Buying a car while on L's - would you do this? (1 Viewer)

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
Would you buy a car while you are on your L's?

I will definitely be buying a car when i'm on my P's and will be spending $10-12k. I can't stand learning to drive in either of my parents' cars - my mum's station wagon is crap and my dad's 4WD is too big.

I am also now having lessons with an instructor, and I feel more comfortable and at ease driving the instructor's hatchback.

So would I be crazy to buy a car while still on my L's?

Last edited:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Not crazy...but personally, I don't see the point. Whats the use of paying for and having car costs to maintain if you cant drive it whenever you want?

HSC
N/A
A few people I know have bought "new" (as in, very cheap second hand cars) either on their L's, or just before. This was cheaper than extending the insurance on their parent's cars...

Can I just ask how big the 4WD is? I learnt to drive on a CRV, which is also pretty big. It's actually not that much different from driving with a small car, except when parking when you just need to be that extra bit more careful to keep your angles clean (again, not a bad thing to learn).

Legham

HSC
Depends if you find a sweet deal or not.. I found an Audi with a heaps good price tag ($8500 instead of $12000 - $13000), so i bought it! that was only about two months before i could go for my P's.. If i were you, i'd just keep my eye out in the classifieds of the local paper, or on local(ish) internet sites.. i actually found my Audi on ebay, then rang the owner and arranged to buy it outside of ebay.. So, even thats an option..

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
A few people I know have bought "new" (as in, very cheap second hand cars) either on their L's, or just before. This was cheaper than extending the insurance on their parent's cars...

Can I just ask how big the 4WD is? I learnt to drive on a CRV, which is also pretty big. It's actually not that much different from driving with a small car, except when parking when you just need to be that extra bit more careful to keep your angles clean (again, not a bad thing to learn).
Its a toyota landcruiser, 7 seater, so it is big car. :(

I have driven a CRV and I actually really like driving it and found it easy.

HSC
N/A
Well, if your mum's car is really REALLY bad, and you've got the money (Your profile says you graduated in 2001, so I assume you're at least working part time) if you can find a good deal, then go for it - it's not as if you'll stop using the car once you get your P's, anyway :)

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
meh why not.. my dad had a new commodore - sif hes gonna let me drive that. mum has a new cruz - likewise. Got a 98 mazda metro for $5500, dad paid and im paying back half. After a while sure i'll get a better car, but theres nothing wrong with this one and at least mum doesnt have to stress about me crashing the 'good car' :p

HSC
you can always buy a shitbox too learn your Ls off, i did i think over $10k is a bit steep. your likely too scratch the rims (or hubcaps) while doing reverse parking. or bump into something, might as well get a AE92 corolla

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
Well, if your mum's car is really REALLY bad, and you've got the money (Your profile says you graduated in 2001, so I assume you're at least working part time) if you can find a good deal, then go for it - it's not as if you'll stop using the car once you get your P's, anyway :)
My mum's stationwagon is bad - when I was practicing reverse parking yesterday it kept on cutting out for no reason (its an auto too). There are also other things that are wrong with the car that make it uncomfortable to drive (airconditioning is broken etc) Its not a nice car to drive :S

I started uni a year ago, so I haven't got the same earning power that I did when I was employed full time. I haven't got a part-time job as such, but get by on babysitting $, youth allowance and doing notetaking at uni.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Go for it....if you learn on a car and drive it for a while, you will be much more comfortable in the Provisional test. I think its definately a good choice buying on your L's. That way you don't get used to driving your parents car on the road, then buy something completely different and go out on your own in it, its always good to get used to the car before you hit the open road.

CieL

HSC
faintygirl83 said:
So would I be crazy to buy a car while still on my L's?
Depends on if you're the type of person that would go on to do the DART.
How long have you had your Ls for?

It would be pointless to buy your own car to learn on, if you dont drive more than you drive...

You born in 83? 23/24yrs old now?

I dont know.. cos it is a big purchase.. and you dont seem to NEEEEED a car..

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Most L platers don't buy a car because it's out of their means- generally they're 16 years old and at high school, maybe with a part time job at target or something, so they can't afford it. It's a good idea for those with a few grand in the bank, though, especially if your parents drive cars that aren't great to learn on.

Don't go nuts, though. You're still learning and it would be best to have a car that you don't mind scraping on poles in carparks and the like.

Legham

HSC
Just because your a learner, doesn't mean you're going to damage the car at all :S I know i didn't come close to doing any damage to the cars i learned in.. Buying a shitbox that you're gonna replace once you get your P's is just creating more rego expenses for you..

CieL

HSC
hahah I was going to say the exact same thing...

I never scraped or touched anything whilst I was learning... rain, hail, shine.. driving through mountain roads to carparks loaded with asian mums.. etc =]

Legham

HSC
^ Or alternatively, buy something that you like and that you could be proud of instead of a POS..

Since when do P's mean you have to drive around in a little shitbox?

CieL

HSC
Oh.. and don't buy a daewoo or anything related to a daewoo.. or korea..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
CieL said:
Oh.. and don't buy a daewoo or anything related to a daewoo.. or korea..
lol.. holden.

The Captiva (unrelated to this thread topic) actually looks quite decently built from the photos and what I've seen on the street. Never sat in one though.

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't buy a crap car - the car that I buy will need to be decent, reliable and cheap to run, that will get me to and from uni for the next 3 years.

Hopefully I shouldn't be on my L's for too much longer - my driving instructor has told me that I will be fine to go for my test, I just need to get my driving hours up.

I'm interested in buying a Toyota Echo or Yaris (need to save more for the latter though).

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
faintygirl83 said:
I wouldn't buy a crap car - the car that I buy will need to be decent, reliable and cheap to run, that will get me to and from uni for the next 3 years.

Hopefully I shouldn't be on my L's for too much longer - my driving instructor has told me that I will be fine to go for my test, I just need to get my driving hours up.

I'm interested in buying a Toyota Echo or Yaris (need to save more for the latter though).
Mmmm well i'm in a similar situation but i'll be getting my P's in the next week if I pass.. and i'll have to be lucky.... $5000 budget (and that includes CTP + rego/tyres if need be).

I'm avoiding
Ford [early models],
Holden, [ditto]
Daewoo [dont even go near one],
most European models [too expensive re: parts/servicing]
and Hyundai Excel.

However i'd go a Hyundai Sonata if I could find a few more manual ones :(

Currently looking at getting a Misubishi lancer or mirage, Toyota Corolla [maybe a Camry], Nissan Pulsar or Honda Civic. It's hard though when you live where I do to find the range of 2nd hand cars you can in Sydney.... plus if you're like me and need a manual car, that wipes out half the choices there... blah... car shopping sucks...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)