Cadetship 2015 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey just a quick question, do you guys rekon I should make a linkedin cadetships or is it too early? I dont have any legit work experience and I've only been working in stuff like tutor, gloria jeans and some apartment maintenance. volunteering is just high school committees, helping disadvantaged kids and things like that. Is it worth my time to make a linkedin considering my experience?
Sure, why not. Just make sure you keep it updated and make sure it's professional (e.g. proper photo, details, etc). Either do it properly or don't do it at all is my suggestion.

enoilgam

HSC
Hey just a quick question, do you guys rekon I should make a linkedin cadetships or is it too early? I dont have any legit work experience and I've only been working in stuff like tutor, gloria jeans and some apartment maintenance. volunteering is just high school committees, helping disadvantaged kids and things like that. Is it worth my time to make a linkedin considering my experience?
I would definitely encourage it. My Aunty was on my case for ages to make a proper one and I didnt until I was onto my second industry role. Looking back, I wish I did because I could have really developed my profile much earlier. LinkedIn is a great and simple way to network and grow your brand, so definitely get a start early on. When I get more time, I plan on developing a guide to LinkedIn for uni students because I do think it is an excellent resource.

I also agree with Seremify in that if you do make one, do it properly. A half-hearted one isnt really worth wasting your time on in my view.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Ill be there too! make sure you RSVP! apparently seats are running out.
Oh yeah almost forgot, thanks for the heads up! maybe i'll see you there haha.

Oh wow a linkedin guide, that would be pretty helpful for uni students and graduates, i'll look forward to it.

Legitbored

HSC
I would definitely encourage it. My Aunty was on my case for ages to make a proper one and I didnt until I was onto my second industry role. Looking back, I wish I did because I could have really developed my profile much earlier. LinkedIn is a great and simple way to network and grow your brand, so definitely get a start early on. When I get more time, I plan on developing a guide to LinkedIn for uni students because I do think it is an excellent resource.

I also agree with Seremify in that if you do make one, do it properly. A half-hearted one isnt really worth wasting your time on in my view.
Just wondering, I do have a LinkedIn account, however how will this pose to be useful on the night (I'm also planning to attend the EY info night). Are you supposed to connect with professionals on the night?

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Just wondering, I do have a LinkedIn account, however how will this pose to be useful on the night (I'm also planning to attend the EY info night). Are you supposed to connect with professionals on the night?
A friend told me that this year at the EY info night they were chatting to a HR Rep and the rep said to connect with them on LinkedIn after they had applied. Stuff like that can do you wonders.
That won't be the case with everyone though, that friend probably said the right things to impress the rep who may have already been in a good mood, however the point is that if the friend didn't have a LinkedIn account they wouldn't have even gotten that opportunity.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Unless you really wowed them and they come looking at your profile, I wouldn't recommend adding everyone you meet- you're not at that level yet where it's appropriate. It's more that over time, if people want to find out more about you or have a way to reach out to you, then it becomes available.

I also found that by playing with LinkedIn, I had a better understanding of how I could present myself/sell my brand and where I may have been lacking in terms of 'profile'.

vididid

HSC
ugh I have my first sem micro exam the morning after the info session, what should I do?

clam13

HSC
N/A
ugh I have my first sem micro exam the morning after the info session, what should I do?
I reckon you should come! i have an exam also the next day also! I am going because if i get a cadetship then remember marks don't make as much of a difference, they just need you to go to a uni. UTS 90 for business gives 10 bonus points for cadetship recipients. As such cheering!!!

clam13

HSC
N/A
also what kinds of things should i be asking ?
As them anything lol. gain their attention, talk about what you would like to get out of the program. What are the actual opportunities e.g. travel and stuff like that. its more getting a conversation going rather then just nodding.

Jinks

HSC
also what kinds of things should i be asking ?
Whatever you want to know (within reason)... Ask about the culture, what sort of responsibilities cadets are given, how does the formal training program work etc.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Got a phone interview with RSM tomorrow, wasn't expecting it since they prioritized year 12s.

enoilgam

HSC
It's a difficult one because info nights are really a part of the recruitment process at least in my view. I always see it as being a bit of a faux pas to add people from a company if you are going through their recruitment pipeline. The only exception to this would be external recruiters. Generally speaking, I usually only add someone Ive met and spoken to and I usually do it immediately after meeting them (unless Ive known them for a while). I usually dont do this if I met the person at a job interview - it's a bit forward and presumptuous to be adding someone before they employ you in my view.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's a difficult one because info nights are really a part of the recruitment process at least in my view. I always see it as being a bit of a faux pas to add people from a company if you are going through their recruitment pipeline. The only exception to this would be external recruiters. Generally speaking, I usually only add someone Ive met and spoken to and I usually do it immediately after meeting them (unless Ive known them for a while). I usually dont do this if I met the person at a job interview - it's a bit forward and presumptuous to be adding someone before they employ you in my view.
good perspective.

I know I've changed over time but at least initially my view was if I can't say anything meaningful about someone or how I know them, then no point adding them. It's not uncommon for someone to see I am connected to someone and then to ask me what I think of them- typically because they are applying for roles!

coolies1

HSC
Are there any good cadetships for IB/Finance? Most of these cadetships seem like they are only for accounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)