Business Statistics thread (1 Viewer)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
goan_crazy said:
business stats required more work than finance
but i hated finance
i shouldve put more work into finance lol
Yeah, you should have got a better mark for finance joe!!

Donutman (forgot his name) in stats made it extremely hard to pick up too.

maka

HSC
I hate numbers. So both were as hard as each other!

dram

i do things
HSC
Are you thinking of Ingo Huratio? I found his lectures amusing - i turned up more for the funnies that he made rather than the intent to actually learn anything.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
dram said:
Are you thinking of Ingo Huratio? I found his lectures amusing - i turned up more for the funnies that he made rather than the intent to actually learn anything.
Yes. He made everything confusing, and I even resorted to reading parts of the textbook to actually understand what was going on.

His handwriting (on the overhead slides) were unreadable too.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Huratio said:
Yeah, you should have got a better mark for finance joe!!

Donutman (forgot his name) in stats made it extremely hard to pick up too.
haha donutman :p
Ingo

we should've had Paul Burke
he would've been awesome!

Even Luke Greenacre would've been heaps good
i loved his tutes
he made everything so much easier to understand!

HSC
Donski said:
yeah he is.

well the mid is tomorrow; mixed feeling...half ready half not. 16 mcq's

there are 5 assignments to complete plus h/w during tuts.
wow 5 assignments, that sucks. so are they all worth like 5%?

yeah^ luke was a good tutor made the subject easy to understand and gave solid notes which you could take into the exam made the final exam a breeze.

roadcone

HSC
Paul Burke did an absolutely awesome job in spring 2006. Probably one of the best lecturer's I have had so far, or at least one of the few to leave a very good impression on me.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
roadcone said:
Paul Burke did an absolutely awesome job in spring 2006. Probably one of the best lecturer's I have had so far, or at least one of the few to leave a very good impression on me.
I think Joe and I were the unluckiest in the way that we got Ingo instead of Paul. The next semester it switched back to Paul =\

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
Huratio said:
I think Joe and I were the unluckiest in the way that we got Ingo instead of Paul. The next semester it switched back to Paul =\
Is it true that you dont really need the book in this subject since it wont be used much in the course?

By the way, how tough is actually fudamentals of finance? seems like finance is a rather hard subject after reading some of your posts

dram

i do things
HSC
i used the stats text book for the first couple of weeks (definitions and such). After that i didn't touch it.

Fundamentals of Finance is probably the easiest topic i've done so far at uni because you will know pretty much exactly what will be in the exams. It would be more challenging without the cheat sheet of course, it means you need to do much less study than you would if it was closed book. The tutorial work will cover everything in the exam and often it is wordly very similarly.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
samuraitor said:
Is it true that you dont really need the book in this subject since it wont be used much in the course?

By the way, how tough is actually fudamentals of finance? seems like finance is a rather hard subject after reading some of your posts
I used the textbook for some reading and such- pretty useful if you miss a lecture or two. Otherwise all the other material - lecture and tutorial material is in the lecture slide package that you buy from the union shop at the beginning of the semester.

If you don't buy it, you probably won't miss out on much. Although, if you want to do some self study questions, you will have to get the textbook. Try picking up a second hand one if your short on cash.

dram said:
i used the stats text book for the first couple of weeks (definitions and such). After that i didn't touch it.

Fundamentals of Finance is probably the easiest topic i've done so far at uni because you will know pretty much exactly what will be in the exams. It would be more challenging without the cheat sheet of course, it means you need to do much less study than you would if it was closed book. The tutorial work will cover everything in the exam and often it is wordly very similarly.
Yeah. It could be the easiest business core subject.
You can bring a one page (double sided) cheatsheet for both the mid-semester and final exam- and that makes it so much easier. I wrote down some tutorial exercises and just copied out the format in the final exam.
The capital budgeting assignment is an easy 15/15 too. I had 3 great team members and we did it within 2hrs or something.

Donski

HSC
N/A
help....

A bank manager is examining the distribution of business loans that have been applied for in the past year, noting that (using as sample of 500 loans) they are normally distributed with a mean of $1,570,000 and standard deviation of $800,000. The manager wants to be able to determine
whether the average amount of loans applied for will be within the $1,500,000 to $1,600,000 bracket. Can you determine the probability? Why or Why not? If so, what is it, outlining any assumptions you may make? If not, what information would you need?

2 possible answers....
No, we need to assume that the population is infinite/ very large or we get the population size. We also need the distribution of the sample means or we assume that the sample means has an average of $1,570, 000 and a standard error of 800,000
n= 500.

Yes you can determine the probability, but it won’t be to the same accuracy as having the population mean and standard deviation mentioned. You must assume the population is infinite and substitute the sample mean and standard deviation as population. You must also use the t distribution table for this inference statistic. This would mean you would assume that 800000/500 =1600.

What do you reckon?

appreciate any help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)