• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BUSL250 take home exam (1 Viewer)

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
anyway this 500 word limit is way too short its so hard to stick to !!!!!! wonder how strict they really are?

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
do u think the 10% rule applies? u know 10 over 10 under?

hey for ques3 im abit perplexed =\
so like does the guy have a case or not?
any help would be cool

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
also i'm a bit confused for q. 1.5 could someone explain what it means, mainly the 'contrast the actions for' bit? (prob sounds like a stupid question i know)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i'm not confused at all...

maybe thats because i havent started it yet :eek:

just finished the accg200 quiz. hope i passed :(

ReaveR

HSC
I'm hell confused!

I reckon this assignment is pretty badly worded...contrast the actions, is that meant to mean what they are, or actions you can take to remedy, or what?!

And what about 'operation' of the residential tenancies legislation...how its used or what it contains within the act?

And a question about footnoting, if we take information from one paragraph from the book and list it in dot points, would we have to footnote each point/line? Or just stick one somewhere near the beginning?

Rahul good luck with your quiz =)

Edit: And the wordlimit nooooooooooo!!

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
yea the ass. is worded pretty badly
even my friends said so. alot of gramatical errors too let alone the badly worded questions that are pretty ambiguous about what their asking

edit
anyone wanna be nice as to share the cases they used for ques3?

Last edited:

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
far out
i DONT KNOW what to write at all for q3
like from the very start i can just end the question with why he wouldnt have a case

=\

ReaveR

HSC
Haha, I don't know where to start for 2.
I guess I should start looking at Ch2 or somewhere around there.

For 3, you'd have to identify the legal problems first, then go through each and every issue comparing to the law as you go along, adapting to your case. Don't forget to refer to the Civil Liability Act.

^ None of that actually helps me start either, its just what my tutor told me =p

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
yea i got that bit =\
but then its actually putting that into words thats difficult =\
im like well for the past 8hrs ive been stuck.
i feel like banging my head on a wall

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
can anyone here clarify for me what
"on the PROFITABILITY OR OTHERWISE of the two shops he is interested in buying"
means?

what does the "or otherwise" mean?
anyone?

ReaveR

HSC
Haha, I got into a huge argument with my friend about what "on the PROFITABILITY OR OTHERWISE of the two shops he is interested in buying" is meant to mean...

Damn silly assignment.

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
lol so what was the conclusion of the argument?
does "or otherwise"
mean like or ANYTHIng ELSE that would come into question on the profitability of the shop?
or....?

EDIT
it says "YOU are a solicitor. Advice john if he has a claim...."
does that mean we refer to him as YOU or does it have to be in third person ie. John and Quick Figures
or can it be like. therefore YOU have a case against qf
?

Last edited:

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
hahah its 2nd night and im still in square one... hahha this is great... havnt even done the whole q1

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
My guess would be that the profitability or otherwise could mean like other financial information (e.g. return on investment, liquidity etc.) which would tell them whether it would be a good investment or not?

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
so does that include whether the other shops would open new stores or not?

and with my question about adressing him personally?

ReaveR

HSC
Yeah my tutor said you're meant to be writing it like a real solicitor would, so you'd address them personally in the report.

The argument didn't conclude anything lol

I actually don't think the accountant would know if they're opening new stores.
It's not like accountants go and ask the owners what they're going to do in the future, as they're not likely to disclose that. Don't accountants construct these sorts of reports from publically available information, like its profit and loss statements etc.? Then in this case, there isn't really any way of knowing if they're going to open new stores, unless disclosed in the types of reports that shareholders get from big companies...which these small stores wouldn't have? Even if they did any future investment talk would be vague.

So, I'm going to say that Bing Lee can't have known...

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Lol umm I think I will address him as you, since it says advise him, hence we are supposed to be communicating to HIM. But would they really be that nit-picky and deduct marks if we say him instead of you or vice versa?

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
boinkBOINK said:
can anyone here clarify for me what
"on the PROFITABILITY OR OTHERWISE of the two shops he is interested in buying" means? what does the "or otherwise" mean?
yenta said:
My guess would be that the profitability or otherwise could mean like other financial information (e.g. return on investment, liquidity etc.) which would tell them whether it would be a good investment or not?
boinkBOINK said:
so does that include whether the other shops would open new stores or not?
...I Interpreted it as Bing Lee (B) having to refer to the business's profit or otherwise... another way of putting it would be to refer to the business's profitability or lack therefof. So, utterly and essentially: whether the businesses are profitable, or not.

I dunno, maybe the accountants can correct me if I'm wrong: the accountant's role (in this case) was to provide a PROFITABILITY REPORT. Not to provide business forecasting for something months away (they don't open shops till months after). However, it could be reasonably foreseeable that competition would come about. I personally think that that's the nature of business, and part of the risk of investing in your own business. Thus, J should have known about it himself... but that's not considered in an action against B. However, It IS reasonably foreseeable that competition could arise, in my opinion. I don't think B needs to mention it, and we'll establish that by the end of the case, but it IS reasonably foreseeable that competition could arise.

However, as a professional, B only has to act based on the current circumstances (see G&F... somepage.)

I'd say he's got duty. I'd say he's got breach, but I'd not say there's causation, and thus he fails on damages (and besides that, damages don't even EXIST yet.. he's 'furious' about the losses he's predicting). That's the route I'm taking, but you could go off in any tangent you like, really. It's just a matter of arguing from the right perspective to say what you need to. My tutor said that it's less whether you get it right or wrong, in as much as you demonstrate that you know how to reference, how to look up cases, how to apply the facts to the law, etc etc. So, it's more the process than getting the 'right' or 'wrong' results.

boinkBOINK said:
it says "YOU are a solicitor. Advice john if he has a claim...." does that mean we refer to him as YOU or does it have to be in third person ie. John and Quick Figures or can it be like. therefore YOU have a case against qf?
I've not taken this into account thus far... I remember Ms Blazey saying we should make reference to our role as a solicitor advising our client... I'd not bother with the third persn stuff.. just write the damned thing. Put at the top that you're writing a report for the eyes of J, and then at the end make it look like you're writing to J personally or something...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)