Cambridge HSC MX1 Textbook Marathon/Q&A (2 Viewers)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: Year 12 Mathematics 3 Unit Cambridge Question & Answer Thread

Oops, my bad on the wording. I meant what to use as n and r.

Basically, two clumsy attempts whilst being tired weren't correct.

30C3.(3/5)^3.(2/5)^27
+30C4.(3/5)^4.(2/5)^26
+30C5.(3/5)^5.(2/5)^25 which I realised was obviously wrong but

5C3(3/5)^3 (2/5)^2 + 5C4 (3/5)^4 (2/5)^1 + 5C5 (3/5)^5 (2/5)^0. still didn't work
For the first two days chosen to be fine, the probability is: (prob. a day is fine)^2 = (12/30)^2

This Q. is like a coin toss Q. basically.

(We are assuming for this Q. that the weather of the days are independent of each other (which is probably not a valid assumption, but oh well).)

leehuan

HSC

Oh right I was staring at part b) though I did get stuck on both

The answers were a) 0.0124, b) 0.7102 (at 4d.p.)

But I'm feeling really dumb right now. I still can't see anything. Might need a more specific sketchout...

For a) If I assume the same day can get chosen twice I used (2/5)^2(3/5)^3 but that just gives 0.03456.

I don't know what I'm doing :frown2:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Oh right I was staring at part b) though I did get stuck on both

The answers were a) 0.0124, b) 0.7102 (at 4d.p.)

But I'm feeling really dumb right now. I still can't see anything. Might need a more specific sketchout...

For a) If I assume the same day can get chosen twice I used (2/5)^2(3/5)^3 but that just gives 0.03456.

I don't know what I'm doing :frown2:
I found how they got their answer to part a): they did (12/30)^5 (but this should be the probability that all days are fine, not the probability that the first two days are fine).

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

Oops, my bad on the wording. I meant what to use as n and r.

Basically, two clumsy attempts whilst being tired weren't correct.

30C3.(3/5)^3.(2/5)^27
+30C4.(3/5)^4.(2/5)^26
+30C5.(3/5)^5.(2/5)^25 which I realised was obviously wrong but

5C3(3/5)^3 (2/5)^2 + 5C4 (3/5)^4 (2/5)^1 + 5C5 (3/5)^5 (2/5)^0. still didn't work

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

In leehuan's version of the question (the one he typed up some posts ago), part a) just asked for the probability that the first two days are wet, which is different to your part a), which also requires the remaining days to be fine. Is leehuan's edition of the textbook different to yours?

leehuan

HSC

Facepalm... I didn't type a bit of the question...

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Facepalm... I didn't type a bit of the question...
Ah OK, that would explain the difference. Though if davidgoes4wce's version of the Q. is correct, then yes, the answers had a mistake, they did the probability all days were fine. This mistake could be added to the textbook mistakes thread if anyone wants to add it in.

leehuan

HSC

Ah OK, that would explain the difference. Though if davidgoes4wce's version of the Q. is correct, then yes, the answers had a mistake, they did the probability all days were fine. This mistake could be added to the textbook mistakes thread if anyone wants to add it in.
@david Please.

This disheartened my morning lol.

hedgehog_7

HSC

The amplitude of a particle moving in simple harmonic motion is 5 metres, and its acceleration when 2 metres from its mean position is 4 m/s^2. Find the speed of the particle at the mean position and when it is 4 m from the mean position.

do i form an equation of: x double dot = -n^2 (x - 2) ??

which becomes 4 = - n^2 (x-2) but then i dont know how to solve for n

or is the equation just 4 = -n^2 x 2

but then how do i get rid of the negative to get a value for n.

yeah i know really easy question, i just havent grasped the concept of shifting away from the centre. any reply will help heaps thanks!

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

The amplitude of a particle moving in simple harmonic motion is 5 metres, and its acceleration when 2 metres from its mean position is 4 m/s^2. Find the speed of the particle at the mean position and when it is 4 m from the mean position.

do i form an equation of: x double dot = -n^2 (x - 2) ??

which becomes 4 = - n^2 (x-2) but then i dont know how to solve for n

or is the equation just 4 = -n^2 x 2

but then how do i get rid of the negative to get a value for n.

yeah i know really easy question, i just havent grasped the concept of shifting away from the centre. any reply will help heaps thanks!
We can set the mean position to be x = 0.

So we can say v^2 = n^2 (A^2 - x^2), where A is the amplitude, n is the usual n (angular frequency is what n is).

(If we have centre of motion (mean position) x0 instead, the formula becomes v^2 = n^2 (A^2 - (x - x0)^2).)

We already know A = 5 (given), so v^2 = n^2 (25 - x^2).

Using SHM differential equation, we have x-double-dot = -n^2 x. We know x-double-dot = -4 when x = 4. (Remember in SHM, acceleration and x - x0 have opposite signs at all times.)

So -4 = -n^2 * 4, so n = 1.

So v^2 = 25 - x^2.

Now you can find v^2 when |x| = 4; at this moment, v^2 = 25 - 16 = 9, so the speed is 3 m/s.

Last edited:

hedgehog_7

HSC

We can set the mean position to be x = 0.

So we can say v^2 = n^2 (A^2 - x^2), where A is the amplitude, n is the usual n (angular frequency is what n is).

(If we have centre of motion (mean position) x0 instead, the formula becomes v^2 = n^2 (A^2 - (x - x0)^2).)

We already know A = 5 (given), so v^2 = n^2 (25 - x^2).

Using SHM differential equation, we have x-double-dot = -n^2 x. We know x-double-dot = -4 when x = 4. (Remember in SHM, acceleration and x - x0 have opposite signs at all times.)

So -4 = -n^2 * 4, so n = 1.

So v^2 = 25 - x^2.

Now you can find v^2 when |x| = 4; at this moment, v^2 = 25 - 16 = 9, so the speed is 3 m/s.
question, why is x double dot equal to -4 and not just 4? because isnt the acceleration just 4m/s^2. the problem i had with that was then since

x double dot = - n^2 x

is the x (the distance for the mean position) can it be equal to 2 or -2 ? since it can be above or below the mean position?? can i take it as x = -2, so when i sub it into x double dot, i can actually solve for n?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

question, why is x double dot equal to -4 and not just 4?
As I said, in simple harmonic motion, the acceleration and displacement from centre of motion are always opposite signs (this is because the acceleration is always trying to push the object back to its centre of motion, as you can visualise by imagining a pendulum for instance). So when x = 4 (displacement from centre of motion), the acceleration must be negative.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

question, why is x double dot equal to -4 and not just 4? because isnt the acceleration just 4m/s^2. the problem i had with that was then since

x double dot = - n^2 x

is the x (the distance for the mean position) can it be equal to 2 or -2 ? since it can be above or below the mean position?? can i take it as x = -2, so when i sub it into x double dot, i can actually solve for n?
If you take x to be negative, the acceleration you plug in needs to be positive.

And when they said the acceleration is 4 m s-2, that is a bit misleading, since what they really were referring to was the magnitude of the acceleration. But as I said, the acceleration and displacement have opposite signs, so you can deduce everything from that to solve for n.

hedgehog_7

HSC

If you take x to be negative, the acceleration you plug in needs to be positive.

And when they said the acceleration is 4 m s-2, that is a bit misleading, since what they really were referring to was the magnitude of the acceleration. But as I said, the acceleration and displacement have opposite signs, so you can deduce everything from that to solve for n.
oh ok thanks for clarifying, so when it states that the displacement from the mean position is 2, i CAN take it as x = 2 or x = -2? considering above and below respecitvely?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

oh ok thanks for clarifying, so when it states that the displacement from the mean position is 2, i CAN take it as x = 2 or x = -2? considering above and below respecitvely?
Yeah. You only need to take one of them to find n.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)