Business or Legal? (1 Viewer)

-billiris

HSC
I'm in Year 10 and I had decided to do both Legal and Business for next year. Although I am now choosing to apply for a subject through Open High School, and it come down to either choose Business or Legal.

I would appreciated if any people who are doing/who have done these subjects help me out.

1. Which subject has more content?
2. I am good at Yr 9 and 10 Commerce (close to 90% on my last report), would this mean I would be good at Business?
3. Is their many oral presentations (such as speeches) in Legal?
4. Which one scales/aligns better (don't tell me to not worry about scaling, it's a very small part of my decision)
5. Your overall experience with either of these subjects.

Last edited:

lightthefuze

HSC
1. Legal has more content, but Business is pretty close as well
2. Yes, but what you learn in Commerce is only the first part of Legal and Business
3. At the moment, I've only had to do one oral presentation for Legal and it was a group task
4. Legal scales better (by a small amount)
5. Be prepared to stay up to date with notes for both subjects. Terminology is also useful to memorise and use as well, as markers are looking for as much Legal/Business terminology being used in responses - Oh, and lots of writing. Rote learning is also commonly used in these subjects. Overall, 3.5-4/5 for both subjects - this may just be due to my teachers!

Feel free to ask other specific questions, just send me a message!

madditrev

HSC
1. Both legal and business have around the same content, legal has a tad more, i aould say.
2. commerce is just the basis of both of the subjects.
3. legal has not had any speeches so far. (i'm in my last term of year 11)
4. Legal.
5. both legal and business consist of loads of writing and terminology. you'll have to make sure you stay on top of the terms for both classes as they don't usually overlap. Essays are commonly used in Legal studies where it is great to add in the Crimes Act of the information you're talking about (markers look for that). Overall, i enjoy both classes but sometimes they do get boring for myself due to the lengthiness and depth.

-billiris

HSC
I heard in Business you write Business reports. What's the difference between a business report and an essay??

madditrev

HSC
An essay is where you are mostly 'arguing' your views/side while a business report is strictly facts about your business. At the moment, we are creating our own business and have to make a business report at the end about the process.
i don't know if this made sense but i hope it did.

IcyRain

HSC
Business reports usually have you categorize your information under separate headings, eg. Executive Summary, Background, Conclusion/Recommendation. They require you to get straight to the point and keep out any unnecessary information.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Which subject has more content?
Not sure, both are fairly content heavy
2. I am good at Yr 9 and 10 Commerce (close to 90% on my last report), would this mean I would be good at Business?
Learn how to answer short answers, a capable commerce student has potential.
3. Is their many oral presentations (such as speeches) in Legal?
The legal cohort did a speech for one of their assessment in year 11 and also did one in year 12
4. Which one scales/aligns better (don't tell me to not worry about scaling, it's a very small part of my decision)
Legal scales a tad better, but business is more straightforward
5. Your overall experience with either of these subjects.
Business is okay, need to 'memorise' the syllabus i.e headings otherwise your screwed.
Do practice you reap rewards

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I heard in Business you write Business reports. What's the difference between a business report and an essay??

Business reports are basically classified under subheadings, and you can use bullet points.

dim-sims

HSC
1. I personally feel like there more content in Business Studies to remember but both are pretty content-heavy subjects, albeit not as difficult as something like Economics. Both subjects it helps a lot to know the syllabus very well and for me personally I find that using acronyms helps a lot.
3. As for the oral presentations part of your question, well I think that varies from school-to-school. For y11/12 we had to do an <5 minute oral presentation on a powerpoint presentation but that was it.
5. For me personally, I prefer Legal over Business, although I do like both subjects. I enjoy writing essays for Legal more than Business but I think I find that I remember more from that subject. Like any subject, you need to keep up to date with summaries and for both subjects it helps (to some degree) if you keep up to date with the news. For Business you need case studies of businesses to use as real-life examples for dot-points in the syllabus. For Legal you need media reports (or in other words, newspaper articles etc.) and court cases to add onto your arguments.

Basically the difference between a business report and a business essay is that for the report you write in a different format with an executive summary (this is basically a summary of everything in the report), a body (which is further broken down into syllabus headings) and a conclusion. If you scroll down to Section III on this link there is an example of a business report. In Business you can write the essay in the business report format if you want to (personally, I do this because I find that everything is just more organised under headings) but don't write an essay like this for any other subject.

I think the others have covered the other questions :)

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
legal caz more fun. didn't do business though

-billiris

HSC
I am strong at English and will be doing Ext Eng next year. I enjoy writing. I know they both have lots of writing, but which one more so?

Which one would be better suited to my strength?

-billiris

HSC
1. I personally feel like there more content in Business Studies to remember but both are pretty content-heavy subjects, albeit not as difficult as something like Economics. Both subjects it helps a lot to know the syllabus very well and for me personally I find that using acronyms helps a lot.
3. As for the oral presentations part of your question, well I think that varies from school-to-school. For y11/12 we had to do an <5 minute oral presentation on a powerpoint presentation but that was it.
5. For me personally, I prefer Legal over Business, although I do like both subjects. I enjoy writing essays for Legal more than Business but I think I find that I remember more from that subject. Like any subject, you need to keep up to date with summaries and for both subjects it helps (to some degree) if you keep up to date with the news. For Business you need case studies of businesses to use as real-life examples for dot-points in the syllabus. For Legal you need media reports (or in other words, newspaper articles etc.) and court cases to add onto your arguments.

Basically the difference between a business report and a business essay is that for the report you write in a different format with an executive summary (this is basically a summary of everything in the report), a body (which is further broken down into syllabus headings) and a conclusion. If you scroll down to Section III on this link there is an example of a business report. In Business you can write the essay in the business report format if you want to (personally, I do this because I find that everything is just more organised under headings) but don't write an essay like this for any other subject.

I think the others have covered the other questions :)
I am doing Economics. Is it true Business compliments it well?

madditrev

HSC
I am strong at English and will be doing Ext Eng next year. I enjoy writing. I know they both have lots of writing, but which one more so?

well, they both have copious amounts of writing. but in my opinion, legal studies has more writing just due to the crimes acts and everything.
so you will be doing english advanced too?

dim-sims

HSC

In the HSC exam for legal there are three essays (one on crime and then one on each of your option topics) whereas in business there are two extended responses (the business report and essay).

I guess probably legal studies.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

dim-sims

HSC
In some aspects yes, Eco content pops up here and there - guessing they're only the basics of the Eco course. I.e. The Economic/Business Cycle
Agreed. I don't think there is too much of an advantage doing both of them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Business is a lot of common sense, and rote learning .... It is quite mind numbing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)