Hey
Well i am doing

Adv English
Modern History
Physics
ext 1 maths
Business
Legal Studies

and have decided i need to drop either Business or Legal to get back to 11 units, as i havent got the time to do 13 units. It has come down to either one of them as i need physics and ext 1 maths for engineering and MH is my best and most favoured subject.
At the moment my marks in last term's assessment's were both 86%. I was ranked 1st in Law and 6th in Business, but the percentage difference is minor for the ranks. I have talked with my careers advisor and he was unsure on what one to drop, all he said is that he was leaning towards keeping Business due to the teachers reputation of taking students to the highest possible level they could get. I also talked to numerous other people with mixed results. I talked to another teacher from another school that i knew personally and was advised on dropping Business as she said she had seen numerous students get a 89 in Business and then get clear into the 90s for law. My law and business teachers have just said they cant decide for me. I have been pondering for ages trying to decided which one to drop.
So could anyone tell me there thoughts on which one, or there own experiences with which one was better?
Thanks a lot

55746187max

HSC
well, firstly

its a cliche, but ultimately the choice will be up to you, so eventually ul have to go with wat subject most appeals to u

personally in your position, id drop business, simply because your ranking is better. If the percentage difference is small, go with whatever subject u enjoy more

cmon, u hav to like one subject over the other

wahya

HSC
Thanks. Yeah i have been told it will be a personal opinion on what one to choose, its just a really hard decision.
Anyway, thanks again.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
drop wateva 1 u liek least!!!!!!!!!

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
i like business, but i wish i did legal.
because i want to study law.

but in answer to your question, i concur with everyone above.

MTP

HSC
They are both easy for me. But i would rather drop Legal, as it is boring in the first year.

bassistx

HSC
Drop Business Studies.
That's all I have to say :)

edit: Okay, I should give a legit reason lol.
Drop because it is the HSC subject with the most content i.e. hardest because there is a lot to remember...

setmatchrun

Banned
HSC
hahahah you think business stuides is the hardest HSC subject? Try one of the easiest.

fucking lol.

*BIRDIE*

RAWR!!!
HSC
i hated business but bias aside in my opinion you need to pick the subject that isnt going to stress you to much and you enjoy enough to continue to do the work in. theres no point being stuck with a subject that you hate, trust me it aint worth it!! and if you thinking career wise which is more important- DONT! you can always go to tafe or uni or something that will give you those qualifications. and most importantly DONT STRESS, at least not yet. its only the beginning of the yr!!

bassistx

HSC
setmatchrun said:
hahahah you think business stuides is the hardest HSC subject? Try one of the easiest.

fucking lol.
What I said came from HSC markers. I think they know what they're talking about. It's hard because there's a lot to remember. Not hard to learn, though. I clearly said there was a lot to remember. I didn't mention anything about learning.

setmatchrun

Banned
HSC
Drop because it is the HSC subject with the most content i.e. hardest
You said it is the hardest HSC subject because it has the most content. I never mentioned learning it, business studies is one of the easiest HSC subjects compared to chemistry for example, or if you really want to be proven wrong, 4u maths.

*BIRDIE*

RAWR!!!
HSC
bassistx is right there is alot to remember. thats y so many of my yr dropped it for something that they would enjoy more. dont drop something cos its hard, drop it cos you dont enjoy it!

bassistx

HSC
bassistx said:
Drop Business Studies.
That's all I have to say :)

edit: Okay, I should give a legit reason lol.
Drop because it is the HSC subject with the most content i.e. hardest because there is a lot to remember...
Do not misquote me, smart boy.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
some questions you should ask yourself:

which subject do i enjoy the most?

which one am i doing better in?

which subject am i more confident in?

which subject better relates to/will aid me with my career aspirations?

which subject do i find easier?

whichever subject is the most frequently answered, thats the one you should keep.

bassistx

HSC
Without Wings said:
source? i.e do you have a link to markers comment (or similar report) where they clearly state business studies is the hardest subject...

There is no 'hardest subject' as individuals have different learning styles and abilities thus find subjects to be different. It is all individual opinion...
Source = in person. Various HSC markers (who've been marking for years) said this to huge groups of us. It's not official. But it's "rough" - seeing as they also grade other subjects and they agree B.S. is the hardest.

For the second time, I did not mention anything about learning. You can teach yourself. The remembering is the hard part.

aMUSEd1977 said:
False.

Legal studies has a lot more. Mathematics, English (because of the need for multiple texts, with extreme detail of each), Chemistry.

Most of the subjects have a similar amount of work. You are kidding yourself if you think Business has the most to remember.
Two girls in our business studies class also do legal studies. I don't know of any others but they definitely agree that business studies has more content. Remember, I am basing this on "experiences", rather than statistics, facts, etc.

I did maths. 2U and then general. Nope, no way near as much content as business. I dropped maths so I could dedicate more time to business - that's how much work we had. Mind you, I was doing Advanced Maths in my junior years - nah, it was easy to remember formulas etc!

Engilsh... Well, I do English lol. I did Advanced and yet again, dropped because a) Didn't like studying Shakespeare.. It should be enjoyed, not analyzed and b) Too much work to keep up with because of other subjects (BUSINESS!).

English is pretty good when it comes to content. There isn't much you do in class. Your own texts, your own time. So it's really up to you how much content there is.

For Business Studies, you need 2 or 3 case studies. So imagine English plus 42892735 trees worth of content. Yeah, that's business.

However... I don't do chemistry and I don't know of any chem students who also take business (good move!). I haven't done any senior sciences, but back in my junior years, I found it quite easy compared to biology and physics. I enjoyed physics the most, but chemistry was pretty straightforward. Biology got me confused all the time (between miosis and mitosis) lol.

See, the problem with subjects like business, legal, english, etc. there is no right or wrong answer - it's all up to you to justify it as the "best" answer. Talk about pressure....

I did commerce in year 8 and I was put into a year 10 class. I topped the class every time, never under 95% for tests, etc.

Maybe science isn't one of my strengths, but commerce and business studies are no way near each other. I thought I'd do good, but I'm struggling.

To put all this into perspective, here's how much content I have for each subject:

Least to Most:
Entertainment Industry
English (Advanced + Standard content)
Visual Arts
Italian Continuers
Business Studies

This is all preliminary + HSC content. All the subjects (except English, of course) continue (prelim. content very possibly assessed).

So you can see that English has the least, even when combined. Entertainment is a TVET practical course and the only content we have really are glossaries of terms plus how to work the lighting and mixer desks.

Languages pack a punch. And that's without the readers. I have another folder just for readers.

So in summary, yes, Business Studies, for me, has the most content to recall. Find me a chemistry, English, or legal studies student with that much content! And don't include extension units lol.

EDIT: HSC Business Studies has 5 topics. 4 for the preliminary if I remember correctly, but we don't need one of them because it's just part of a task. So that's 8 topics in total.
For English, you have 2 modules and your area of study. Seeing as English does not continue, this means you have 3 topics to remember for English.

8 VS 3

Supplementary texts required for both subjects, so you can't use that as an excuse for English over Business. For English, you can read 2 novels, study a film, or poetry. Content of prescribed texts is up to your teachers and content for your related texts is up to you. This does not apply to Business Studies as all prescribed content is the same virtually all over the country. The case studies are your choice, but your teacher can't make you do poetry instead of an entire novel.

Last edited:

Jachie

HSC
Sure business has a lot of content. I just don't see how that alone makes it hard.

I don't have to understand what i'm learning, so long as i remember the terms and regurgitate it appropriately i've passed with flying colours. it doesn't require any deep thinking or actual comprehension on my part. I find it a pretty straight-forward and mindless subject tbh, there is no way in hell that business could be considered as intense and strenuous as, say, physics or economics or maths extension 2.

fair enough you find it difficult, or the hardest out of the subjects YOU personally are doing. but understand that says more about your subject selections than it does anything else. business is absolutely not "the hardest HSC subject", shitload of content or no.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
bassistx said:
Source = in person. Various HSC markers (who've been marking for years) said this to huge groups of us. It's not official. But it's "rough" - seeing as they also grade other subjects and they agree B.S. is the hardest.

For the second time, I did not mention anything about learning. You can teach yourself. The remembering is the hard part.

Two girls in our business studies class also do legal studies. I don't know of any others but they definitely agree that business studies has more content. Remember, I am basing this on "experiences", rather than statistics, facts, etc.

I did maths. 2U and then general. Nope, no way near as much content as business. I dropped maths so I could dedicate more time to business - that's how much work we had. Mind you, I was doing Advanced Maths in my junior years - nah, it was easy to remember formulas etc!

Engilsh... Well, I do English lol. I did Advanced and yet again, dropped because a) Didn't like studying Shakespeare.. It should be enjoyed, not analyzed and b) Too much work to keep up with because of other subjects (BUSINESS!).

English is pretty good when it comes to content. There isn't much you do in class. Your own texts, your own time. So it's really up to you how much content there is.

For Business Studies, you need 2 or 3 case studies. So imagine English plus 42892735 trees worth of content. Yeah, that's business.

However... I don't do chemistry and I don't know of any chem students who also take business (good move!). I haven't done any senior sciences, but back in my junior years, I found it quite easy compared to biology and physics. I enjoyed physics the most, but chemistry was pretty straightforward. Biology got me confused all the time (between miosis and mitosis) lol.

See, the problem with subjects like business, legal, english, etc. there is no right or wrong answer - it's all up to you to justify it as the "best" answer. Talk about pressure....

I did commerce in year 8 and I was put into a year 10 class. I topped the class every time, never under 95% for tests, etc.

Maybe science isn't one of my strengths, but commerce and business studies are no way near each other. I thought I'd do good, but I'm struggling.

To put all this into perspective, here's how much content I have for each subject:

Least to Most:
Entertainment Industry
English (Advanced + Standard content)
Visual Arts
Italian Continuers
Business Studies

This is all preliminary + HSC content. All the subjects (except English, of course) continue (prelim. content very possibly assessed).

So you can see that English has the least, even when combined. Entertainment is a TVET practical course and the only content we have really are glossaries of terms plus how to work the lighting and mixer desks.

Languages pack a punch. And that's without the readers. I have another folder just for readers.

So in summary, yes, Business Studies, for me, has the most content to recall. Find me a chemistry, English, or legal studies student with that much content! And don't include extension units lol.

EDIT: HSC Business Studies has 5 topics. 4 for the preliminary if I remember correctly, but we don't need one of them because it's just part of a task. So that's 8 topics in total.
For English, you have 2 modules and your area of study. Seeing as English does not continue, this means you have 3 topics to remember for English.

8 VS 3

Supplementary texts required for both subjects, so you can't use that as an excuse for English over Business. For English, you can read 2 novels, study a film, or poetry. Content of prescribed texts is up to your teachers and content for your related texts is up to you. This does not apply to Business Studies as all prescribed content is the same virtually all over the country. The case studies are your choice, but your teacher can't make you do poetry instead of an entire novel.
Why drop maths, english courses etc all for just Business? Maths and English seem a lot more important to me that Business Studies. I would imagine that there is more Chemistry content to remember than Business Studies content due to the marking and scaling of Chemsitry.

Last edited:

Black Hawker

HSC
Jachie said:
I don't have to understand what i'm learning, so long as i remember the terms and regurgitate it appropriately i've passed with flying colours. it doesn't require any deep thinking or actual comprehension on my part. I find it a pretty straight-forward and mindless subject tbh, there is no way in hell that business could be considered as intense and strenuous as, say, physics or economics or maths extension 2.
I agree with you, but I find Economics just as easy to understand as Economics (in most parts).

Physics and Maths Ext 2 on that other is pretty "intense".

Jachie

HSC
Black Hawker said:
I agree with you, but I find Economics just as easy to understand as Economics (in most parts).

Physics and Maths Ext 2 on that other is pretty "intense".
meh fair enough. I did use it as an example because it's generally considered to be one of the higher-scaling, difficult-to-grasp subjects but obviously opinions differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)