Business Finance (1 Viewer)

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:
Really? You think you went that bad:(? I mean there was some hard questions but I thought there were plenty of easy marks:). I wonder how Cyph went;).

Anyway, I have an exam tomorrow but I am so angry about that big question. I have even gone to the trouble of doing the question again at home and I think I know how to do it. I will post my answer after my exam tomorrow because I should be studying now:p.
Maybe, if i can marks for writing my name on each page, I might pass!!!! :)

24 pages= 24 marks

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
SoCal said:
Really? You think you went that bad:(? I mean there was some hard questions but I thought there were plenty of easy marks:). I wonder how Cyph went;).

Anyway, I have an exam tomorrow but I am so angry about that big question. I have even gone to the trouble of doing the question again at home and I think I know how to do it. I will post my answer after my exam tomorrow because I should be studying now:p.
Ask me when I sit the exam next semester ;)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
How did you do an 'i' instead of a 's'? They're not even near each other.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
jumb said:
How did you do an 'i' instead of a 's'? They're not even near each other.
I really don't know. I will just say I am tired and use that as an excuse:p.

baker182

HSC
I just throught about the Business Finance exam, I should pass :p
Just means I will fail my accounting subjects, oh well, at least they are not apart of core degree subjects :p

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
baker182 said:
I just throught about the Business Finance exam, I should pass :p
Thought so:).

baker182 said:
Just means I will fail my accounting subjects, oh well, at least they are not apart of core degree subjects :p
Why do you think you will fail those courses:)?

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:
Thought so:).

Why do you think you will fail those courses:)?
I think I will fail accounting, because i went shit in the exam.

I know why finance people hate accountants :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
baker182 said:
I think I will fail accounting, because i went shit in the exam.
People always say they think they will fail an exam though and they usually pass. People just think negatively after exams:p.

baker182 said:
I know why finance people hate accountants :)
Haha, Niel is funny when he has a go at Accounting. I think anyone who has done Accounting would hate it, not just Financial people. Niel has said that Finance jobs have to deal with Accounting a fair bit so sometimes I think I should have done it but then I think of how boring it is:p.

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:
People always say they think they will fail an exam though and they usually pass. People just think negatively after exams:p.

Haha, Niel is funny when he has a go at Accounting. I think anyone who has done Accounting would hate it, not just Financial people. Niel has said that Finance jobs have to deal with Accounting a fair bit so sometimes I think I should have done it but then I think of how boring it is:p.

mmmmmm, maybe I should get better marks in accounting. :)

But anyway champ, don't worry, you dont need to know a lot of accounting for finance jobs. The stuff which you learn in 2nd and 3rd year accounting, you wont use in finance jobs. For example, if you were deciding to invest in a company, you wont need to know about how they apply their costs to products :rolleyes:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Yeah but he said that you need to look at a company's financial reports and know how they have played around with the figures, etc:(.

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:
Yeah but he said that you need to look at a company's financial reports and know how they have played around with the figures, etc:(.
I think you find that is stuff covered in Financial Management, ACFI 1020 :)

Subjects in 2nd and 3th year are all about creating financial statements and laws regarding them.

What are of finance do you want to go into?

While an accounting background is good for finance jobs, I wont say your disadvantage, if you dont have one in terms of getting your first job. But if you want to further your career, an accounting background would be good. But to slove that problem, just do the CPA courses (post-grad).

Check out www.seek.com.au
Have a look under banking/finance jobs, you wont see any accounting shit there :) If anything you need to be able to work within a team and have great people skills. Also some drinking skills may become useful. :rolleyes:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
baker182 said:
I think you find that is stuff covered in Financial Management, ACFI 1020 :)
Yeah, I hope that is all that I will need:).

baker182 said:
What are of finance do you want to go into?
I know this is bad but I really haven't given it much thought:rolleyes:. Probably something along the lines of dealing in securities or funds and portfolio management in an international context:).

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Do you boys reckon Neil has a well diversified portfolio? :rolleyes: Haha, I love how the whole theory for diversifying a portfolio was based on the fact that you couldn't make a negative return... you can't make a negative return on betting either, does this mean you can you place well diversified bets?

Wait until you do Corporate decision making, or 2080 and you learn about EMH (Efficient Market Hypothesis)... it's the biggest load of fucking bullshit theory I've ever heard... it's so broad that they listed three types of EMH - 1. The market reacts instantaneously to any news that affects the company and arbitrage isn't possible. 2 - the market semi-reacts, will react eventually but not immediately.. some opportunities for arbitrage may occur 3 - the market doesn't seem to react at all... opportunity for arbitrage.

That's the gist of it anyway.. what the fuck is that shit? I actually had Steve Easton, the UNCLE dude who's a co-author of the textbook and we argued via email over EMH, haha. I think you can throw EMH out the window personally, intrisnic growth just doesn't happen that quickly... it takes years.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
SoCal said:
I think the biggest thing as a finance person is being able to read all the financial statements as more than just numbers....

The statements do two broad things -

1. describe the performance of a business over a period of time - statements with 'for the period ending xx', so cash flow statements, P&L statements, etc.

2- desribe the position of a business at one point in time - statements with 'as at xx', so balance sheets, etc.

There's far more to a good business than having a huge profit in the P&L statement.. you always need at least two statements to be able to analyse a business, looking at one statement is nothing more than just numbers... Ratios such as ROE, ROA, debt to equity ratio, etc. and being able to forecast a business is pretty handy as well.

Check out this Excel spreadsheet file for a valuation on a company :p

Last edited:

baker182

HSC
Cyph said:
Do you boys reckon Neil has a well diversified portfolio? :rolleyes: Haha, I love how the whole theory for diversifying a portfolio was based on the fact that you couldn't make a negative return... you can't make a negative return on betting either, does this mean you can you place well diversified bets?

Wait until you do Corporate decision making, or 2080 and you learn about EMH (Efficient Market Hypothesis)... it's the biggest load of fucking bullshit theory I've ever heard... it's so broad that they listed three types of EMH - 1. The market reacts instantaneously to any news that affects the company and arbitrage isn't possible. 2 - the market semi-reacts, will react eventually but not immediately.. some opportunities for arbitrage may occur 3 - the market doesn't seem to react at all... opportunity for arbitrage.

That's the gist of it anyway.. what the fuck is that shit? I actually had Steve Easton, the UNCLE dude who's a co-author of the textbook and we argued via email over EMH, haha. I think you can throw EMH out the window personally, intrisnic growth just doesn't happen that quickly... it takes years.
mmmmmmm, I dont what to say, its all dutch to me :rolleyes:

Neil should have a well diversified portfolio or he is fucked :)
For betting, I had a thing going with the nrl/afl and cricket. You place $50 on the games, where like 1st place plays last place and use the multi-bet option. After making $200, you take your starting capital of $50, so if a team looses, you dont really lose anything :)
As a result of this theory, I made a profit of $5,000.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)