Calisthenics: weighted for less reps or body weight for volume (1 Viewer)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Thoughts?

What will get me the most jacked as quick as possible 😈😈😈🔥🔥🔥

No seriously though what are our options on this - E.g. if I can do 10 pull-ups and 10 dips with added weight should I be keeping it at that level, or upping the weight to where my failure is closer to 4-6???

This is vital HSC information of course, for my wellbeing and all that other crap...

THANKS ALL ✨

Last edited:

chigurh07

HSC
I think both rep ranges are fine for muscle growth, but be careful with upping the weight as it makes you prone to injury unless you warm up thoroughly. For example I used to do 25kg pull ups and 45kg dips for 3 sets of 5 and ended up with some shoulder impingement due to not spending enough time on warming up, whereas if I do higher reps with less weight for 3 sets of 10-12 I find that I still get decent muscle growth with less risk of injury, plus it takes less time as I usually spend 2-3 minutes for rest when doing 3x10-12 as opposed to 3-5 minutes for 3x5. Regardless of whether you do 4-6 reps or 10, its important to eat in a caloric surplus to gain muscle quickly

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
I think both rep ranges are fine for muscle growth, but be careful with upping the weight as it makes you prone to injury unless you warm up thoroughly. For example I used to do 25kg pull ups and 45kg dips for 3 sets of 5 and ended up with some shoulder impingement due to not spending enough time on warming up, whereas if I do higher reps with less weight for 3 sets of 10-12 I find that I still get decent muscle growth with less risk of injury, plus it takes less time as I usually spend 2-3 minutes for rest when doing 3x10-12 as opposed to 3-5 minutes for 3x5. Regardless of whether you do 4-6 reps or 10, its important to eat in a caloric surplus to gain muscle quickly
fair enough - to be honest ive literally been doing like 3x10 per day for both pullups and dips in the backyard just for some basic strength training (for the past week or so) and that's it, and then I remembered I had a weight belt thingy today and tried with added 10kg

so it's not like I'm fully pushing myself to failure with each and every rep, and I probably won't injure myself at the low added weight, but I'll defintely focus on that caloric surplus

also doing 45kg for dips is insane wtaf

chigurh07

HSC
fair enough - to be honest ive literally been doing like 3x10 per day for both pullups and dips in the backyard just for some basic strength training (for the past week or so) and that's it, and then I remembered I had a weight belt thingy today and tried with added 10kg

so it's not like I'm fully pushing myself to failure with each and every rep, and I probably won't injure myself at the low added weight, but I'll defintely focus on that caloric surplus
Maybe instead of doing 3x10 per day, do it every other day to let muscles recover, and if you want to make your training more fun you could alternate between 3x10 and 3x4-6 rep ranges and progressively overload for each rep range, as long as you don't push yourself to failure you can avoid injuries and still get strength/muscle gains

also doing 45kg for dips is insane wtaf
Haha thanks but i reckon 45kg can be achieved by almost anyone, just needs consistency and progressive overload for a year or two, i couldn't even do a proper pull up or dip when i started so i started off with easier progressions and increased difficulty from there

[Blank]

[Blank]
HSC
Uni Grad
Thoughts?

No seriously though what are our options on this - E.g. if I can do 10 pull-ups and 10 dips with added weight should I be keeping it at that level, or upping the weight to where my failure is closer to 4-6???

This is vital HSC information of course, for my wellbeing and all that other crap...

THANKS ALL ✨

edit: I feel like I should summon @[Blank] to this thread for his advice (hi Blank, welcome, welcome)
I don’t get notified ever with that cheat I taught you, so I can never be summoned unless if @Hivaclibtibcharkwa directly messages me first, which in this case, he has.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Maybe instead of doing 3x10 per day, do it every other day to let muscles recover, and if you want to make your training more fun you could alternate between 3x10 and 3x4-6 rep ranges and progressively overload for each rep range, as long as you don't push yourself to failure you can avoid injuries and still get strength/muscle gains
A rest day or two will probably help 😅
Tbh I don't ever feel sore during or after these sets, it feels pretty light all up and I'm just hoping that I'll build muscle over time

Actually now that I think about it, I can feel it right now because I pushed myself to use added weight, buuuuut.... anyways
Maybe I just have a bad misconception that it's only a 'good' workout if it hurts after (like it used to when I first started calisthenics and bouldering two years ago)

I don’t get notified ever with that cheat I taught you, so I can never be summoned unless if @Hivaclibtibcharkwa directly messages me first, which in this case, he has.
so blank what are your thoughts 😭

HSC
Thoughts?

THANKS ALL ✨

edit: I feel like I should summon @[Blank] to this thread for his advice (hi Blank, welcome, welcome)
depends what your goal is. Lower reps = strength training (sets of up to 8 reps), then higher reps = muscle building (8-12 reps). Also, when you do multiple sets, although you can do 10 pull-ups the first time you might struggle to get close to that in set 2, so just consider that.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
depends what your goal is. Lower reps = strength training (sets of up to 8 reps), then higher reps = muscle building (8-12 reps). Also, when you do multiple sets, although you can do 10 pull-ups the first time you might struggle to get close to that in set 2, so just consider that.
yeah that's true that's true

but then surely doing weighted for 8-12 reps is ideal???

HSC
yeah that's true that's true

but then surely doing weighted for 8-12 reps is ideal???
Yeah weighted just helps bring the reps down once you get stronger to a muscle-building rep range. But have you thought of doing more than calisthenics or a larger variety of calisthenic exercises to build muscle?

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
have you thought of doing more than calisthenics or a larger variety of calisthenic exercises to build muscle?
more than calisthenics = gym ----no I don't want to do that because I'd rather stick to more functional movement for climbing (that being said I have some free weights at home that I sometimes use)
larger variety of calisthenic exercises --> im assuming you mean things like pushups, squats, lol muscle ups, etc etc??? what else - i kinda just want to stick to basics rather than random variations

[Blank]

[Blank]
HSC
Uni Grad
So, in regards to your goal to gain muscle and I assume lose fat at the same time as quickly as possible, from experience as someone who had an extreme body transformation in the past, below is the priority list that you need to understand before we start getting into the specifics:
  1. Eliminate Junk food.
  2. Allow yourself to feel hungry and hold that feeling for at least an hour before you start eating food. Don’t worry about the benefits of self control, mentality, intimidate fasting, etc. Instead, just authentically understand that food should be approached from the perspective of an energetic child who is so preoccupied with ‘playing’ that they end up forgetting to eat, rather than having ‘cravings’ like most bored adults.
  3. Mentality - understand that your beliefs of what is right and wrong doesn’t amount to anything, for true judgement comes from an intuitive understanding that can only exist with the elimination of ego, so, don’t even take MY advice to heart when it comes to ‘forgetting to eat’ for example. Instead, just do what is GENUINELY sensible.
  4. Inspiration - without having something to possess you towards moving into a particular direction, you won’t even complete the first step, so be sure that the next time you see someone at school for example being able to do a backflip - when backflips seem to be an impossiblility that’s put on a pedestal within your HEART, not mind - then with a childlike approach, strive to be someone who can blow away the person who blew you away. This is how I personally started getting into calastenics, and ultimately was able to go from not being able to WALK, to being able to do a semi-planch.
  5. Get devoted - devotion is key to consistency, principles, and respecting the things that you admire. In order to be devoted, and to prove your devotion, you must consciously create a sense of yearning, longing, and wish “If Only…” every time that you think of that initial inspiration. If for whatever reason you accidentally undermined your inspiration, and the dream ‘got old’, you can return back to t he same childlike state again by allowing yourself to remember that you’re nothing in the grand scheme of things, effectively eliminating your resurfaced ego, and putting the initial inspiration back into a pedestal. Through that, if you don’t allow your self to get distracted and hold your attention towards this intense causer of inspiration, also known as a “spiration”, then you can one day reach the peak state of devotion, and become someone who can achieve their dreams, whatever it may be.
  6. Be the best - This ties back into the idea of trying to blow away the thing that blew you away, and this must be approached from a stance of humility, gratitude, and sense of grace. Ultimately, this allows you to level up your stage of consciousness from that of an observer, to “The Humble Narcissist”, which is the feeling you get from being GENUINELY The MAIN Character.
Now, with that out of the way, the best way to go about the actual training side of things without finding yourself in “tutorial hell” (if you don’t know what that is, look it up), I recommend you go for a calisthenic goal of trying to be capable of doing 100 push ups in a row without rest.

Keep going with these major milestones in mind, and you’ll be strong enough to one day do a superhuman move like doing a planch.

If you prioritise body building specifically over strength training, then I recommend that you study up on the proper rotations of joints, like shoulders and upper legs, for they are prone to injury - trust me, I know.

Finally, in regards to body building, design your workouts the same way you would calisthenics. Instead of trying to reach a major goal of doing 100 push ups in a row, try and reach the goal of doing 100 20kg bench presses in a row, and then eincrease the weight more so than the amount of reps, in order to get the maximum amount of gains with the least amount of time wasted.

Be sure not to skip leg day, and if a body part feels weaker or unsupported compared to other parts of your body, be sure to put more focus on the major goals that incorporate said muscle.

That is all, thank you for reading.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
So, in regards to your goal to gain muscle and I assume lose fat at the same time as quickly as possible, from experience as someone who had an extreme body transformation in the past, below is the priority list that you need to understand before we start getting into the specifics:
  1. Eliminate Junk food.
  2. Allow yourself to feel hungry and hold that feeling for at least an hour before you start eating food. Don’t worry about the benefits of self control, mentality, intimidate fasting, etc. Instead, just authentically understand that food should be approached from the perspective of an energetic child who is so preoccupied with ‘playing’ that they end up forgetting to eat, rather than having ‘cravings’ like most bored adults.
  3. Mentality - understand that your beliefs of what is right and wrong doesn’t amount to anything, for true judgement comes from an intuitive understanding that can only exist with the elimination of ego, so, don’t even take MY advice to heart when it comes to ‘forgetting to eat’ for example. Instead, just do what is GENUINELY sensible.
  4. Inspiration - without having something to possess you towards moving into a particular direction, you won’t even complete the first step, so be sure that the next time you see someone at school for example being able to do a backflip - when backflips seem to be an impossiblility that’s put on a pedestal within your HEART, not mind - then with a childlike approach, strive to be someone who can blow away the person who blew you away. This is how I personally started getting into calastenics, and ultimately was able to go from not being able to WALK, to being able to do a semi-planch.
  5. Get devoted - devotion is key to consistency, principles, and respecting the things that you admire. In order to be devoted, and to prove your devotion, you must consciously create a sense of yearning, longing, and wish “If Only…” every time that you think of that initial inspiration. If for whatever reason you accidentally undermined your inspiration, and the dream ‘got old’, you can return back to t he same childlike state again by allowing yourself to remember that you’re nothing in the grand scheme of things, effectively eliminating your resurfaced ego, and putting the initial inspiration back into a pedestal. Through that, if you don’t allow your self to get distracted and hold your attention towards this intense causer of inspiration, also known as a “spiration”, then you can one day reach the peak state of devotion, and become someone who can achieve their dreams, whatever it may be.
  6. Be the best - This ties back into the idea of trying to blow away the thing that blew you away, and this must be approached from a stance of humility, gratitude, and sense of grace. Ultimately, this allows you to level up your stage of consciousness from that of an observer, to “The Humble Narcissist”, which is the feeling you get from being GENUINELY The MAIN Character.
Now, with that out of the way, the best way to go about the actual training side of things without finding yourself in “tutorial hell” (if you don’t know what that is, look it up), I recommend you go for a calisthenic goal of trying to be capable of doing 100 push ups in a row without rest.

Keep going with these major milestones in mind, and you’ll be strong enough to one day do a superhuman move like doing a planch.

If you prioritise body building specifically over strength training, then I recommend that you study up on the proper rotations of joints, like shoulders and upper legs, for they are prone to injury - trust me, I know.

Finally, in regards to body building, design your workouts the same way you would calisthenics. Instead of trying to reach a major goal of doing 100 push ups in a row, try and reach the goal of doing 100 20kg bench presses in a row, and then eincrease the weight more so than the amount of reps, in order to get the maximum amount of gains with the least amount of time wasted.

Be sure not to skip leg day, and if a body part feels weaker or unsupported compared to other parts of your body, be sure to put more focus on the major goals that incorporate said muscle.

That is all, thank you for reading.
and this is why I summoned you to this thread 🤩
thank you blank you're a legend

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
rereading this again - we love a cheeky tutorial hell

I think my goal used to be to do a muscle up lmao
then I was able to do like five in a row

then I started studying for year 12

then I stopped exercising 💪

[Blank]

[Blank]
HSC
Uni Grad
rereading this again - we love a cheeky tutorial hell

I think my goal used to be to do a muscle up lmao
then I was able to do like five in a row

then I started studying for year 12

then I stopped exercising 💪
Same honestly.
I lost the people who I wanted to show off to who showed off to me, so my inspirations disappeared.

However, I’ve got the same inspiration towards things like drawing and writing, so I’m trying to become a mangaka instead of a bodybuilder now.

Of course though, I’d like to be otherworldly, so being the world’s sexiest mangaka, but also the most talented, would help me get to that point.

There are many ways that you can help you become the equals of those who you feel have an otherworldly presence, but ultimately, it comes down to the idea of being the indisputed champion, the best, the alien, the monster, the god.

This is why inspirations are so possessive, because we worship them to some extent due to this otherworldly aura.

Sorry for rambling, I always practice trying to make my ideas more concise and accurate than the previous attempt, for I have said this many times before in the past.

[Blank]

[Blank]
HSC
Uni Grad
Btw, if you don’t know what I mean by otherworldly presence, here’s a pretty good representation that I expect most to understand after first seeing it:

[Blank]

[Blank]
HSC
Uni Grad
Btw, if you don’t know what I mean by otherworldly presence, here’s a pretty good representation that I expect most to understand after first seeing it:
THIS, is what everyone must strive to become, at least at some point within their life.
If everyone was this passionate in a love or hate direction, then the entire universe would be under our influence.
That’s what it means to be in God’s image, for humanity is Devine.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
THIS, is what everyone must strive to become, at least at some point within their life.
If everyone was this passionate in a love or hate direction, then the entire universe would be under our influence.
That’s what it means to be in God’s image, for humanity is Devine.
I will have a look....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)