calling all engineering students!!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
ok heres my dilemma
i am doing 1st yr eng(biomedical)/com and i hear that engineering is quite computer orientated. I wanna buy a computer but am unsure whether to buy a desktop or laptop. I dont really wanna spend more than $1500. Do engneering students need a fast computer to run the programs like matlab, cad and whatver else there is?

I can basically get quite a decent desktop or a not as fast laptop.... i am trying to weigh up the pro's and cons of each. Also if i get a desktop i will have to spend another couple of hundred setting up the adsl in my room so thats another factor.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If the reason you're considering a laptop is to take lecture notes on it I wouldn't bother, from what I've heard noone has followed that idea for more than a week.

doe

HSC
N/A
i think a lot of software like matlab and stuff for cad is for unix, and trust me when i say you wont be able to afford that. we had to use matlab for a while at uni (i am doing computing not engineering) and i could either use the labs or use the command line version by logging in remotely via ssh (which is what i would usually do). i am not too sure about cad but my mate works with it daily and it runs on unix, i am sure there would be cad for win32 but check with your uni. it is unlikely even if it is for windows you can get a copy for your home pc unless the uni has cut a deal (which sometimes does happen).

my sister did an engineering degree (materials) with a pentium 200. in general if your university is not providing you with adequate resources to complete your coursework (ie pcs in a lab) you have grounds for a legitimate complaint.

i would say go a fast desktop and get a usb drive for moving files between uni. how would you access the net if you had a laptop?

doe

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
If the reason you're considering a laptop is to take lecture notes on it I wouldn't bother, from what I've heard noone has followed that idea for more than a week.
yep i dislike immensely electronic lectuture notes. they are such a pain in the arse to study off. from watching other people who take notes on a laptop in lectures ... it is easy if the lecture is boring to start playing games and stuff. my uni has wireless too which is another distraction.

laptops may seem sexy if youve never had one before but after the novelty wears off they are just another few kilos you have to lug around every day. not this year but next year i am going to get a new laptop. i will be getting the smallest, lightest one i can afford.

HSC
what is unix.....scuse my ignorance but i am relatively computer illiterate

so ur saying eng students dont require or are even able to have copies of the programs for home use. when i did tech drawing in yr 10 one of my mates had cad at home cos his brother in law was an architect/engineer (cant remember) and he said he could get me a copy
but that was a few yr ago now

if we dont need the programs at home i might not even bother getting a new computer......hmmmm

doe

HSC
N/A
having a home pc will be very convienient. labs can get very busy, especially around assignment due dates. i would still reccomend getting a desktop, but if it is not urgent wait a semester to see what it is like.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Doe's right. That software you talk about costs alot of money, so if you do use it, you would be better off using the uni's equipment.

However, you CAN get a decent laptop/desktop for $1500.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Software or hardware? Programming software is free.

Matlab and cad: you should be able to get a cheap copy from your uni, or perhaps a free copy from a generous uni student.

HSC
so ur saying that the programs are cheap slide rule........and others are saying it costs shitloads......

i dont know who to believe now

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Heh, a new copy of AutoCad2004, for example, cost my dad around $5000.
As far as I know (sorry, commencing architecture student talking here, father is an architectural draftsman), you're not expected to have that kind of software at home. If you're going to be using it, it'll be at the uni anyway.
As for "free" copies... I know they're much harder to get than the latest version of Quake or whatever. :p
So basically, my advice would be to keep your current/get a new desktop.

http://www.cad-software.com.au/acad/ - $6000 retail

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)