Calculating volume of Sulphur dioxide (1 Viewer)

nsbrando

HSC
Low sulphur diesel fuels used in coal mining must have a sulphur content of less than0.05% sulphur by mass

a. Calculate the volume of sulphur dioxide at 25degrees celsius and 100kPa produced by burning 1.0Kg of low (0.05%) sulphur diesel.

b. discuss the impact on the environment of using high sulphur fuels.

is b. do i answer like talking about like how it causes acid rain?

i do not know how to calculate Question a.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
It says 0.05% is sulphur so in 1Kg only 0.05% of that is sulphur by mass once you got that im pretty sure the rest can be worked out. For part B i think that acid rain is a result of that but it describes impact so maybe talk about what the rain leads to as well :)

albertcamus

HSC
Low sulphur diesel fuels used in coal mining must have a sulphur content of less than0.05% sulphur by mass

a. Calculate the volume of sulphur dioxide at 25degrees celsius and 100kPa produced by burning 1.0Kg of low (0.05%) sulphur diesel.

b. discuss the impact on the environment of using high sulphur fuels.

is b. do i answer like talking about like how it causes acid rain?

i do not know how to calculate Question a.
Yeah for b) basically, go:

Using high sulfur fuels in many fuel stations involves the smelting of sulfide ores.

This forms sulfur dioxide -> give balanced equation.

Effects of sulfur dioxide - London Fog 1952, general health effects e.g. breathing difficulties, bronchitis (I got bronchitis! LOL), eye irritation and damage, asthma and worsening of emphysema for smokers, chronic coughing, and headaches.

Then talk about how rain in general has is slightly acidic (pH < 7) as water reacts with carbon dioxide to form a weak carbonic acid.

However, when sulfur dioxide reacts with rain/water, it forms sulfurous acid -> give balanced equation. This sulfuruous acid oxidises to form sulfuric acid -> give balanced equation.

This causes the rain to have a pH of < 5, causing it to be acid rain.

Acid rain can have several negative environmental, social and economic impacts.

Environmental:

- Lowers pH of many waterways, resulting in many marine species suffering damage to their reproductive cycles, eventually killing them. For example, freshwater fish need to have a pH of ~ 7 for optimal functioning. Acidification of freshwater lakes e.g. Great Lakes of North America can kill these species, further damaging food cycles and resulting in destruction of marine ecosystems -> give equation for ionisation of H2SO4 --> say how the hydrogen ions contribute to the acidity.
- Pine forests, crops and plants can also get destroyed through acid rain, posing a threat to food webs of certain animals e.g. in Black Forest of Germany.

Social/Cultural:

- Acid rain can erode and corrode many statues, buildings, structures and monuments, many of which have strong cultural significance. The destruction of these is a negative impact for cultural awareness, as highlighted by the acidification of many limestone status --> give equation of CaCO3 reacting with sulfuric acid.

Economic:

- Acid rain can also cause damage to buildings and bridges, many of which are extremely expensive to replace, as highlighted by the wearing of bridges made of iron - give equation of sulfuric acid reacting with iron to form hydrogen and a salt.

Should be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)