CA, CPA, CFA helppp (1 Viewer)

khosanman

HSC
Hi all,

I am employed in private wealth at an investment bank, and have started my CFA. Had my level 1 exam just yesterday. Was pretty hard.

Now the thing is, I am considering doing CPA or CA as well. I am kind of swaying towards CPA now as its a lot easier and less stricter with emploment circumstances etc.

I should also add that I am expecting to have to go back to europe with my girlfriend in about august next year, and obviously can't do CA there, although dont mind taking a break from it there if I have to if its so much better a degree.

I have worked in accounting previously, and I work a lot in tax in my current job. The reason I want the accounting qualification as well is because it may be pretty hard getting a investments job in Scandinavia, and a lot easier to find something in accounting, so would be good to have this partly behind me.

So the question is CA or CPA, and if I do happen to pass my CFA exam I took yesterday, should I scrap thast and go for CFA level 2 in june. ??

Real troubles deciding im having, and would appreciate your help

ztThanks

ace

is retired
HSC
Chartered takes time. Not sure how long CPA/CA takes, but i'll brief you on CFA quickly.

CFA Level 1 Exam
CFA Level 2 Exam
CFA Level 3 Exam

Say you pass the Level 1 exam, doesn't mean your a CFA. Level 2 and Level 3 run once a year, so at a minimum that's 2 years for the exams. Also a requirement is 48months of work. Since you work in an investment bank, you might alreadly have this. So lets assume you have. Minimum 2 years for CFA. I know its looked good upon in USA not sure about Australia or other overseas places though.

Good luck with what you choose. Also, if cost isn't a concern, do both a CFA and CPA then. If your sticking with investments then CFA, if you see yourself as an accountant in the long term then CPA.

Note: You could just do the qualifications for fun. Like a challenge to see if you can achieve them :)

Last edited:

khosanman

HSC
thanks for the advice, but im doing CFA so i know how that all works.

I guess its about diversifying what i can do for europe too.

So its weather i should do CPA or CA really

christinahk

HSC
N/A
i doubt whether you have time to do both (CFA plus either CPA or CA).

as you said CFA Level 1 (more or less equivalent to UG finance degree level) is not easy, the difficulty of Level 2 & 3 increases more progressively. my bf got his CFA when he turned 22 & he spent 1.5 years for all 3 levels (he didnt have to study for lv 1).

i would suggest u to look at the level 2,3 materials to check whether u think u have time for both before starting CPA or CA.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Take some time to research what is the better valued qualification in Europe (scandinavia in particular) before making the decision on CA v CPA. From my understanding the CA is a more rounded business qualification, whereas the CPA is more an accounting focused qualification (I'm currently doing the CA program, so I don't know all that much about CPA)

khosanman

HSC
WHAT?? your bf is one genius. He didnt have to study for lvl1, he completed his CFA at age 22??? Bloody overachievers

Im 25, and ive only jsut done lvel 1, which there's a great possibility ive failed.

When I say CFA and CA or CPA, I wouldnt do all at once. For example, I'll be taking a break in my CFA for a year while I study for CA or CPA next year, then go for level 2 CFA in 2009.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

I have enrolled for CA, but I have the option to get a refund and go for CPA should I decide. CPA really is sounding good becaue I get the title of an Associate CPA if I enrol in it, because i have completed certain requirements for that already, plud id get a year of the mentor program already exempted because of previous experience. Love the associated CPA title. So yeah, really struggling still to choose.

Any mroe advice is welcomed

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've come to realise CPA is more recognised amongst normal companies, and they do a much better job of publicising it in Asia (not sure about Europe); but that being said, AFAIK, there aren't any jobs which discriminate against you for having a CA, but there are a few jobs in say professional services which clearly prefer CA over CPA.

Without studying either yet, I'm inclined to think CPA is more geared towards people who will work in an accounting role of some sort in a private company, whereas CA is similar, but with more emphasis on professional services owhether it be audit, or transaction services.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Besides CFA/CA for postgrad finance qualification, has anyone considered the AFMA diploma for dealer accreditation? I'm thinking of doing it in fixed income.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
CPA's can solve all business related problems in this world provided that it's multiple choice!

kchoi99

HSC
N/A
Hope you've received some answers since your post. I have done my CA and CPA. Now studying for level 1 CFA.

I have seen CFA's who can't get jobs and are now doing the CA process. CPA, I would not do alone, unless you are planning to complete your CFA, as it does not mean much unless you have worked BIG 4. Everyone is looking for BIG 4 experience if you are a CPA. If you are a CA you will likely have worked at a BIG 4. Depending on where you are , you may be eligible to do a CPA by a single 4 hr eciprocity exam, which is how I did mine. If you can't commit to the time, I would do the CPA AND CFA, not just either one. This will SIGNIFICANTLY increase your chance of securing a high paying job. Most CFA and CA/CPAs I know are all working toward multiple hundred k per year jobs which is at least 2x more that those with either designations alone. I too am looking to add the CFA as I am looking to secure a top tier job as a CFO within the hedge fund industry and believe this is a surefire way to do it.

Definitely was not easy doing the CA, but it has paid off hugely and I have no regrets. CA's are valued generally higher than CPA's. I work with both and have seen the attitude that CA's bring to their work. I totally recommend you do it. it will give you a huge competitive advantage very few possess.

Good luck on your studies.

CA, CPA, CFA

BeeCom

HSC
Hope you've received some answers since your post. I have done my CA and CPA. Now studying for level 1 CFA.

I have seen CFA's who can't get jobs and are now doing the CA process. CPA, I would not do alone, unless you are planning to complete your CFA, as it does not mean much unless you have worked BIG 4. Everyone is looking for BIG 4 experience if you are a CPA. If you are a CA you will likely have worked at a BIG 4. Depending on where you are , you may be eligible to do a CPA by a single 4 hr eciprocity exam, which is how I did mine. If you can't commit to the time, I would do the CPA AND CFA, not just either one. This will SIGNIFICANTLY increase your chance of securing a high paying job. Most CFA and CA/CPAs I know are all working toward multiple hundred k per year jobs which is at least 2x more that those with either designations alone. I too am looking to add the CFA as I am looking to secure a top tier job as a CFO within the hedge fund industry and believe this is a surefire way to do it.

Definitely was not easy doing the CA, but it has paid off hugely and I have no regrets. CA's are valued generally higher than CPA's. I work with both and have seen the attitude that CA's bring to their work. I totally recommend you do it. it will give you a huge competitive advantage very few possess.

Good luck on your studies.

CA, CPA, CFA
\

brb trollin'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)