Cadetship 2015 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Note this information may be out of date/non-applicable but PwC was recruiting some 1st years last year that were applying for their development program for their traineeship also - this might've been due to growth or new recruitment process - either way this may or may not have affected their traineeship program this year (whether or not it's on I can't confirm).

(I don't like to write speculative comments usually, but this seems a fair enough(and potentially relevant) statement to post for you guys.)

matchalolz

HSC
Is anyone trying for mid tier firms like hall chadwick, crofts etc?
yep. I'm applying for everything I find because I can't afford to be picky (any opportunity would be good)
So far I have two interviews scheduled a few days before exams though, I hope I don't majorly screw up school/ATAR wise ;_;

also, question to the more experience uni/work people, do employers tend to look down on those applicants who to go uts rather than unsw/usyd?
idk i just heard these rumours from my friends
My ideal preference would be usyd at 95 atar (which is achievable if i keep going at this rate) but in the case that I don't make it in, I'm happy to go to uts. unsw is a bit of a trek though....

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Hall-Chadwick (only if its law supposably) and some small-tiers do offer work for double-degree holders - however to be honest If I was doing a double degree I wouldn't extend my degree further to 7-8 years whilst doing doing a cadetship - I guess if you want to go for a year and then boot out so you got some experience that can be done - but then you should consider if the cadetship is really something you want to do as not enjoying your work whilst on it will leave a bad taste in your mouth afterwards.
I can tell you (as somebody doing a double degree now), extending my time at uni becomes rather frustrating after a while. You can always go back later if you want, but even spending 5 or 6 years at uni can really take its toll. I'm at a stage now where I want to move on in my career and life, and I can't yet. Especially considering you need to complete CA/CPA after, don't spend 10 years of your life getting the education when you can get it done sooner!!

Sorry for the rant, I had a frustrating day at work and with exams coming up all I want is more time! :p

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
yep. I'm applying for everything I find because I can't afford to be picky (any opportunity would be good)
So far I have two interviews scheduled a few days before exams though, I hope I don't majorly screw up school/ATAR wise ;_;

also, question to the more experience uni/work people, do employers tend to look down on those applicants who to go uts rather than unsw/usyd?
idk i just heard these rumours from my friends
My ideal preference would be usyd at 95 atar (which is achievable if i keep going at this rate) but in the case that I don't make it in, I'm happy to go to uts. unsw is a bit of a trek though....
When i started at Hall Chadwick there were 13 of us.
5 at UWS, 2 at UTS, 4 at Macquarie and 2 at UNSW. (Usyd didn't have a part time option then)

Considering you get your cadetship offer well before your HSC results, they'll look more at your potential to go to university and have a high ATAR rather than where you want to attend.

heeyjennifer

HSC
When I spoke with them last week, they said that each of their individual divisions would be operating their cadetship programs separately this year. And they said something about it being posted on facebook or social media? Not too sure though but I think they're going to be offering cadetships later on in the year and that it'll be operating under a different system.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
So, EY cadetships are open, gonna apply for it and see what happens. To a worst case scenario I may not get it but I achieved some interview experience which may aid me in my future interviews.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
They ask typical questions like what you know about the market currently, stuff in the news etc.. they might throw harder questions at you like how this would affect UBS or the division you're applying for, also questions about the division you're applying for will be asked (what you know etc..) , other then that standard behavioural questions and trying to find out more about you. (I heard some got curveballs and some didn't last year)
Lol, after deciding that I am gonna apply that was the first thing I searched about

Legitbored

HSC
Big 4 cadet here - happy to answer (almost) any questions people have - can't recommend a cadetship program enough!
Hey Jinks, I'm currently deliberating whether or not I should be applying for some big 4 cadets. Because they are accounting cadets (as opposed to ubs), is there still room for movement (i.e. from back office to front office), and can you give me some pros and cons? Thanks a bunch x

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Hi Jinks,

I'm applying to the big 4 as a Com/eng student, I understand that they want me to do a single com degree. If i declare that i am a com/eng student, will they instantly skip over my resume?

Thanks

Jinks

HSC
Hey Jinks, I'm currently deliberating whether or not I should be applying for some big 4 cadets. Because they are accounting cadets (as opposed to ubs), is there still room for movement (i.e. from back office to front office), and can you give me some pros and cons? Thanks a bunch x
Firstly, I won't pretend to be an expert on the UBS cadetship (because I'm not) but my understanding was that it is in fact more back office orientated and the work is much more 'financial accounting' than 'finance'.

Going into a big 4 cadetship I think it's important to have an open mind. As an 18-19 year old I think it's nearly impossible to have your heart set on a particular field when you most likely have little to no experience with the type of work that's actually done. What I'm trying to say is that I would approach a cadetship as an experience, the area of work is probably second to this.

The experience you gain will be second to none - you'll develop an array of technical and non-technical skills that your peers just won't have from university alone. IF at the end of the cadetship you were to decide that a particular field was not for you, with the support from the firm it is entirely possible to return as a graduate in a different field (if the need is there of course).

At a high level the pros include things such as fantastic professional (and relevant) experience, building a strong network, 'foot in the door' at a firm, ability to re-join as experienced, financial support throughout studies etc.

Other things to consider would be time commitment, ability to find a balance between work/study/social, willingness to sometime sacrifice 'the uni experience' while you're working.

Overall if you're willing to learn and happy to have a go, I'd recommend a cadetship to anyone interested in a professional career.

Jinks

HSC
Hi Jinks,

I'm applying to the big 4 as a Com/eng student, I understand that they want me to do a single com degree. If i declare that i am a com/eng student, will they instantly skip over my resume?

Thanks

I feel that the only concern with doing a double degree and a cadetship would be the time it takes to complete your degree. A standard commerce degree is 3 years, with a cadetship it becomes 4. I assume with eng as well you're looking at 6 years in total.

I suppose the question is whether or not you would look to drop the eng component of your degree to pursue the cadetship, alternatively it is probably worth having a look at some of the divisions at firms that take eng degree students (also ideally cadets) and reach out to HR to see if this is something that could be supported.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I feel that the only concern with doing a double degree and a cadetship would be the time it takes to complete your degree. A standard commerce degree is 3 years, with a cadetship it becomes 4. I assume with eng as well you're looking at 6 years in total.
And that is 6 years assuming you can fit everything into your timetable, don't have any fails or have to withdraw from subjects etc. My friends studying engineering are often at uni every day for 4-5 hours each day. They've got field trips, practical classes etc that take up a lot of time. Will evening classes be offered for all the subjects you'll need to take initially? My commerce classes are 3 contact hours (if that, often they aren't compulsory), but a few of my classes are only offered in the day time, with the latest class being a 4pm start. That class is a prerequisite for all m other accounting classes.

Above all that, depending on what field of engineering you major in, you'll probably need to undertake a compulsory placement in order to graduate. Would your accounting firm be willing to spare you for that time in order for you to get a degree which may not be relevant to them?

You need to consider all these things when you apply. Do you want to spend 6+ years trying to balance work/study/social life?

If you are absolutely set on a double degree, maybe consider finding an entry level job at a smaller accounting firm. It might provide more flexibility in terms of your double degree. You don't have the prestige associated with a big 4 cadetship, but your still getting work experience in the long run. My firm has 6 undergrads currently, varying from half a day a week (she works in admin though), up to 3 days per week. At the end of the day cadetships and undergraduate accounting level jobs are designed so you can experience what it is like working in a professional services firm and get a head start in your chosen career. You've still got a huge distinction compared to graduates with only an internship or no work experience at all.

I hope I'm not scaring you off, I just want to make sure you consider absolutely every option before settling on the best on for you.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
My bad, I didn't make myself clear. I am willing to drop the engineering degree if I was offered the cadetship, but I just need to know if they will skip over my application just because they see that I am a double degree student. My options are basically, Pursue straight commerce if offered cadetship, pursue double degree if denied. I just don't want them to skip over my resume over a double degree, that is all. I have asked someone on bos if they care or not, and thats easy to explain in the interview that I am willing to drop the engineering degree however I'm not sure if i can explain it prior the interview stage

Jinks

HSC
My bad, I didn't make myself clear. I am willing to drop the engineering degree if I was offered the cadetship, but I just need to know if they will skip over my application just because they see that I am a double degree student. My options are basically, Pursue straight commerce if offered cadetship, pursue double degree if denied. I just don't want them to skip over my resume over a double degree, that is all. I have asked someone on bos if they care or not, and thats easy to explain in the interview that I am willing to drop the engineering degree however I'm not sure if i can explain it prior the interview stage
I can't say for sure. Your best bet would be to contact the relevant HR representative of the firm and explain your situation. Alternatively, you could outline it in your cover letter.

Hope that helps!

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Hey Jinks, I have another question haha and its good news this time I guess,

I received a video interview from BDO, I've never done a video interview before, and from its description i think its automated as oppose to a skype interview with a hiring manager? I was wondering what I should expect and how I should prepare. The things I have prepared are just some anecdotes to back up what i've said in my resume, some situations to display certain skills learnt and some research in the audit position. Is there anything else major that I should look into?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't understand the difference between a professional services firm and a bank, you shouldn't be applying until you know what you are signing yourself up for. Do some research on the roles being offered and the commitment required before you get too excited about the concepts of front/back office.

In an accounting firm, all of us cadets are front office anyway :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Have you considered the reason why they would skip over you if you're a double degree student? Remember the point of a cadetship is to get people who are committed to the process and definitely want this career path because it is tough and if you aren't in it for the long term (nor to get there in a shorter time frame which is the point of a cadetship) then you probably aren't that well suited to it. Receiving a cadetship shouldn't cause you to sway one way or another but rather it should be a way to improve your already chosen degree/career path.

ps. If it helps, just put your degree as Com/Eng and explain it in your cover letter or other comments somewhere. I doubt they will skip over you just for that, but by the time you reach interview stage, you better have a very clear view on what you want to do.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
I was wondering what I should expect and how I should prepare.
Look into recent news articles regarding business and economics, a lot of firms have the tendency to ask this just to see if you're up to date with recent events. This screwed me over for one of my video interviews, I spent the 30 seconds of prep time quickly Googling a news article, not a good idea :p

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Ahh cause in my application when they asked why i wanted to be an accountant, one of reasons i listed was my interest in science, technology and engineering and how working in accounting would permit me to work with various other industries such as what i said before. I was probably going to talk about some recent news events with australia's energy sector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)