• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Calls to move Australia Day (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Although a boon for ANU law, Dodson was a bit of a bummer for Australian of the year. To slag off the celebrations like that was poor form; a real gnawing of the hand that fed you. All this guilt shit wont work. Reconcilliation has to entail some concessions on the indigenous side. They must submit to the idea that European settlement has been ultimately positive for their quality of life. They have a sympathetic government working full pelt to close the gap - it's about time that they take up their share of the responsibilities entailed in being Australian citizens

I mean, where would African-Americans be if they stubbornly retained their tribal customs? Where would they be if they stuck with the pre-Obama guilt politics? It's a dead road
Amen.

People are also afraid to remember that on the one hand, Aboriginal people want to have their own culture (which I completely support), but they also want to be part of another culture (which I also support). This obviously creates problems.

It seems a little illogical to demand that a celebration of European landing on Australia should be moved. This celebration obviously has nothing to do with Aboriginal culture, it obviously has to do with the European settlement of this country.

Why don't the Aboriginal people create a date for their own celebrations, and European-Australians can demand that they change it? But when you play tit for tat, of course, you're labelled a racist. :rolleyes:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
The original occupants and custodians of this land?
Uh, yeah.

I'm with exphate though. Changing the date isnt going to change whats happened. History remains whether you shift the rememberance date or you don't.
Umm, at most a tiny group of people in Botany Bay would have been displaced.

ubernuton

HSC
inavsion day

why is it we celibate the day we invaded a country and wiped out hundreds of cultures and thousands of poeple, something that if done today would be attacked by every nation around the world
we celibate genocide
australia is a good country thesedays however it's history is almost as bad as nazi germany, we should celibate australia today not the day we invaded a nation and wiped out 400 races.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Re: inavsion day

why is it we celibate the day we invaded a country and wiped out hundreds of cultures and thousands of poeple, something that if done today would be attacked by every nation around the world
we celibate genocide
australia is a good country thesedays however it's history is almost as bad as nazi germany, we should celibate australia today not the day we invaded a nation and wiped out 400 races.
Well if a group of people are celibate I don't think active genocide's really necessary.

ubernuton

HSC
It is surprising, I have no care for native american tribes, but i know of tharawal and i think it is darawhal also....both local to me. I have no problem with aboriginals, I just wonder how everyone can sit and criticize these people, without them or white australians we would not have the country or freedoms we have today. Yes there was suffering, yes there was wrong, but australia as a nation said sorry, and australia day now is so much more than celebrating when white man colonised. It is more about our rich cultural diversity, and how we have come from a penal colony to one of the greatest nations on earth. I dont think it should be moved, because it is not celebrated for the reasons in which offend aboriginals anymore. When was the first australia day anyway? did they celebrate it every year since they came? Because they suffered quite a bit when they came so the holiday probably didnt come round till quite some time after?
we went from being one of the greatest countrys on earth to a penal colony then to a mediocre capitalist hole

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
does anyone feel like that aboriginal guy is creating an isolation mentality by suggesting this?
What he is basicly saying when he refers to Australia Day as 'Invasion Day' is that i want all whites not to live on this continent.

History happened, and he didn't even live through it, now the attitues have changed and people try to offer equal opportunity for all australian residents aboriginals included. But this shmuck feels that he is still violated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)