I'm just pissed coz I'm failing it, haha).

dude01

HSC
ok so i just looked on my uni website and discovered there are more majors than I thought...

There is a major in psych, tourism management and also operations management which looks interesting. I'll probably make a last-minute decision, which is how I ended up in a business degree in the first place!

overfloat

HSC
dude01 said:
AND I just wanna say this, why do I have to do accounting subjects in first year when I'm not planning on going near that shit ever again!? Fucken hate accounting
haha join the club! they made me do acct 1a/1b when i did infosys!
it was a bachelor of science! not even a commerce degree.....

bastards......

turtleface

HSC
You should feel privileged to have been given the opportunity to do accounting

overfloat

HSC
turtleface said:
You should feel privileged to have been given the opportunity to do accounting
i do..... how else would i have found out that i hate it so much?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Everyone should have the core Accounting knowledge. It comes in handy in most (office type) jobs you will go into.

dude01

HSC
I really can't stand accounting. I've been to 3 lectures this semester and sleep in my tutes. It's just too boring! It's gonna look stupid on my record because I'm doing pretty good in my other subjects, but then I'm FAILING accounting. Stupid accounting...

overfloat

HSC
dude01 said:
I really can't stand accounting. I've been to 3 lectures this semester and sleep in my tutes. It's just too boring! It's gonna look stupid on my record because I'm doing pretty good in my other subjects, but then I'm FAILING accounting. Stupid accounting...
HIGH FIVE!:wave:

turtleface

HSC
Maybe people hate Accounting because its so poorly taught/the content in first year just sucks dick.

It always puzzles me cause people seem to like Finance and Law, and accountings pretty much a mix of those two (beyond 1st year I mean).

Oh well...I guess they'll address the problem when theres so little Accountants in the country that audits and liquidations become the domain of dudes who've done a 2 week tafe course

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
From 2nd year onward, economics is VERY heavy on the maths though and didn't you say you wanted to avoid that?

There is a definite jump in the maths from 1st yr economics and 2nd year economics. I'm doing 2nd yr micro now and there is some conceptual content but most of the HW I do from week to week is basically maths. Blagh,

Last edited:

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
accounting knowledge is very important. no matter where u want to go into....

u may hate accounting... (i admit, i hated it coz it was sOOOO boring to me last yr) .. but straight away at the end of last yr when i started working as a vac ... i never expected the accounting knowledge i learnt in 2nd semester would help me so much with the work that i did

even today when i work it still helps me and im really grateful to have learnt basic accounting

i still wouldnt dare to major in it though :p i like my actuarial hehe

HSC
overfloat said:
Ibus is is interesting, but as i've said before, it is not very useful in a work place. It is mostly focused on international strategic issues, which, by the time you get high enough in a corporate ladder to actually implement, will be completely out of date. (from a UNSW perspective anyway)

soooo, out of those, -> economics, it'll have more maths than Ibus (which has none), but it will probably give you the same info, and an actually useful skillset
hey my degree is Bachelor of international business at MACQ, extremely interesting and very very management based. I absolutely love it and would couple with marketing for sure.

overfloat

HSC
little-rat-boi said:
hey my degree is Bachelor of international business at MACQ, extremely interesting and very very management based. I absolutely love it and would couple with marketing for sure.
i do it too, and i love it, but quite frankly it is useless

dude01

HSC
From 2nd year onward, economics is VERY heavy on the maths though and didn't you say you wanted to avoid that?

There is a definite jump in the maths from 1st yr economics and 2nd year economics. I'm doing 2nd yr micro now and there is some conceptual content but most of the HW I do from week to week is basically maths. Blagh,
Serious? Fuck! That rules out economics then, anything with maths I refuse to do.

Yeh ibus does sound very interesting, but at the same time useless in getting a job, which puts me off...

I need something that is interesting and useful in getting a job, but isn't maths based! Dammit... I think I'm just gonna do HR even though it doesn't really complement marketing. It's the only major which is interesting, not maths based and is actually useful in a job.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
me thinks you are going to have a tough time avoiding maths if you want a decent job in the business world. accounting is pretty dry stuff but the maths in it is no where near what you need in finance or economics.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah, there's a difference between dealing with numbers and dealing with actual maths. Accounting is heavy on numbers (well, financial acct anyway) but there is hardly any maths or difficult formulas, it's just adding and subtracting really. Unlike, econometrics, economics, finance etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)